Hiccup23

CAYOM Magazine

Just now, Blankments said:

hold up, if we're allowing Jaws 5, can I finally write my Back to the Future 4 movie?

or if not that, my Roger Rabbit 2 movie lmao

Why would either of those be off-limits? They fit the eligibility criteria; it's been way longer than 5 years since either of those franchises have been a thing. As long has no one else has claimed them...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xillix said:

Why would either of those be off-limits? They fit the eligibility criteria; it's been way longer than 5 years since either of those franchises have been a thing. As long has no one else has claimed them...

Way back in 1.0, those were off-limits lol. Well, he let me have Roger Rabbit but I never got around to writing them

The two "major classic franchises" listed as off-limits examples in the first post are Inidana Jones and Jurassic Park. If people are super against a Jaws 5 then I submit to the collective will, but my rationale was that it's really not a "major classic FRANCHISE" so much as it's a major classic film with three sequels that saw ridiculously diminishing returns. The Lost World and The Temple of Doom were down "only" 42% and 31% from the originals. Jaws 2 was a ludicrous 74% drop from the first one and it was downhill from there.

Edited by Xillix
  • Like 2

I wouldn't veto against this or that property but I think one has to be prepared for people having their knives out for it when it comes to something like Jaws.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cookie said:

I wouldn't veto against this or that property but one has to be prepared for people having their knives out for it.

Well yeah if it sucks ass obviously people are gonna call it out :P

I'm actually trying on this one (again, it's not Airport 2018), but I don't have any plans for Jaws 6 or anything.

4 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

I just think resurrecting very very old franchises (as in 30+ years old) to make sequels to said franchises is not a wise proposition.

Not prohibited, but highly inadvisable.

Normally I'd agree, but the original Jaws is one of the highest-grossers of all time and I'm ignoring the rest of the franchise, so I think it's a pretty good idea business-wise, TBH. It's not "some old movie no one cares about anymore" (unlike all its own sequels, which are), it's a cultural touchstone. It's my ten-year-old cousin's favorite movie. With the stuff we have doing crazy numbers in this game...

Edited by Xillix

11 minutes ago, Xillix said:

Normally I'd agree, but the original Jaws is one of the highest-grossers of all time and I'm ignoring the rest of the franchise, so I think it's a pretty good idea business-wise,

Agree to disagree on that one.

11 minutes ago, Xillix said:

With the stuff we have doing crazy numbers in this game...

That's cuz we have some people going wildcard with some of those actuals and totals.

2 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Agree to disagree on that one.

That's cuz we have some people going wildcard with some of those actuals and totals.

I mean look I'm not out here tryinna harass people for being pessimistic about having low box office expectations for this stuff.

That'd be ridiculous :P

Also, just saying, but if we do get sequels to Jaws, Back to the Future, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Shrek, etc., it weakens the justification for the consent/agreement to have certain franchise projects by certain members be put in carbonite for the time being.

Just my two cents on that.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Xillix said:

@4815162342 Which franchises were those? IIRC we talked about Star Wars and Star Trek and James Bond but franchise-wise those are on a whole other level (and none would be available now anyway).

what I said about Star Wars:

On 7/2/2017 at 5:42 PM, 4815162342 said:

Star Wars is a special case, akin to the MCU, DCEU, etc. I suggest it be temporarily suspended from activity, but if some time from now the spinoffs are still focused around the original films/characters, then the Old Republic era be unlocked for people to play around with. There are certain elements of the franchise I would intend to utilize in the future. So with that in mind, I am going to release Star Wars with the exception of two aspects I intended to adapt:

Tales of the Jedi/KOTOR (which cover approximately 40-50 years of the Star Wars universe). Everything else about the franchise is fair game. But again, I recommend that the franchise as a whole be suspended for the initial years of the reboot.

That is still my position. I don't recall anyone really objecting to my partial release and suspending (but not outlawing). I was planning to keep my end dormant for several game years at the minimum, like 7-8 game years, (and I still do), but if people are gonna drag up ancient franchises to make sequels to to try and make a BO buck, it does reduce the rationale.

For Star Trek, my position has always been that the TNG era is fair game for someone to explore. But nothing related to the OS characters.

And Bond, I have less recollection but the theory of it being a community franchise changing hands every so often is not per unreasonable.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

For the record, the reason I decided to do Jaws 5 wasn't "to try and make a BO buck," - it was because I recently saw Tentacles, this really horrible Jaws ripoff (one of the first to hit screens) with John Huston and Shelly Winters and Peter Fonda. Considered remaking that but then figured it made more sense and would be more fun to just do Jaws 5 if I wanted to try and do something actually good.

For me, the rationale for Star Wars in particular is different - that, entirely unlike Jaws, is practically a guaranteed blockbuster revenue-maker. Feels almost like cheating, frankly. Solo may be a money-loser, but it took an extraordinary chain of misfortune (actor who doesn't look or sound like Harrison Ford, creative issues and midway-replacement of filmmakers, release six months after a prior controversial entry, late start to the marketing campaign, extremely heavy competition) just to get it down to "only" $380m WW and counting. Most franchises aren't nearly so big or consistent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

And Bond, I have less recollection but the theory of it being a community franchise changing hands every so often is not per unreasonable.

In 2.0 at least I think it was that each player would get three movies or a set number of years and then the next player would take over, but said player would not be allowed to continue the previous player's interpretation of Bond and has to recast him.

It can work but it would need a very specific rule set.

Edited by cookie