CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

3 minutes ago, Harley said:

With a budget that high no one is going to take a financial hit? I'm not buying it. Someone is downplaying this.

Why not though?  It's not unheard of for a studio to make back a lot of its money from foreign distribution presales, tax subsidies, etc.  Lionsgate famously sells their properties to foreign distributors ahead of time to help with any potential loss their film might have.  Reported net budget is $150M too, which is a lot better than $209M.

29 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Because all of those distributors will totally cover a 200M+ budget again next time lmao.

Local distributors have been taken a beating from things like Gods of Egypt, Power Rangers and likely Valerian but I suppose you have to take a risk when you prebuy a title. 

26 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

It's coming from the same people who believe that Power Rangers did well because Lionsgate didn't lose money.

Lionsgate didn't lose much from Power Rangers but their OS distributors and their UK arm took a hit since it did poorly overseas. 

Not sure that one guy  is going make it through the weekend here.  Not that he is doing anything wrong yet, but with some egging and the fact he feels the need to defend the movie every time it is posted about, makes me believe that something will go down at some point :P 

Edited by 75live
  • Like 2

Since it is clear that this thread will not be able to proceed in a normal non-baity manner as people seem to be overly emotionally involved with movies, the mods discussed it and as per direction from @Emperor Tele-Limai, @marveldcfoxAnd @That EddieKaspbrak Guy are banned from this thread for poisoning the well for the next 24 hours.

Please take the fight to the franchise wars thread. Reconsider whether it is worth getting this testy and heated over a movie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, That EddieKaspbrak Guy said:

Why not though?  It's not unheard of for a studio to make back a lot of its money from foreign distribution presales, tax subsidies, etc.  Lionsgate famously sells their properties to foreign distributors ahead of time to help with any potential loss their film might have.  Reported net budget is $150M too, which is a lot better than $209M.

Just now, That EddieKaspbrak Guy said:

...Valerian has a $150M net budget though.  And none of them (to my knowledge) covered 96% of the budget from presales and shit.

Lionsgate sells to foreign distributors because they don't have the resources to distribute overseas, the only place they do is the UK. It's the same with STX, TWC, DreamWorks etc who don't handle distributing on their films overseas. 

Selling the foreign rights means you recoup the budget but you don't get a penny back if it's a hit OS, look at The Golden Compass, a complete flop in the US but did $300m OS but New Line saw none of the OS money which lead to them being folded into WB.

• Like 2

Just now, That EddieKaspbrak Guy said:

...Valerian has a $150M net budget though.  And none of them (to my knowledge) covered 96% of the budget from presales and shit.

Dude.....just a few days ago it was 180M net. All of a sudden, it is 150? Does that make any sense to you? Are you telling me they got 40M in tax credits from French govt and some producers/distributors from other countries to invest in it, thus bringing their budget down to 150? Yeah...i don't buy it. This is MINIMUM 180M Net. 

• Like 1

When can we exect a super early (and inaccurate) estimate for Fr numbers from Deadline? Or an accurate update from the gods?

Btw, how a movie performs in Germany isnt that important anymore and it cant be used for assumptions about a films complete overseas run.

Tom Hardy's eye brows were the most spectacular aspect of the film.

The way they reacted perfectly to what was happenning in a given scene was amazing.

Nolan is truly the spectacle director of our time, he knows what will look spectacular on 70mm.

Thats a God given talent.

Edited by The Futurist

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Apes performance is shocking. I expected a drop from Dawn but not this much

It's not as good as dawn, so im not surprised. It's probably the worst film in the trilogy. (IMO)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Dude.....just a few days ago it was 180M net. All of a sudden, it is 150? Does that make any sense to you? Are you telling me they got 40M in tax credits from French govt and some producers/distributors from other countries to invest in it, thus bringing their budget down to 150? Yeah...i don't buy it. This is MINIMUM 180M Net. 

Breaking the rules of threadbanning, nice.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

can't believe i'm in a christoper nolan ow thread and his movie isn't the reason people are getting banned.

Atleast valerian is released this w/e. Transformers was not even released the w/e you all were banned for spoiling it.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Are you telling me they got 40M in tax credits from French govt

That not far from what they got at minimum (30 million Euro, around 35m US) that was were the 180-185m net did come from, because of that 35 million tax credit.

A bit like original/non original material, this box office message board need a better way to talk about a movie making money / loosing money versus a particular player like the producing studio loosing / making money. Eurocorp cannot loose real money on this if those level of territory pre-sales talked about are true, but that does not mean the movie will not loose money as a hole.

People are having 2 different conversation above each other.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jayhawk said:

Serious question: Is Nolan the biggest single-name draw in Hollywood right now? (both actors and directors)

Always hard to distinguish the actual work from the draw factor (say John Williams box office track record is out of this world, but that does not mean that is name is a big draw) for producer/director and other people not on screen but he is certainly up there.

He is the most well paid I think with still getting those giant 20m + 20% of the first dollar gross type of deal, over 100m paycheck for a movie, outside Cameron (specially in China) and maybe Dicaprio (maybe Dunkirk will not do the Revenant business despite much better reviews, pre-built audience for the massive historical event and an much easier watch).

• Like 1