cannastop

Onward | Dan Scanlon directing | March 6, 2020 | Coming to VOD on March 20. Coming to Disney+ April 3

Just now, Saul Goodman said:

At least Onward released in the middle of Corona scare. BoP was released in a month where CBMs have been breaking records in the past few years.

Onward released a week before the corona scare really started affecting things. And CBMs were breaking records on the month BoP released? 

• Haha 2

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

Onward released a week before the corona scare really started affecting things. And CBMs were breaking records on the month BoP released? 

Unless we're trying really hard to make BoP's poor performance look better, lets not forget that Deadpool and Black Panther were February releases. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Unless we're trying really hard to make BoP's poor performance look better, lets not forget that Deadpool and Black Panther were February releases. :rolleyes:

Not Feb 2020. I don't care if a movie broke records 2 years ago. I'm not saying BoP didn't have a poor performance. I'm just saying that Onward would have still been a bigger flop. But ok, go off I guess.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

People are already scared on Onward release date

It just get worse after that, much worse

• Like 3

If some theaters remain open it could have nice legs at least. And perhaps even nicer when some theaters begin to re-open, but before studios feel confident enough to release their new blockbusters.

I hope the movie get rereleased by Disney, it only played for 7 days in most countries (and some couldn't get the movie at all). It's so stupid to think that it did poor bc of bad wom, last week everybody already had the corona fear. I don't understand the hate it's getting.

They really need to pull this movie from theaters and put it on Disney Plus. With Millions of kids at home it will likely get a strong audience and give some reward to the people who worked so hard on the film

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, John Marston said:

They really need to pull this movie from theaters and put it on Disney Plus. With Millions of kids at home it will likely get a strong audience and give some reward to the people who worked so hard on the film

I couldn't be bothered to go to the cinema to see it even pre-pandemic. But I'd certainly fire up a free trial to watch it on D+.

I hereby predict Onward's box office for New York City next weekend: 0.0000

Onward could finish under Spies in Disguise DOM (WW is already locked), another Tom Holland voiced animated film. Depends how quickly theaters close across the country.

Posted (edited)

I feel so bad for this movie. It's not going to get any better. NY, NJ, CT, and PA are all closing movie theaters. Would imagine other states will as well too

Edited by cheesypoofs
Autocorrect error
  • Sad 1

It would seem radical to do so for this, but really doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility with how crazy it has gotten, but I wonder if Disney will just bite the bullet on this and send it to Disney+ soon. Frozen 2 got added early because of everything going on

This was a cute movie. Too bad it fell victim to circumstances that were completely beyond its control.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

This was a cute movie. Too bad it fell victim to circumstances that were completely beyond its control.

I think even without the virus it would have ended up on the lower end of Pixar sucesses;but yeah, it got flattened by the virus.

So this is something I’ve considered for a little while now, but thought it was worth asking after seeing the First Cow thread... Is there any chance Disney gives this a rerelease once theaters reopen? Like even a minor one, just to make back some of the inevitable profit losses. Same with other studios/films who are having hurt legs from the virus?

Obviously this is connecting less than usual for Pixar, but a $40M opening should have been an easy $100-120M DOM for a family film, and now $80M is in question.

1 hour ago, nick64 said:

So this is something I’ve considered for a little while now, but thought it was worth asking after seeing the First Cow thread... Is there any chance Disney gives this a rerelease once theaters reopen? Like even a minor one, just to make back some of the inevitable profit losses. Same with other studios/films who are having hurt legs from the virus?

Obviously this is connecting less than usual for Pixar, but a $40M opening should have been an easy $100-120M DOM for a family film, and now $80M is in question.

Minor maybe. The issue is any re release has marketing and other costs. So it's not an issue of getting more profit it's an issue of making more money than the additional costs. Also theaters won't give a rerelease that many showings and most probably won't show the movie at all which greatly reduces potential income.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Disney shoudn't have released it right now, Pixar doesn't deserves to have such a flop on their resume. :( 

Pixar can always blame the virus.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This movie is going to have at best a 1.75 multiplier. Who woulda thunk

22 minutes ago, DAJK said:

This movie is going to have at best a 1.75 multiplier. Who woulda thunk

Worse WOM than even BvS 😞

On a serious note this is a movie whose BO has to have an asterix next to it. But it does not matter anyway. Disney will monetize it on post theaterical run whatever they can and write off the rest. At least they did not release Mulan(not that it could have happened).

• Like 1