WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

9 minutes ago, Xavier said:

The numbers of SM:H are to be expected, and I suspect that Iron Man was not such a draw this time out, because audiences were at an equal measure intrigued and annoyed by his prominent presence, at least on marketing. I know I was.

I am also trying to remember the "WOW" action scene, and the only things that comes to mind is Spiderman trying to lift the rubble and the presence of Zendaya, who tried to be quirky but came off as weird.

Spiderman H gets a lot things right, but the shocking lack of epic action scenes, the long running time and the very sparse use of RDJ really compromise it. It's also too self-referential (which will be a major issue for MCU movies going forward, since we are now approaching two dozen movies in this franchise)

But, I have to repeat again, that SH, failed to provide the awesome action scenes that audiences demand nowadays. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Hey, I loved the first two movies but I felt the title of this one sucks and the marketing material was extremely on the nose (Woody's dialogue in the trailers for instance). I am going to see the film tomorrow based on the WOM on this forum moreso than the critics raving about it, but I was prepared to skip this one in theaters if the WOM turned out to be as bad as the marketing material. 

All the titles for this series kinda sucked tbh

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

All the titles for this series kinda sucked tbh

Dawn of the Rise of the War for the Planet of the Apes.

Spoiler

The Beginning

Spoiler

Part 1

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

The Apes franchise underperforming is the definitive proof that audience doesn't give a damn about quality. They did everything right with this franhice, two great previous movies that were hits with both critics and audiences, they built an excitant hook for this new movie, it received great reviews, and it's the best movie of summer, and one of the best of year. But it still being ignored by a big part of the audiences. I'm pretty sure that the previous movies were liked by audiences only because of the VFX aspect. Urgh, it makes me want to throw up. So disappointing.

It's strange: I've seen the Heston Apes movie a dozen times or more, and consider it one of my favorite sci-fi movies ever. But as I type this, I still haven't seen any of Reeves' Ape films. I couldn't tell you exactly why: Everyone I know who has seen them recommends them highly. I guess I'm just not that keen on seeing how the apes takeover happened. Seems too sad/tragic... not a fun watch at all. I hear that by pretty early in the trilogy you end up rooting against the humans and for the apes - again, not a take I'm really that interested in seeing.  I'm sure I'll watch them eventually, but the excitement just isn't there for me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Dawn of the Rise of the War for the Planet of the Apes.

Hide contents

The Beginning

Hide contents

Part 1

Tim Burton's Beneath the Escape of the Conquest of the Battle of the Return of the Rise of the Dawn of the War of the Planet of the Apes (1968)

• Like 4

Spider man Homecoming's RT score will hurt rather than help. When you see articles talking about how it is the highest rated superhero film alongside The Dark Knight you will

go in with some massive expectations(yes I know average and all that but people only look at the score)

23 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Let's not sugarcoat it: people always underestimate films with predominantly black casts. Expressions like "will it play between the coasts?" "rural areas won't go for it" and "it's a niche film" are basically code for "white people don't like to see black movies." Which I believe is BS. 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/02/24/movies/oscars-state-by-state-movie-popularity.html

You can see some "black movie" being really popular in the south east of the US and less everywhere else (and vice versa for a movie like Arrival/Hell or high water)

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

Went through quite a few pages back, looks like you guys had a blast last night with RTH riddles, especially with the first spidey cover  lol

Shitty number over all, glad for BD and WW as usual ....

6 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Apparently that the name for Apes was too long for GA audience to remember and pay attention, hardly any of my friend could remember the name of movie when they said about the movie,

I only learned that in some of their eyes, planet of apes was interchangeable with The Jungle book......  

yeah not sure what were they thinking with those Titles ...they could simply do the below

PLanet of The Apes: Dawn

PLanet of The APes: Rise

PLanet of The Apes: War

^that's still bad. i mean i'm pretty sure the first one was originally called Rise of the Apes but they changed it, right? that's fine. i don't really like those generic movie title words that don't mean anything like "rise" "dawn" "age" "revenge" or whatever but it flows a little better.

1 hour ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

The Apes franchise underperforming is the definitive proof that audience doesn't give a damn about quality. They did everything right with this franhice, two great previous movies that were hits with both critics and audiences, they built an excitant hook for this new movie, it received great reviews, and it's the best movie of summer, and one of the best of year. But it still being ignored by a big part of the audiences. I'm pretty sure that the previous movies were liked by audiences only because of the VFX aspect. Urgh, it makes me want to throw up. So disappointing.

Perhaps people just aren't that interested in the story or the characters, no matter how well-made the film is. All sorts of well-made movies underperform at the box office.

Edited by LonePirate
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brainiac5 said:

Pretty soon we all are gonna understand that these online scores sometimes isn't accurate to the film as much of them are Fanboy driven.

They are fanboy driven, but much less than youtube video rants about a movie like that.

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

It's no more arthouse than other Apatow films. It just didn't have any appeal outside of big areas. 

But Apatow movies tend to have more starpower in them also (in one era were it clearly still matter is comedy), that make that one look more arthouse than those with Ferrel or something like Trainwreck. Maybe it is not at all in the actual content but not one have seen the movie before buying is ticket.