cannastop

Onward | Dan Scanlon directing | March 6, 2020 | Coming to VOD on March 20. Coming to Disney+ April 3

Oh man, what a wonderful movie! Discouraging that it's doing such average business. Yes, COVID-19 is a big part of that but we could see early on that there wasnt much hype behind this one.

Chris Pratt is hilarious in this! Guy is born for voice work, in my opinion. Also, as per usual, Pixar hit it out of the park with with the heart and themes. I was fighting tears almost as much as I was laughing.

All around it was a great time at the theatre, especially under the current circumstances. Add that on top of other stresses in our lives these days and this movie was just what the doctor ordered for my girlfriend and I. Glad we went!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Well, at least this movie will always have the (real) excuse of being the first blockbuster being affected by a Pandemic.

The same can't be said about some flops of this year (BoP, Do Little).

I don't know, still think it would have flopped worse than BoP without coronavirus. Like I doubt its DOM OW would have been much higher and it also had mediocre WoM from kids. 

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I don't know, still think it would have flopped worse than BoP without coronavirus. Like I doubt its DOM OW would have been much higher and it also had mediocre WoM from kids. 

Pre-sales were pointing out to a $50m OW, so yeah, it got hurt on the OW, also, the weekdays numbers showed us that it was having truly great legs (compared to Zootopia) before Friday, that was when things exploded, it would've easily done $160m-$180m DOM on a normal scenario. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Pre-sales were pointing out to a $50m OW, so yeah, it got hurt on the OW, also, the weekdays numbers showed us that it was having truly great legs (compared to Zootopia) before Friday, that was when things exploded, it would've easily done $160m-$180m DOM on a normal scenario. 

Presales werent showing that though. Presales on the tracking thread (100x more accurate than deadline) were showing 2-3 mil in previews and thats what we got. Also you can't use 2 days of data to make your point. The movie only performed like that on Monday and Tuesday.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Presales werent showing that though. Presales on the tracking thread (100x more accurate than deadline) were showing 2-3 mil in previews and thats what we got. Also you can't use 2 days of data to make your point. The movie only performed like that on Monday and Tuesday.

Check it out pre-sales topic, you'll see everyone predicting 50m-55m for the OW there, and the weekdays numbers doesn't lie, it would have some great legs on a normal market. 

8 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Check it out pre-sales topic, you'll see everyone predicting 50m-55m for the OW there, and the weekdays numbers doesn't lie, it would have some great legs on a normal market. 

First of all, no one except for keyserzone consistently tracks past previews so no one one the tracking thread had the data to make predictions other than previews except for keyszerone. Second of all, keyserzone's data showed sub-50 mil unless walkups were very good which they weren't. Also holdovers held well and The Way Back performed within expectations. If corona was such a big deal last weekend, all movies would have had huge drops. Also how were weekdays great but weekend was impacted by corona? Did people forget about the virus on Monday or something?

Also, 2 days of weekdays mean nothing. Even Charlie said that Onward would not be following Zootopia in terms of %. The cinemascore and posttrak score gave a better idea of WoM was and how the legs would have been.

Edited by lorddemaxus

11 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

First of all, no one except for keyserzone consistently tracks past previews so no one one the tracking thread had the data to make predictions other than previews except for keyszerone. Second of all, keyserzone's data showed sub-50 mil unless walkups were very good which they weren't. Also holdovers held well and The Way Back performed within expectations. If corona was such a big deal last weekend, all movies would have had huge drops. Also how were weekdays great but weekend was impacted by corona? Did people forget about the virus on Monday or something?

Also, 2 days of weekdays mean nothing. Even Charlie said that Onward would not be following Zootopia in terms of %. The cinemascore and posttrak score gave a better idea of WoM was and how the legs would have been.

1.  Because they were obviously being affected by Corona, do I actually need to explain it? It had an IM quite bad for an Animation which shows there were an impact on it. 

2. No, they didn't. TIM would've dropped like AQP or Split under a normal scenario, but it dropped almost 50% which is not good for a well received Horror movie, Sonic dropped 53% on it's fourth weekend, which is awful for a family movie, especially when the other family movie in the market disappointed.

3. LOL, where you've been living? Things only exploded on Thursday, that's the reason why everyone here expected huge thursday drops.

4.  According to Charlie himself:

The second weeknd drop would've been amazing if it weren't for this.

Bye.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

1.  Because they were obviously being affected by Corona, do I actually need to explain it? It had an IM quite bad for an Animation which shows there were an impact on it. 

2. No, they didn't. TIM would've dropped like AQP or Split under a normal scenario, but it dropped almost 50% which is not good for a well received Horror movie, Sonic dropped 53% on it's fourth weekend, which is awful for a family movie, especially when the other family movie in the market disappointed.

3. LOL, where you've been living? Things only exploded on Thursday, that's the reason why everyone here expected huge thursday drops.

4.  According to Charlie himself:

The second weeknd drop would've been amazing if it weren't for this.

Bye.

1. The movie had a bad IM literally because of that terrible Friday number. The day to day holds on the other days were normal (not as good as Zootopia but Zootopia had better WoM).

2. 50% drop for a well received horror movie is good lmao. Just because you had very high expectations doesn't mean it had a bad drop. You are just comparing it to just two movies in the genre. Sonic's 4th weekend was also against a 40 mil opener. Onward might have dissapointed but a 40 mil opener is still a big opener.

3. I was talking about the Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday numbers that you mention were "amazing". How come those days were so good eventhough things only exploded on Thursday? Shouldn't the weekend numbers also have been unaffected by the virus?

4. I honestly doubt Onward would be having the same holds Zootopia had throughout its run. A few days of it holding well means nothing.

Edited by lorddemaxus

2 hours ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Well, at least this movie will always have the (real) excuse of being the first blockbuster being affected by a Pandemic.

The same can't be said about some flops of this year (BoP, Do Little).

Dolittle gonna end up in the top 5 highest grossing movies of (at least the first half) the year :lol: 

14 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

At least Onward released in the middle of Corona scare. BoP was released in a month where CBMs have been breaking records in the past few years.