Hiccup23

CAYOM Magazine

@cayommagazine

Mark Hamill (Batman: The Animated Series, the Star Wars franchise), Danny Pudi (Community, The Number One Dime), Kelly Marie Tran (Green Lantern Corps: Home, Raya and The Last Dragon), Anthony Rannelis (The Book of Mormon, The Prom) and Seychelle Gabriel (The Legend of Korra, Samurai Pizza Cats 2) have all signed on for voice roles in Endless Animation’s Gateways 2.0.

• Like 2

So, new member here. I'm thinking of pitching a movie for this year's CAYOM. It's an adult-oriented animated sci-fi movie based on a short story I wrote for a project when I was in high school. So I have a few questions. 

One, how realistic is it for such a movie-- that is, an animated movie aimed at adults that isn't a comedy-- to be successful? 

Two, I'm not sure who to name as the director. Very few animation directors (in the US, anyway) do feature films aimed at adults, and of those who do, none really seem like a good fit for the kind of story I had in mind. So is it OK if I name a fictional director? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, El Squibbonator said:

So, new member here. I'm thinking of pitching a movie for this year's CAYOM. It's an adult-oriented animated sci-fi movie based on a short story I wrote for a project when I was in high school. So I have a few questions. 

One, how realistic is it for such a movie-- that is, an animated movie aimed at adults that isn't a comedy-- to be successful? 

Two, I'm not sure who to name as the director. Very few animation directors (in the US, anyway) do feature films aimed at adults, and of those who do, none really seem like a good fit for the kind of story I had in mind. So is it OK if I name a fictional director? 

Hi El Squibbonator! Welcome to Cayom! We're glad you're thinking of joining in!

I can answer those questions! For how successful it can be, that depends on factors such as the release date and the film's quality--but the box office in Cayom is much more lenient and open than it is in real life! An animated film about the Russian dog Laika won Best Picture and grossed a total of $54M domestic / $100M worldwide in the last game year (Year 7). We can't outright promise the film will be successful, but in Cayom, audiences love animated films of all kinds, and the precedent has certainly been set for adult-oriented animations to succeed.

For the director, yes, it is okay to use a fictional director! I'll go ahead and recommend Shane Acker as a huge fan of the movie 9 (couldn't help myself), but we encourage you to use a fictional director if the project is a truly unique vision that other directors aren't quite matching!

Cayom's current deadline for Year 8 submissions is March 1st, but there is a possibility that the deadline will be extended to a further date. Nevertheless, stay tuned for that decision, and in the meantime, we wish you good luck with your films! Thank you for participating! :D

@CayomMagazine

Last night, Phoenix Fire Entertainment announced that Phoenix Fire Family Animation's Sackboy would feature Ian Alexander and Brigitte Lundy-Paine as central voice performers in the film. That is actually not the case anymore, but both will still feature in the voice cast, which will mainly consist of LGBTQ+ actors. The lead roles will actually go to Nico Tortorella and Miley Cyrus. Amandla Stenberg will still be one of the lead stars.

• Like 1

@cayommagazine

Once again, a deceased animation is resurrected. Endless Animation has fast-tracked Nimona for Y9. Vicky Jenson (Shrek, Shark Tale) will help direct the project with Patrick Osborne (Feast) as Amanda Rydna (DC Super Hero Girls, The Un-Title-Able Squirrel Girl Sequel) and Erica Rivinoja (Clone High, Trolls, the upcoming The Valkyries vs The Galaxy) help Marc Haimes with the script. Further details will be revealed within the next week.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

37 minutes ago, El Squibbonator said:

Are we allowed to submit more than one movie per year? 

Yes, definitely! I have about eight or nine films up there myself (😅). The game kind of needs films to pad out all of the release dates, so you can write as many films as you want!

12 minutes ago, El Squibbonator said:

The problem is, the calendar is getting kind of crowded, and it's only going to get more so if I spend too long working on my next entry. 

It's fine if films release on the same day! That actually helps the game a lot if that happens. You just gott be careful about when you release it compared to the films around it, but it's totally doable. Some of the films that aren't in green on the calendar might not be finished in time anyways.

Horizon Entertainment is finally moving forward on an adaptation of the strain, the first book in a trilogy by GDT and Chuck Hogan. The plot entails two CDC doctors who uncover the fact that vampirism is real after a flight arrives with all but 4 passengers dead.

Unlike the tv series that aired on FX, the vampires in this series will be more traditional.

GDT will not direct but will produce. Dennis Villeneuve will direct and write the screenplay.

Ryan Gosling and Ana De Armas will play the two CDC doctors. Bradley Cooper is to play one of the four "survivors" Jared Harris is to play another lead although the role is set to be changed somewhat from the book. Christian Bale is set for a role Christopher Plummer was in talks for before his death

Horizon Entertainment is looking to get production ready for a y9 release

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

@CayomMagazine

An adaptation of the video game franchise Shantae by New Journey Pictures Animation is being fast-tracked for a Y9 release. Casting information will be announced soon. The film will replace the Professor Layton film, as that film needs more time in the development stage and will be pushed to a Y10 release.

"We were thinking about setting an animated film in Arabia," said a spokesperson, "and we told ourselves, why not adapt Shantae?"

New Journey Pictures is also reconsidering whether they should adapt the Professor Layton games directly or tell a brand new story, which is primarily why the studio feels they would benefit from the delay.

Developing...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Big things really do come in small packages, it seems. Fossil Record Productions, the indie animation studio behind this year's The Insect God, has revealed its next project, the Pacific Northwest-themed fantasy Raven Island. Pre-production on Raven Island has been under way for some time already, but the famously secretive Raleigh, North Carolina-based studio has waited until now to make it public.

"At Fossil Record, we work with lower budgets than the big studios," says studio head Mark Pierce. "That gives us more freedom to explore new genres, since we don't have to make as much money to be profitable. But at the same time, we don't want to have a reputation for only making a certain kind of movie. Raven Island is our first 'kid' movie-- it's aimed at a younger audience than The Insect God, and we're shooting for a PG rating-- but it's still more serious than most animated movies out there." 

Raven Island will be released in Y9. 

• Like 3

@CayomMagazine

More Y10 news from the animated divisions of Phoenix Fire Entertainment.

Phoenix Fire Artstyles' Until There Was Nothing, the PG-13 experimental animation sci-fi movie based on a Paul Trillo-directed short of the same name, will be released in the first weekend of August. Amy Acker (known in CAYOM for her role in the Pokémon franchise) will be the lead voice star of the film, which will tell the story of a Philosophy teacher, voiced by Acker, who decides to join a NASA expedition to a black hole that is moving towards the Solar system. Every crew member in the expedition is, by choice, a sacrificial lamb provided by humanity to study the black hole from the inside and try to provide ways to destroy it from the inside. However, Acker's character discovers the real purpose of the mission. Paul Trillo, who directed the original short, will make his full-length feature directorial debut with this adaptation.

From Phoenix Fire Family Animation, as we previously discussed, Steve Moore, creator of the likes of Metalheads, In the Bleachers and Open Season, recently departed the position of director of Sackboy. However, he was still in negotiations with the studio for a different style of animated film. We can now confirm that Moore is indeed directing an original movie for PFFA. It is titled Sprint, and it's right in Moore's wheelhouse, since it's a sports movie. John David Washington and Lupita Nyong'o voice Haraka and Saumu, two cheetahs who live in Olympiakós, an alternate version of Earth where there are no humans, but rather antropomorphic animals who love sports. Their lives are turned upside down when a human boy named Fred (voiced by Ethan Pugiotto) is brought to the reality out of nowhere. The child learns that he has to win an Olympic gold medal in order to return to his reality, and Haraka and Saumu, who hold no grudges towards humans, bring him in to make him a professional sprinter. The boy, however, seems a bit more hesitant to be taught by animals, and other animals in Olympiakós, upon finding out of his arrival, also don't hesitate in harassing him or the cheetah family. Fred learns to question the convictions he was taught as a child in this anti-prejudice, pro-acceptance tale of warmth and friendship. Sprint will be PFFA's first original feature and it will run into theaters in February Y10.

In the same year, the much discussed Sackboy, also from PFFA, will be released in June. Helmed by Danger & Eggs creators Mike Owens and Shadi Petosky, the LittleBigPlanet adaptation will be strategically released on Pride Month as a celebration of its LGBTQ+ themes. Sackboy revolves around a young man of the world of LittleBigPlanet, inhabited by wooly creatures known as the Sackpeople. "Sackboy", our protagonist as he chooses to name himself (voiced by Nico Tortorella), works in a theme park as an attraction inventor (or "level creator", if you will). He is going through an identity crisis, though, because he's coming to gripes with something that he's repressed all his life: he feels just as female as he does a male (which is not helped by the fact that he's attracted both to female and male Sackpeople). Henceforth, he decides to go through a drastic change and become a Sackgirl (voiced by Miley Cyrus). But Sackgirl then second guesses her choice. And on, and on, and on.... Sackboy will feature a voice cast mostly composed of LGBTQ+ actors.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 5

Numerator Pictures announces for year 10 a new entry into the realm of family horror: A Matter of Blood and Earth

The film will star Carrie Coon as a single mother estranged from her wealthy family who is unwillingly pulled back into her blood ties after a vague curse that has afflicted her family for generations rises from dormancy to strike one of her children. Her return to her family's New England estate looking for a cure not only stirs up family drama and resentment, but also something far more supernatural, primeval, and deadly.

Production of the film is long in the future, but Rebecca Ferguson has been signed on to play another primary role, vaguely described as friend and foe in equal measure.

A Matter of Blood and Earth will be directed by Park Chan-Wook, whose previous English-language film was 2013's family thriller Stoker.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 6

@CayomMagazine

Chloe Zhao has departed from the director chair for Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans, as the director and New Journey have come to a mutual conclusion that Zhao isn't the best fit for the material. This was a frustrating decision that New Journey had to mull over for a while, but they found it better to let Zhao go from the project than have her attached to a project that dishonors her sensibilities as an auteur.

Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans will now be directed by Star Trek: Beyond director Justin Lin.

That being said, Zhao is now attached to direct New Journey Pictures Classics's adaptation of the Celeste Ng novel Everything I Never Told You, which is set to star Anne Hathaway and John Cho among others. Both Dragon Ball and Everything are Y9 films.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SLAM! said:

@CayomMagazine

Chloe Zhao has departed from the director chair for Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans, as the director and New Journey have come to a mutual conclusion that Zhao isn't the best fit for the material. This was a frustrating decision that New Journey had to mull over for a while, but they found it better to let Zhao go from the project than have her attached to a project that dishonors her sensibilities as an auteur.

Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans will now be directed by Star Trek: Beyond director Justin Lin.

That being said, Zhao is now attached to direct New Journey Pictures Classics's adaptation of the Celeste Ng novel Everything I Never Told You, which is set to star Anne Hathaway and John Cho among others. Both Dragon Ball and Everything are Y9 films.

(In darth vader's voice): NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 2
  • Knock It Off 1