Jump to content
cannastop

Onward | Dan Scanlon directing | March 6, 2020 | Coming to VOD on March 20. Coming to Disney+ April 3

Recommended Posts

Release this on Disney+.... at least while there is still (some) hype, earn some money out of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

Release this on Disney+.... at least while there is still (some) hype, earn some money out of it.

If they release this early on anything, it will be on a paid VOD service, not Disney+. The only reason Frozen 2 went onto Disney+ relatively quickly is because it has already had its Blu Ray/DVD release in the US.

 

They'll likely do what Universal and WB have done and release Onward to a VOD platform for $19.99.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So with Regal and AMC shutting their doors I have to imagine this is on VOD in the near future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, SoSaysI said:

So with Regal and AMC shutting their doors I have to imagine this is on VOD in the near future.

Or it gets re-released when theaters open again. I don't think enough people saw it to really impact the theatrical run. It is a tough call for Disney. They blew it on this one. Should have pushed the date or cancelled the release amid all the uncertainty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, doublejack said:

Or it gets re-released when theaters open again. I don't think enough people saw it to really impact the theatrical run. It is a tough call for Disney. They blew it on this one. Should have pushed the date or cancelled the release amid all the uncertainty.

It came out before Italy went on lockdown, which is when everything got really bad. So hard to fault them entirely for sticking to the release. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like this could have made a a lot of money in China (more than Soul will end up making) if they hadn't done this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

I feel like this could have made a a lot of money in China (more than Soul will end up making) if they hadn't done this.

How so? China isn't showing any new releases despite re-opening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JWR said:

How so? China isn't showing any new releases despite re-opening.

I'm assuming they will be showing new releases in May. I think this could have made decent money there if it got a proper release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, lorddemaxus said:

I'm assuming they will be showing new releases in May. I think this could have made decent money there if it got a proper release.

And again, I say they it's too early to say whether or not they could know that would be possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting some of that streaming money before putting it on Disney + I see 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Getting some of that streaming money before putting it on Disney + I see 

Odd that they’ve said it’ll be on Disney+ in two weeks while announcing it’s going to be on VOD tonight...surely people will just wait.

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeh it didn’t appear to be highly anticipated either 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This really seem like a throwaway for Pixar. Feels like they're just put it on Disney plus to get rid of it and focus on soul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm quite surprised Disney has decided to go the digital download and D+ route. I think this indicates they do not expect theaters to be open any time soon, and they decided it was better to release this while it was still in the public's minds rather than wait potentially a long time. A re-launch in many months would require marketing investment, which they may not recover. Plus there will be a backlog of other films fighting for dates.

 

I think this has next to zero financial benefit to Disney from this point. Big money loser for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disney knows they're going to lose a ton of $ from this (the whole year in general, so this is really just a drop in the bucket). If they truly care about their content and their films and their creators, they will try and help their movies reach as wide an audience as possible.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn well I guess this will probably finalise my decision to not watch this in cinemas. The Aussie release seems to still be going ahead though (for now). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Exceeded my expectations by a lot. Preferred Toy Story 4 to this but every moment in this movie is earned and the ending is extremely heartwarming (and also unconventional which is a pattern in Scanlon's movies). Clearly a personal movie for Dan Scanlon too. It's mid-tier Pixar but that's a 9/10 for me.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Exceeded my expectations by a lot. Preferred Toy Story 4 to this but every moment in this movie is earned and the ending is extremely heartwarming (and also unconventional which is a pattern in Scanlon's movies). Clearly a personal movie for Dan Scanlon too. It's mid-tier Pixar but that's a 9/10 for me.

It's a damn shame that this movie ended up being the biggest box office casualty of the whole Coronavirus shitshow. Granted, it was never going to be a HUGE hit, but it definitely deserved better than it got.

 

Hopefully, it'll find a second life on streaming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JWR said:

It's a damn shame that this movie ended up being the biggest box office casualty of the whole Coronavirus shitshow. Granted, it was never going to be a HUGE hit, but it definitely deserved better than it got.

 

Hopefully, it'll find a second life on streaming.

Not sure whether it is definitely the "biggest" hit as it at least had 2 weekends of decent box office runs, compared to

1) Bloodshot which was supposed to be a big hit overseas but barely had a week in theaters

2) Trolls which is premiering on digital at the same time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.