cannastop

Onward | Dan Scanlon directing | March 6, 2020 | Coming to VOD on March 20. Coming to Disney+ April 3

Saw this last weekend. It's not as imaginative or as fresh as many other Pixar originals, but it's still REALLY good. Great characters, great story, with some twist I didn't expect. Definitely way better than Monsters University, and I even like it more than Incredibles 2, which has a higher RT score. I cried at the end, but then again, a heartwarming family story always makes me cry. Overall, I loved it!

Edited by catlover
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

17 hours ago, JB33 said:

How likely do you guys think tracking will really ramp up in the days leading up to the 6th? Hoping for this to take the 2020 OW record (so far, I mean) from Bad Boys for Life.

it seems unlikely bue hey fingers crossed

87% on RT with 120 reviews (7.16 Average)

So after all it’s definitely finishing with +80%

So yeah, probably a pretty good movie that it’s not one of their best, and at this point we need to accept they didn’t need to always make movies that are among their classics.

• Like 6

So Onward's audience score is already showing... looking pretty good at 100%, 5/5 rating there

Edit: ...and now it's not showing

Edit 2: That said, it's nice to see the score going up, even if it doesn't really move much from here on out. I wonder if this is going to become a new trend for Pixar originals, because Coco started in the 80% range and moved it's way up to a 97% over the course of a month.

Edited by PNF2187
  • Like 1

On 3/3/2020 at 6:14 PM, dudalb said:

A Pixar film is just not the big must see event they once were.

Considering that Incredibles 2 opened at $188m (biggest ever for an Animation), Toy Story 4 opened at $121m (biggest ever for a 20 years old franchise), and that Onward is tracking for a $55m-$60m OW, despite facing the Corona fear, and a weak marketing campaign, I'd say you're quite wrong.

Pixar may have lost the touch for you, but not for the GA.

Also, really good to see it icreasing, it's nearing 90% at RT right now, far from the mediocre zone that people here were expecting. 

• Like 6

On 3/4/2020 at 2:57 AM, catlover said:

Saw this last weekend. It's not as imaginative or as fresh as many other Pixar originals, but it's still REALLY good. Great characters, great story, with some twist I didn't expect. Definitely way better than Monsters University, and I even like it more than Incredibles 2, which has a higher RT score. I cried at the end, but then again, a heartwarming family story always makes me cry. Overall, I loved it!

I agree. I thought it was better than INCREDIBLES II and FINDING DORY.

This is the first Tom Holland movie that he was actually good in. I loved Onward, it’s derivative, sort of meanders and slow at first but it gets going hard, has excellent voice work, and a strong heart and personally one of Pixar’s best tearjerker moments. It might be in my top 10 Pixar, competing with Wall-E, TS4 and Cars 3.

• Like 1

Just got back from this one. Not one of Pixar's absolute best, but it still has a lot going for it (and far better than most of their sequels in the last decade IMO). Great moments throughout, and while I do have some issues with it, it's still a plenty enjoyable film and I hope people see this (because a) it's good, and b) I don't want Pixar going back to sequels anytime soon).

Edit: also, what trailers did people get in front of this? I was in a 3D showing (why do I do this to myself I already wear glasses) and got Jungle Cruise and Mulan (the one that played Reflection though, not the one released around Super Bowl)

Edited by PNF2187
  • Like 1

Really enjoyed Onward, the way they approached the ending was a semi-surprise but also very pixar if I think about it, I liked it. Agree that Tom Holland does some amazing voice acting.

23 minutes ago, PNF2187 said:

Edit: also, what trailers did people get in front of this? I was in a 3D showing (why do I do this to myself I already wear glasses) and got Jungle Cruise and Mulan (the one that played Reflection though, not the one released around Super Bowl)

Mulan, Minions 2, Trolls world tour, Soul, Artemis fowl. 

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

This is the first Tom Holland movie that he was actually good in. I loved Onward, it’s derivative, sort of meanders and slow at first but it gets going hard, has excellent voice work, and a strong heart and personally one of Pixar’s best tearjerker moments. It might be in my top 10 Pixar, competing with Wall-E, TS4 and Cars 3.

:apocalypse:

• Like 1

Just saw it. Largely pretty wonderful. 
In my top ten Pixar’s for sure. The sentiment is beautiful, as their films usually are. Will mean more to some people than others, depending on your own life experience to date. 

there’s no doubt it’ll have great legs, unless Coronavirus madness hits peak fear level for audiences.  Without this going on in the background this has $250-300 million all over it, but who knows what’ll happen in the coming weeks at the box office. Regardless, the film is excellent - which is what matters the most. 

• Like 1