Hiccup23

CAYOM Magazine

On 2017-10-05 at 12:20 AM, Xillix said:

Yep. This is a stupid big blockbuster without any planned sequels or anything so I'm just kind of going all-out/ridiculous budget-wise. If it flops it flops :P 

If it's stupid fun like the first two Mummy movies I wouldn't have a problem with it.

5 minutes ago, Xillix said:

*Cough cough*

God damn it. Are there even any good directors left or should I just Uwe fucking Boll. Or is he taken as well?

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep looking...

6 minutes ago, ChD said:

God damn it. Are there even any good directors left or should I just Uwe fucking Boll. Or is he taken as well?

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep looking...

Actually...

Since no one has taken Fincher (?), you can take Mangold  if you want and I'll do Fincher

5 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Actually...

Since no one has taken Fincher (?), you can take Mangold  if you want and I'll do Fincher

Wait what, I looked for Fincher and he was taken.

Apparently I assumed he was taken and didn't actually check. I had just settled for Edwards, but I'll take Mangold if you go for Fincher.

Edited by ChD

11 minutes ago, ChD said:

Wait what, I looked for Fincher and he was taken.

Apparently I assumed he was taken and didn't actually check. I had just settled for Edwards, but I'll take Mangold if you go for Fincher.

Yeah I think I'm gonna go with Fincher

'BOUNTY HAMSTER' and 'THE WHO'S TOMMY' JOIN Y2 SLATE.

In the wake of major shakeups at the company, including conflicts on creative projects, two exciting new titles will join the Y2 to replace CASSIA AND THE VALKYRIES and MATILDA, both of which require more development time.

Bounty Hamster, directed by David Soren (Turbo, Captain Underpants) is based on the short lived cult british cartoon. After Cassie's (Sophlia Lillis) parents are seemingly kidnapped and lost for years in intergalactic society, she eventually has no choice but to work with a small, short tempered, and somewhat incompetent bounty hunter who happens to be a hamster. (Jason Statham) As they eventually realize they got into a crazy situation, they soon find themselves in a situation way bigger than anything they could have imagined. Richard Ayoade, Kate McKinnon, Jim Rash, Jason Sudekis, Leslie Mann, Aziz Ansari, and Jon Hamm round out the cast for this wild, wacky sci-fi tale, due for a release in December Y2.

The Who's Tommy, a wild sensory trip of the imagination from visionary director Tom Ford, brings the hit musical album to the screen for a new generation. After a traumatic accident leaves young Tommy (Ferdia Walsh-Peelo, Jamie Stammel (a made up 8-year old actor) in early years) deaf and blind. As his parents (Emily Blunt, Tom Hiddleston) desperately try to help him, he uncovers a shocking gift within himself that changes the world forever. Filmed in epic 70mm by Roger Deakins, The Who's Tommy promises to be a jaw dropping treat for the eyes, ears, and mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spaghetti! said:

'BOUNTY HAMSTER' and 'GUARDIANS OF THE INTERNET' JOIN Y2 SLATE.

In the wake of major shakeups at the company, including conflicts on creative projects, two exciting new titles will join the Y2 to replace CASSIA AND THE VALKYRIES and MATILDA, both of which require more development time.

Bounty Hamster, directed by David Soren (Turbo, Captain Underpants) is based on the short lived cult british cartoon. After Cassie's (Sophlia Lillis) parents are seemingly kidnapped and lost for years in intergalactic society, she eventually has no choice but to work with a small, short tempered, and somewhat incompetent bounty hunter who happens to be a hamster. (Jason Statham) As they eventually realize they got into a crazy situation, they soon find themselves in a situation way bigger than anything they could have imagined. Richard Ayoade, Kate McKinnon, Jim Rash, Jason Sudekis, Leslie Mann, Aziz Ansari, and Jon Hamm round out the cast for this wild, wacky sci-fi tale, due for a release in December Y2.

The Who's Tommy, a wild sensory trip of the imagination from visionary director Tom Ford, brings the hit musical album to the screen for a new generation. After a traumatic accident leaves young Tommy (Ferdia Walsh-Peelo, Jamie Stammel (a made up 8-year old actor) in early years) deaf and blind. As his parents (Emily Blunt, Tom Hiddleston) desperately try to help him, he uncovers a shocking gift within himself that changes the world forever. Filmed in epic 70mm by Roger Deakins, The Who's Tommy promises to be a jaw dropping treat for the eyes, ears, and mind.

Er, so what's Guardians of the Internet?

A First Look at Wes Anderson's A Trip to the Moon. Bryan Cranston, Jeff Goldblum, Jason Schwartzman, Owen Wilson, and other Wes Anderson alumni to star.

Directed by Wes Anderson, A Trip to the Moon is an upcoming Sci-Fi/Fantasy Comedy based on the classic French silent film of the same name made by Georges Melies. The film will take place in France at the end of the 19th century (a few years before the release of the short film). Bryan Cranston will portray the film's protagonist, Professor Barbenfouillis, who puts together a very peculiar group of astronomers (Jeff Goldblum, Tyler Labine, Kate McKinnon, Jason Schwartzman, Lakeith Stanfield, and Owen Wilson) in order to achieve his dream of traveling to the moon. By building a space capsule in the shape of a bullet, the astronomers launch themselves into space and eventually hit the moon (Bill Murray portrays the Man in the Moon). The rest of the film deals with the astronomers traveling on the moon and eventually fighting for their lives against a group of aliens known as the Selenites. The film is a colorful, comedic, and fantastical adventure that will capture the imagination of many like the original short film did for so many back in 1902. 

The film will be released limited on May 25th and wide on June 15th. Co-stars (other than the ones already listed) include Edward Norton, Tilda Swinton, Bob Balaban, Harvey Keitel, Billy Crudup, Emma Thompson, Lucas Hedges, Willem Dafoe, Toby Kebbell, Greta Gerwig, and Tim Curry.

81muMUB-R+L._SX342_.jpg

• Like 3

Academy Interview!

Welcome to Hiccup’s Critical Review and our exclusive interview with Harry Styles, Louis Tomlinson, and Dylan O’Brien for their upcoming film The Academy! Welcome boys!

Harry, Louis, and Dylan: “Thanks! Glad to be here.”

Interviewer: “Alright, so what is this film about?”

Harry: “I can take this boys! So the film takes place at a military academy where us three are kind of the “mean boys” on campus. Not everybody likes that including the First Sergeant played by the amazing Jodie Foster. She has a different vision for the campus and wants us gone. On top of all of that a killer appears on campus and begins killing students. So basically everybody is a suspect then. There is more haha but it is kind of a long plot to try to describe because of all the storylines. If I were to sum it up it would be: Heathers meets Scream.”

Interviewer: “Sounds interesting! Louis, this is your first film. What was the hardest part of jumping from singing to acting”

Louis: “Well I was a bit hesitant at first to be apart of this project when Jason Blum approached me about it. There is a big difference between singing and acting and I was nervous obviously. I read part of the script and what my character would be like and I immediately was interested. My character was so much fun and I am very glad Harry and Jason convinced me to do it. You know, the hardest part looking back was trying to do the American accent. That was so hard!”

Dylan: “Well Louis and I also had a hard time keeping a start face when Harry and Ariel were acting. Their characters both are so over the top and dramatic, it was virtually impossible to keep a straight face when watching them.”

*Laughter from all three*

Harry: “Oh god, yeah it was hard not to laugh.”

Interviewer: “So I gotta ask this: Harry and Louis, do you guys have an original song that will be released with the movie?”

Harry: “No, we don’t haha. But we do sing one of our songs in the movie so you can look forward to that!”

Interviewer: “So how was filming?”

Dylan: “It was a ton of fun. Michael really let us model the characters to our personalities and let us develop them. I remember what Michael first told me when I was handed the script. He said, “This script is an outline. I want you to read it and develop the character you think fits it best. Have fun and don’t be afraid to venture into crazy land with this.”

Louis: “Yeah, that was one cool aspect I enjoyed. I also liked how the film really embraces the ridiculousness of itself and just runs with it.”

Harry: “Well you two were lucky. I had a little less development with my character. As kind of the central character Michael had a specific vision for me. I multiple times walked up to Michael and was like “I don’t think I should say that on camera.” But he would say, “Go for it! That is who Alex is.”

Interviewer: “So is this more comedy or horror?

Harry: “Comedy!”

Louis: “Comedy.”

Dylan: “Definitely comedy!”

Harry: “Well….I don’t wanna mislead you. There is horror elements and some pretty gruesome deaths but I won’t call the film scary per say. It isn’t trying to keep you up at night. It is rather trying to keep you guessing….. like the game of Clue.”

Interviewer: “So this cast has a significant amount of singers on the list, you got not only you Harry and Louis but Shawn Mendes, Zendaya, and Lorde. I find it hard to believe this isn’t a musical. How big are their roles?

Dylan: “Well this definitely isn’t a musical and thank god because I can’t sing” *laughs*

Harry: “Zendaya is actually a main character. She has her own group that kind of is a rival to ours. It is her, Kimiko Glenn, and Tyler James Williams. I think she and Kimiko have a song they do actually sing in the film. Other than that and our song that is it for songs haha.”

Louis: “Yeah and as for Lorde and Shawn their roles are pretty small but I think will be memorable. There are a significant amount of other cameos in the film too. That is what I think will make the film fun.”

Interviewer: “So there are more? I was looking on IMDB and there is an uncasted role for a SGT West? Is that one of the cameos?

*Boys look at each other and laugh*

Dylan: “Yeah, we actually can’t reveal that one. That is a surprise.”

Louis: “There are more but their roles are small so it is best to be just surprised.”

Harry: “Well….we can give them one reveal boys? Taylor Swift is in the film.”

Interviewer: “Taylor Swift?!”

Harry: “Haha yep! I mean her role isn’t massive but it still something to look forward too.”

*Louis nudges Harry and they laugh*

Interviewer: “What’s that?!!”

Louis: “Ah nothing haha I don’t wanna venture into spoils haha.”

Interviewer: “So I got to ask the big question regarding the film. Is this film a critique on Trump’s movement and the left winged social justice? That is the rumors floating around about the film.”

Dylan: “Sort of and I can definitely see why people think so. The film isn’t pushing for one side over the other. It isn’t a pro-left wing or right wing film in it’s social message, it really pokes fun at both sides while maintaining a morality about it. I think the film does a good job at striking a balance between becoming a social commentary and make fun of the modern political climate. I’d say the film is a close comparison to the film The Heathers.”

Harry: “My character Alex definitely is like Trump in many ways but is also unique in his own way. He isn’t a character you are suppose to like ultimately.”

Interviewer: “Who is the meanest out of the trio?”

Louis: “Harry!”

Dylan: “Oh yeah Harry for sure!”

Harry: “Hahaha yeah I am kind of the meanie in the film”

Interviewer: “Interesting...well I guess we will have to see. So last question for you all. Since this is a “who did it” film, how does the film keep the audience guessing?”

Louis: “The fantastic script keeps you guessing. It doesn’t let you get ahead of our main characters and you grow with them. I know my character grows a ton throughout the film. In the beginning you might think he is the killer for a certain reason but then halfway through his “motive” to kill changes. The script is fantastic as I already stated so I gotta give credit to the behind the scenes talent. I love what they have done.”

Dylan: “On top of that, you don’t learn everything about each character immediately, they grow throughout the film. Some grow more than others but as the film progresses you begin to learn why each character would or could want to go on a killing spree. I don’t know if you saw the character posters but each one of us has  blood on our hands...kind of goes off the saying “You got blood on your hands”. Each character has a motive and something to hide.”

Interviewer: “Well thank you all for coming one and talking about the with us! We can’t wait to see the film!”

Harry, Louis, and Dylan: “Thank you!!”

Edited by Hiccup23
  • Like 1

Interview with Sebastian Peters - Part 1

Cookie Pictures President and CEO sits down with Cayom Magazine to discuss Year 1 and beyond

Interviewer: "So let's get straight to it - how do you feel about Year 1?"

Peters: "I feel pretty good about it. We've had uh... a lot of successes, some more than even I could have predicted... very few disappointments relatively. I never had that many worries about our release slate, I always had a lot of confidence in Mark Dindal and Joe Wright when it came to Scrooge McDuck and Hunchback respectively."

Interviewer: "So you never felt they could underperform?"

Peters: "I mean you could never be a hundred-percent sure on everything, but I think we positioned both of them well, we actually kinda got lucky that both came out where there were a sort of dry spell when it came to similar releases, and they were kind of those movies people wanted to see again and again. I had this kid come up to me who said he saw Scrooge McDuck like five times in theaters because he loved it just that much, and I think for a movie that has such a... uh, child-friendly energy that's the best kind of endorsement you could get. Not saying Scrooge McDuck can't be enjoyed by adults, I don't think we'd have it nominated for Best Picture if it didn't, but... you know..."

Interviewer: "Let's talk about that briefly... the Oscars. Scrooge McDuck was nominated for Best Picture but lost Best Animated Feature to Me and My Shadow at the same time."

Peters: "Yeah I uh... was just as surprised as everyone else. I think the expectation is that you have this animated film that gets a Best Picture nomination it's locked to win Best Animated Feature but... apparently this time wasn't the case. And it just happened to be my movie. But... those are the things that happen sometimes."

Interviewer: "Are you happy or disappointed over the Oscar results?"

Peters: "I think the deal was that all the awards we had campaigned for... Charles Dance for Best Supporting Actor in particular... we had strong hopes we would win those, and we didn't. It's honestly a bit weird that Hunchback had its three co-stars all nominated but while it lost those it somehow won Best Ensemble instead... like separately they apparently weren't good enough but together they were? As happy as we are to win that award it'll probably remain a bit of a mystery to us. Heh."

Interviewer: "One thing I heard over and over during Year 1 was that Voltron: Defenders of the Universe was being compared to @spaghetti! Productions' Spark: Rising. Would you agree or disagree on that comparison?"

Peters: "I saw Spark: Rising when it came out, partially because I want to be up to date with what the other studios are doing and by that point Voltron had already been out for a few weeks and we'd gotten a lot of feedback on it, so when I heard "wow, Voltron and Spark are really much alike!" I wanted to see if this was true for myself. In some ways I can see where people are coming from... uh... you have these teenagers, these young adults, whisked off into far-away worlds where they're burdened with this great duty to become more than the sum of their parts, and there's a lot of alien characters and space action and drama and all sorts of things but... you can kind of say that about a lot of young adult-skewing science fiction or fantasy. There's always this element of the chosen one or chosen ones and becoming something greater than what you already are I mean you see this with Star Wars, Harry Potter, a lot of other popular franchises out there right now... I think as a teenager or young adult you always have this sense that you're destined for greater things and a lot of films aiming for that audience, particularly blockbusters, try to mine that youthful idealizing. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I'm just saying that's how these things work. I think the devil is ultimately in the details, uh... Spark is a personal journey, I think. There's clearly one main character, the audience follows her around and it's told from her perspective mostly while Voltron is a team effort, there's several characters with differing personalities and goals and while as a two-and-a-half hour movie you probably get less development with five characters individually than you'd do with just one the viewer also has more of an opportunity to relate to a different character if one doesn't prove to be to their liking. Not to knock on Spark for I personally think Spaghetti Productions did a wonderful job with the character, I was happy to see Sasha Lane win the Oscar because I think she did terrific and we'd love to work with her on a future project of ours. It's just that Spark and Voltron had different goals and different obstacles to overcome, if you couldn't relate to Spark as a character the movie would fall apart and if you couldn't see the paladins of Voltron as a team that movie wouldn't work like it did either, in fact in Voltron it's made very clear that the fate of the universe rests on the paladins coming together as a unit, and I think emphasizing that part is why Voltron itself really only appears twice in the film. It's the sort of thing the movie has to earn and when it happens it's all the more satisfying."

Interviewer: "So should we or should we not expect more Voltron action in Rise of Lotor?"

Peters: "Rise of Lotor puts the paladins in a bit of a tight spot. It's one year later and they've lost their leader Shiro and they haven't been able to form Voltron since, but they've made progress on taking back the galaxy from the rule of Galra empire, just that maybe it's not happening fast enough, so a big aspect of Rise of Lotor is finding this new black paladin and coming together as one again albeit in a bit of a different getup. I won't spoil what that getup is, but we are going to take a bit of a different approach with Voltron itself this time around since the suspense is gone, everyone knows what Voltron looks like and thus there's less of a need in having to earn those big "Voltron moments" from an audience perspective. To answer your question, yes, we probably will see more of Voltron this time around."

Interviewer: "Tell us a bit more about the titular character Lotor."

Peters: "In Voltron lore Prince Lotor is the son of Emperor Zarkon, but there's always this thing that Lotor doesn't want to be his father and Zarkon does not really see him as his son, so there's this family conflict going on right at the center of a wide-spanning galactic empire. Lotor has a very different idea of how the Galra empire should come together than Zarkon and thus he sets out to capture Voltron not for his father's approval but in a way to prove his own point, and the methodology he uses is going to be a bit different than what Zarkon used in the first film. That's not to say Lotor isn't going to be ruthless, in fact in Rise of Lotor he'll be much more up and personal against the paladins than Zarkon ever was, and you're going to see him as very cunning and deadly if he doesn't get what we wants, in fact we have this arc laid out for the character that'll run parallel with the character arcs of the now four paladins, and from what I've seen of the dailies Tom Hiddleston is already doing a fantastic job portraying the character and I think both fans and general audiences are going to be very impressed with how we bring the character to life on screen."

Interviewer: "There's been speculation that Rise of Lotor is darker and more complex than Defenders of the Universe, do you confirm or deny that?"

Peters: "Every sequel to a big action blockbuster either wants to be or inadvertently is compared to Empire Strikes Back, and I'd be lying if I said Empire Strikes Back wasn't on our mind when we wrote down Rise of Lotor. The thing about Empire Strikes Back though is that while it is darker in some respects it's still much in the way of "fun" i.e there's a lot of humor, a lot of banter and a lot of wonder. Personally my favorite scenes in Empire are the swamp scenes with Luke and Yoda, just hearing Yoda describe the force in this spiritual sense it really makes the world feel alive to me, like all these possibilities are suddenly opening up and you get this wonder and awe which is incredible given that most of it is just Yoda describing it without giving us much visual reference. It's one of the few times where a movie succeeds in telling without all that much showing. I wanted to point this out because people seem to think that making things more darker and serious makes it better, but the great thing about Empire is that it works whether you're a kid or an adult, and we want the Voltron franchise to work on the same fundamental level. So Rise of Lotor is going to be darker, but it's going to be more fun at the same time, and we wouldn't have brought someone as energetic as Shane Black on board if we didn't want a balance between playfulness and that dark sense of humor you see in a lot of his films. Especially now that we've spent most of Defenders of the Universe laying down the ground rules I think we can go off and just have a blast with the sequel."

Interviewer: "Your studio scheduling it for a holiday release does show you have high hopes."

Peters: "Oh definitely, we even have a third Voltron film scheduled for the following year. Star Wars: The Force Awakens proved that December is definitely viable for large-scale tentpole blockbusters and with Rise of Lotor we kind of want to establish the expectation among fans and general audience that the holidays is a time for Voltron. Defenders of the Universe was a huge hit in the summer, no doubt about it, but we feel the holidays this time around will let us try things out in a different box office landscape, especially since Hunchback of Notre Dame did so well in the same release slot last year."

Interviewer: "In the next edition we'll be talking more about your other releases, but as a last question regarding Voltron can you elaborate a bit on why you chose Shane Black over further collaboration with previous director Jon Favreau?"

Peters: "Favreau in my opinion did a wonderful job with Defenders of the Universe. His eye for visuals, action, comedy and adventure we saw was a perfect fit for the property, but we kind of want to keep things fresh with every movie, thus we've already announced that Don't Breathe director Fede Álvarez is going to helm the third film. It's not like we've dropped Favreau to the sidewalk either, we're already collaborating with him on TailSpin set to be released in the summer and he remains on board as a producer on Voltron. We're hoping to have Favreau around for years to come, but we're letting him go off and do other projects so things don't become stale, and I think with Rise of Lotor you're going to see why it was a wise decision."

Interviewer: "Looking forward to it. Thank you for your time today, Mr. Peters, and we'll hope to talk to you more about your upcoming releases soon."

Peters: "You're welcome."

Edited by cookie
  • Like 3

Funny you mention the idea of young people yearning to be part of something greater in the Spark/Voltron discussion. 

Spoiler

A major plot device in the second film will consist of several "homemade superheroes" using inventions, their own strengths, or more. They look to Alexandra as their inspiration, and she in turn feels pressured to motivate them, even though the new threat they face is deadly and vicious. In turn, we explore how this youthful idealization can be empowering and inspiring, but potentially dangerous if unchecked and unexamined.

• Like 2