cannastop

Onward | Dan Scanlon directing | March 6, 2020 | Coming to VOD on March 20. Coming to Disney+ April 3

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Why not? what is the point having 2 studios doing similar things? from business perspective its sub optimal.

2 brands are better than one, double the power in the animation industry. You don’t see Universal merging Illumination and Dreamworks.

5 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Why not? what is the point having 2 studios doing similar things? from business perspective its sub optimal.

WDAS is in the Los Angeles Area and Pixar is in the Bay area. Are you suggesting they would make fewer films as a combined entity?

Just now, cannastop said:

WDAS is in the Los Angeles Area and Pixar is in the Bay area. Are you suggesting they would make fewer films as a combined entity?

That is a good point. Only way to maximize shareholder value at this point would be to spin out Pixar as a separate entity.

6 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

2 brands are better than one, double the power in the animation industry. You don’t see Universal merging Illumination and Dreamworks.

That is even worse. If pet2 and minions 2 underperform big time, they are left without any blockbuster movies and keeping lights on in 2 studios will become a pain. They would at least rationalize to one physical studio while keeping 2 brands.

Just now, cannastop said:

WTF? Sell off Pixar? Is that what you're suggesting?

if it were an entity of its own with 100% focus on maximizing its potential, I feel more could be done. It made sense for disney to purchase Pixar in mid 2000s when Disney Animation was in significant downward phase. Now that brand is super strong.

I am not sure with Disney being combo of all these different entities is maximizing value of individual ones.I could be wrong.

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

That is even worse. If pet2 and minions 2 underperform big time, they are left without any blockbuster movies and keeping lights on in 2 studios will become a pain. They would at least rationalize to one physical studio while keeping 2 brands.

Illumination still has Mario, and if they nail it I can see it pulling a Pets 1. Also Illumination does their animation overseas, which is why their budgets are at $70M-$80M, and with Dreamworks does outsource a few of their films. As much as I’d like Illumination to die, they still have a decent bit of power.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

if it were an entity of its own with 100% focus on maximizing its potential, I feel more could be done. It made sense for disney to purchase Pixar in mid 2000s when Disney Animation was in significant downward phase. Now that brand is super strong.

I am not sure with Disney being combo of all these different entities is maximizing value of individual ones.I could be wrong.

Considering Disney is all about brand power now I don’t see why Disney would do that especially when both names have power with the GA.

4 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

So would Disney have an interest in it or not?

9 minutes ago, cannastop said:

So would Disney have an interest in it or not?

When Disney bought Pixar, Pixar operated  within limits. One project at a time which release once in 2 years and no other avenues. Now they have ramped up significantly with ability to make 2 movies a year. next step should be look at other sources of revenue(Like TV Shows, Theme park or merchandise). As a stand alone business they can negotiate across studios to get max revenue as well.

if its spun off Disney will still be the biggest shareholder, just that its operated as a stand alone entity. Its win win for shareholders(I have some in Disney as well).

That is how business handles acquisitions and spin offs. Buy a small company, incubate, scale up and then spin off to maximize potential. I worked in a valley company which purchased a payments firm and spun it off after 12-13 years once they became big and had potential to grow bigger as separate entity. End shareholders benefit as they remain share holders of both the entities.

Other way to optimize is combine 2 studios to avoid redundant roles. But that would be counter productive since they are both thriving independently.

Edit: I am done with this discussion. This is not the ideal thread for this. I am anyway excited for next Pixar original. Last 2 movies Inside Out and Coco are among the best movies.

Edited by keysersoze123

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Here's something really sad I just realized: if we consider the major animation studios to be WDAS, Pixar, Illumination, DWA, SPA, and WAG then this movie will mark the first major animated release since Coco in November 2017 that isn't a sequel or based on an existing IP, with the sole exceptions of Abominable and Smallfoot, which ironically are very similar to each other.

I find that outright horrifying that for 2 and a half years we basically got no original ideas in the realm of major animation, when up until just recently that has always been where originals have thrived. It's not looking particularly promising after this movie either, since the next ones on the schedule by the big players are Trolls 2, Scooby, and Minions 2. Here's hoping the unannounced Pixar and WDAS films are originals. 

The are originals, the next movies are Soul (a movie rumored to be directed by Pete Docter ) for June 19 2020 and Dragon Empire (directed by Paul Briggs and Dean Wellins) for November 25 2020.

Source: https://forum.pixarpost.com/post/brand-new-pixar-movie-soul-for-june-2020-10149153

https://forum.pixarpost.com/post/upcoming-pixar-films-10111353?&trail=30

https://screenrant.com/disney-animated-dragon-empire-film/

• Like 1

WDAS have literally only done two sequels this decade. Hardly comparable to the sequel craze Pixar has been on. And merging the two is silly when they are two completely different studios with now two completely different leaderships and if you read about it difference in culture too. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I'm more concerned about WDAS. That is a studio that has built its entire legacy off of not making sequels for nearly a century. A couple is fine, but I'm worried they're gonna announce Moana/BH6/Zootopia sequels as their next projects. Especially with Gigantic getting cancelled. 

Sad about that. Hope they retake the project someday.