cannastop

Onward | Dan Scanlon directing | March 6, 2020 | Coming to VOD on March 20. Coming to Disney+ April 3

14 hours ago, dudalb said:

I am just not seeing the kind of buzz for this you usually get for a Pixar film.

in my experience, other than ts4, frozen movies, and incredible 2 , i have not see , pixar or walt disney animation , to have big buzz, they become big when the wom comes

• Like 2

Everytime a Pixar Original is about to open, there's always several persons claiming there's no buzz. I follow them since 2010, and the only original movie that got some buzz before the release was Inside Out, and yet, people never learn.

Remember when people said there was zero buzz for Coco and it would gross under Cars 3 both DOM and WW? It did the double of this movie WW. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Coco's DOM still disappoints me somewhat cause of its OW and A+ score. Thank god for China.

But yeah hard to gauge interest for an original kids film.

imo coco was way bigger than i t thought, with the themes it had , and some good competition, 200+ dom from 50 weekd for an original animated film, is nothing to sneeze at and again coco without china would have made like 620 mill still, thats very good

coco also faced, thor 3, and justice league

Edited by john2000
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Coco's DOM still disappoints me somewhat cause of its OW and A+ score. Thank god for China.

But yeah hard to gauge interest for an original kids film.

It wasn't HUGE only in China, take off China's gross and it made $410m OS which is huge for an original Animation even with China, let alone without them.

It did massive across the whole LA. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, john2000 said:

imo coco was way bigger than i t thought, with the themes it had , and some good competition, 200+ dom from 50 weekd for an original animated film, is nothing to sneeze at and again coco without china would have made like 620 mill still, thats very good

coco also faced, thor 3, and justice league

206M DOM is decent from that OW. You can compare it to other Thanksgiving Disney/Pixar animated openers it's in the middle of the pack. It had way better legs than The Good Dinosaur, slightly better than Ralph 2, slightly worse than Moana, and obviously worse legs than Frozen. Not great, not terrible as Comrade Dyatlov would say.

Edited by misafeco
  • Thanks 2

When Jurassic World had the biggest OW ever at the time, I'm pretty sure most of us thought that Inside Out would be hit hard by the competition. Then, it opened up to $90M. 

It always comes down to the word of mouth.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

With Disney realizing that they're going to be losing money from China over the next few months, and movies like Mulan are certainly not going to perform to some lofty expectations, I think they should really trying to be marketing the hell out of this. It could do very well in the US if it's quality, as well as in Europe and Latin America imo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

With Disney realizing that they're going to be losing money from China over the next few months, and movies like Mulan are certainly not going to perform to some lofty expectations, I think they should really trying to be marketing the hell out of this. It could do very well in the US if it's quality, as well as in Europe and Latin America imo

Hence why I think they're going to push this hard.

I really, really hope this does well. I love Pixar in general. but I always love seeing their original stories break out! I'd be really happy with a Zootopia-like opening. It doesn't even have to have Zootopia's legs. A domestic total approaching $300M would be fantastic.

• Like 3