cannastop

Onward | Dan Scanlon directing | March 6, 2020 | Coming to VOD on March 20. Coming to Disney+ April 3

10 hours ago, DAJK said:

Looks fun, but I can tell this movie is going to be a deep look at sibling relationships, maybe even at relationships kids have with their parents. 

They are going on an adventure to rediscover magic so they can spend just one day with their father who died when they were to young to remember him.

• Sad 1

It looks... fine? It's basically Zootopia with fantasy creatures. The humor comes mostly from the core concept of fantasy creatures doing contemporary things, not so much.... Chris Pratt's weird accent. Although I presume that accent is fake even in the movie. But regardless, that's not necessarily a bad thing, though, as this was a funny trailer. The unicorns at the end were probably the more amusing parts, they got a nice laugh out of me. Ultimately, it looks cute and fine, but it does remind me more of a WDAS movie, or dare I say DreamWorks, than it does Pixar proper. Even in the animation style, which felt a lot faster than normal for Pixar movies.

That being said, the trailer was funny, the cast is very appealing, the concept sounds pretty cool.... it has all the tools for success.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

On 5/31/2019 at 5:29 AM, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Love it already, if this strikes a chord, I think it can become the biggest film of 2020.

The f*ck??

This is just some third tier Pixar, man - pls don't start the "Pika and Godzilla will rule over all" bullsh!t for next year so early...

That said - it looks way better for the Shay than most Pixars this side of Brave. Even if it is disgustingly American-centric again (a terrible recurring sin of Pixar) - at least this time the nauseatingly gooey "life-lessons" for slowpokes will be dressed in a supposedly beautiful and funny fantasy world*, so that I could at least have something to look at. Which I can NOT do with Toy Story 18, because it is stupid dressed in ugly. Nothing to see there.

* the unicorns were truly hilarious :)

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 1

On 6/2/2019 at 11:15 PM, shayhiri said:

The f*ck??

This is just some third tier Pixar, man - pls don't start the "Pika and Godzilla will rule over all" bullsh!t for next year so early...

That said - it looks way better for the Shay than most Pixars this side of Brave. Even if it is disgustingly American-centric again (a terrible recurring sin of Pixar) - at least this time the nauseatingly gooey "life-lessons" for slowpokes will be dressed in a supposedly beautiful and funny fantasy world*, so that I could at least have something to look at. Which I can NOT do with Toy Story 18, because it is stupid dressed in ugly. Nothing to see there.

* the unicorns were truly hilarious :)

I never said Godzilla would rule the year or anything close to that. I may have had a club for Godzilla over Aladdin but don’t say stuff that isn’t true.

Now Pikachu is fair game but that was more bold for he sake of boldness.

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

It would have to do extraordinarily well somewhere though. Europe? Asia?

China could work if the family stuff really connects like Coco did.