cannastop

Onward | Dan Scanlon directing | March 6, 2020 | Coming to VOD on March 20. Coming to Disney+ April 3

Pixar needs to branch out and makes its Joker or something.

Change ONE ingredient, is that too much to ask ?

Or assembly line filmmaking all the way.

At this point, Pixar engineers have probably implemented very efficient AI protocols that allow those indistinguishible movies from one another to direct themselves.

"Siri, make me a new Pixar movie"

and Voilà !

New acclaimed Pixar movie coming right up !

Technology fuk yay !

Edited by The Futurist
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 3

1 hour ago, WorkingonaName said:

Cars 3 is the most forgotten film IMO

I would say monster university. Cars 3 is atleast remembered as being the better sequel than Cars 2. Monster university is not remembered for being bad or good, most of its strong points were better in its predecessor and with the setting of an university, its not like there is something remarkable about it. With it also being a prequel, it doesnt really matter anyway, a good sequel could elevate a franchise, a bad sequel kill it, a prequel does mostly just nothing.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MikeQ said:

Pixar's track record in terms of critical acclaim is still remarkable to me (and in combination with their overall box office success). Now looking like 21 out of 22 films with a positive critical reception, and 20 of them 'Certified Fresh' on RT. I'm curious to see how Onward does at the box office.

Pixar Movie RT Scores and Multipliers

90%+ RT Score Class

Toy Story — 100% (9.0 rating) — 6.58 (using 3-day), 4.91 (using 5-day)

Toy Story 2 — 100% (8.7 rating) — 4.28 (using first wide weekend)

Finding Nemo — 99% (8.7 rating) — 4.83

Toy Story 3 — 98% (8.9 rating) — 3.76

Inside Out — 98% (8.9 rating) — 3.94

Up — 98% (8.7 rating) — 4.30

Toy Story 4 — 97% (8.4 rating) — 3.59

Coco — 97% (8.3 rating) — 4.13 (using 3-day), 2.88 (using 5-day)

The Incredibles — 97% (8.3 rating) — 3.71

Ratatouille — 96% (8.5 rating) — 4.39

Monsters, Inc — 96% (8.0 rating) — 4.09

Wall-E — 95% (8.5 rating) — 3.55

Incredibles 2 — 94% (7.9 rating) — 3.33

Finding Dory — 94% (7.6 rating) — 3.60

A Bug’s Life — 92% (7.9 rating) — 4.89 (using 3-day wide weekend), 3.56 (using 5-day wide)

Certified Fresh & Fresh

Onward — 81% (7.4 rating) — TBD (with 48 reviews)

Monsters University — 80% (6.8 rating) — 3.26

Brave — 79% (7.0 rating) — 3.58

The Good Dinosaur — 76% (6.6 rating) — 3.14 (using 3-day), 2.22 (using 5-day)

Cars — 75% (6.9 rating) — 4.06

Cars 3 — 70% (6.1 rating) — 2.85

Rotten

Cars 2 — 38% (5.5 rating) — 2.89

Peace,

Mike

The Toy Story franchise is especially remarkable! What a run! I also like how the first film of that franchise was Pixar's first film, period. It's quite fitting. Nothing says Pixar like Toy Story.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, WorkingonaName said:

Cars 3 is the most forgotten film IMO

16 hours ago, JWR said:

The Good Dinosaur and Cars 3 fall into the category of harmless and decent, but not remarkable, in my opinion. 

15 hours ago, Coldbird said:

I would say monster university. Cars 3 is atleast remembered as being the better sequel than Cars 2. Monster university is not remembered for being bad or good, most of its strong points were better in its predecessor and with the setting of an university, its not like there is something remarkable about it. With it also being a prequel, it doesnt really matter anyway, a good sequel could elevate a franchise, a bad sequel kill it, a prequel does mostly just nothing.

All of you are so wrong it's hilarious

Spoiler

scale?aspectRatio=1.78&format=jpeg

• Like 2

Dory's adulation surprises me. Felt it was B-level Pixar like Brave but the scale was grander and visually refreshing to be back in the marine world. 94% on critics RT, phew. To each her/his own though. Fav Pixar sequel - TS3 (haven't watched TS4). Fav original - Ratatouille.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

As a father of girl with special needs, I loved Dory. The scenes with Dory and her parents resonated big time. The octopus character was brilliant as well and the world building was great. Of course climax was weak but none of these movies are perfect. 

Incredible 2 also had great moments and Jack-Jack character was brilliant. It had great parenting moments as well and bird is a brilliant director at keeping us engaged. 

I loved Toy Story 4 as well. Great characters and wonderful climax and Woody's arc is complete. Toy Story 3 was even better and Inside Out was best of last decade. I liked coco a lot(especially brilliant climax) but that was mid tier otherwise. Weakest movies of last decade are Cars 2, Brave and Good Dinosaur. Cars 2 was plain bad while Brave was meh. Good Dinosaur had potential but it was messed up production. Monsters University was mid tier but it was hard movie to crack being a prequel to a movie that was not warranted. 

• Like 10
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, a2k said:

Dory's adulation surprises me. Felt it was B-level Pixar like Brave but the scale was grander and visually refreshing to be back in the marine world. 94% on critics RT, phew. To each her/his own though. Fav Pixar sequel - TS3 (haven't watched TS4). Fav original - Ratatouille.

Looking back, I do find it a bit surprising that Dory scored as high as it did (with both its tomatometer and its average score), but with Pixar, even their lesser films have their share of devotees, and it's always interesting to see which films people have as their favourites. Theoretically, there are FAR more ways to rank Pixar films than there are people in the world, so it's very unlikely that two people are gonna have the exact same list, even if favourites or least favourites may be constants. I know that I've yet to find a list that matches mine one-to-one, so it always makes for an interesting discussion anytime rankings are brought up in forums.

TS3 is my favourite Pixar sequel, while Inside Out is my favourite original. But even stuff that goes under the radar for me sometimes gets rediscovered as a bit of a gem later on. Case in point: I recently rewatched Ratatouille for the first time in over a decade and loved it even more than I had remembered as a kid. And this scene will never not be amazing:

Edited by PNF2187

3 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

No way to spin this. 

Hype is very low for Pixar movie + reviews are mediocre for a pixar movie. 

Pixar movies don't usually need fan screening to build up wom. 

Pixar is counterpart to Marvel Studios. 

Not very good at all. 

pixar movie dont have hype other than ts4 and inc 2 , and even ts4 felt low , idk what you mean by  the other things, 82 on rt is a great score, but anyway, i wont try to change your mind, you believe what you believe , even though i highly disagree

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

All of you are so wrong it's hilarious

Hide contents

scale?aspectRatio=1.78&format=jpeg

I personally remember a bugs life pretty good, it rerun on tv pretty often in germany and for the fun fact that pixar and i think dreamworks made a movie about an ant at nearly the same time.

Nice to see this going up in the score (not the first time for a Pixar film, and hopefully not the last), probably gonna end up the range of the mid-high 80s, which is surprising how long it took for Pixar consider it's basically been the norm for WDAS for a while now. There's still a chance this could hit 90% and keep the mid-high 80% range 0-22 for Pixar, but the average score hasn't exactly changed as much as the tomatometer has, so it'll likely stay in the 80s.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dudalb said:

If it's a really good film, then marketing has blown it again, since the trailers gave me no desire to see this. If it was not Pixar I would not even be considering it  based on the trailers.

pixars trailers in general are not very good

• Like 1

On 2/21/2020 at 11:57 PM, dudalb said:

So critical response is it's a pretty good movie, but don't expect one of Pixar's masterpieces.

Now it's box office prospects are more up in the air then ever.

It won't bomb, but probably won't make what the last few Pixar movies have made.

I have to agree that since Pixar started to make two films a year every Pixar  movie is not the event they all once were.

TBF the last time they released two films in a year was 2017 but I wonder now Disney has Blue Sky if Pixar will go back to one film a year. Oddly, WDAS in recent years has only two films in a year when they skipped the previous year.