CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

Amazing number for Dunkirk and GT. 

Yikes at that Valerian number. It wont even make 50 million it seems

Wow at that Apes drop. Thats harsh. 

That number for DM3 cannot be right. Its not gonna fall just 12% this weekend. Expected drop, if not a bit higher for SMH. I suspect it will increase. 

2 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Huge drop for holdovers, im guessing movies on vod after two weeks will become the reality soon

Bullsh*t. For every War for the Planet of the Apes theres a Wonder Woman/Baby Driver/Get Out.

• Like 2

• Community Manager

Friday: $30 million

Saturday: $100 million

Sunday: $70 million

Total: $200 million

The far fetched dream is alive!

it's a dream so you know I'll have to wake up to reality eventually

• Astonished 1

Christopher Nolan's 

Dunkirk is easily winning the Friday box-office battle for a projected $45 million-$50 million debut, marking the best opening for a World War II movie in recent times.

Dunkirk is expected to earn $17 million or more on Friday, including $5.5 million in Thursday night previews. The critically acclaimed film, from Warner Bros., is playing in 3,720 locations and is getting a wide berth in Imax theaters and on 70mm screens.

Nolan's last film, Interstellar, debuted to nearly $50 million over the long Thanksgiving holiday in 2014, including $47.5 million for the three-day weekend. The Dark Knight Rises (2012) was his biggest opening ($160.9 million), followed by 2008's The Dark Knight ($158.4 million), 2005's Batman Begins($73 million, including a three-day weekend of $48.7 million) and 2010's Inception ($62.8 million).

Dunkirk, recounting one of World War II's most famous battles, stars Fionn Whitehead, Mark Rylance, Kenneth Branagh, Cillian Murphy, Tom Hardy, Jack Lowden, One Direction's Harry Styles and Aneurin Barnard. At 106 minutes, it is the shortest film of Nolan's career, outside of his first movie. The production budget was $150 million or more, although Warners insiders insist it was notably lower.

Overseas, Dunkirk has earned $8.6 million in its first two days after beginning to roll out in select markets on Wednesday. Elsewhere, Universal's Girls Trip is laughing loudly in North America. The femme-centric pic looks to earn $11 million or more from 2,591 theaters on Friday, including $1.7 million in previews, for an opening in the $26 million range — the best showing of the year so far for an R-rated comedy, a genre that's been decidedly challenged.

Directed by Malcolm D. Lee, who also produced alongside Will Packer, Girls Trip stars Regina Hall, Tiffany Haddish, Jada Pinkett Smith and Queen Latifah as lifelong friends who go to New Orleans for a wild weekend of fun.

The news isn't good for the weekend's third new release, Luc Besson's Valerian and the City of Thousand Planets. The sci-fi epic, costing at least $180 million to produce, is projected to gross $7 million on Friday from 3,553 theaters and $17 million for the weekend.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/weekend-box-office-dunkirk-heads-45m-50m-us-debut-valerian-bombing-1023378

no Apes or Spidey numbers given 

5 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Unfortunately War wasn't good for Apes. So $135M-$145M is where it's ending right?

Seeing its hold so far and if that 18.5 number holds then I think it misses even 140. If we assume spidey finishes at 300 that would be 2.56 legs. With the same legs  Apes gets to 142. But seeing thats its holds have been worse than spidey then I think it will have worse legs than SMH which would mean missing 140

• Like 1

Soooooooo Valerian. The first 30-40 minutes are a lot of fun, but there's only one other section of the film where I was actively engaged. Rihanna and Ethan Hawke are the MVPs for sure (Latter is deffo my new icon in the near future). Cara is good in this, but good FUCK is Dane bad. Like Jesus. This guy is so wooden. The visuals are pretty dank though.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

So I was planning to go see Valerian tonight, but I checked the showtimes, and they only have standard showings in the morning. And not just for today, but for the entire weekend.

Only showings tonight, are two in 3D.

And fuck 3D.

Its really like my theater doesn't want people to come see it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, UNDERDOG said:

So I was planning to go see Valerian tonight, but I checked the showtimes, and they only have standard showings in the morning. And not just for today, but for the entire weekend.

And fuck 3D.

See it in 3D as Luc Besson intended. It's gorgeous. 

• Sad 1

RE numbers:

Strong for Dunkirk, though it definitely was a bit frontloaded.

Thank Christ Girls Trip jumped big. 30M is still on the table.

Weak for Valerian. Is it even doing 15M?

That DM3 number has to be a typo. No fucking way the drop is 1M from last weekend.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, UNDERDOG said:

And fuck 3D.

I don't think any theater has more than 10 showings for it a day.

Good numbers for Dunkirk, should hit 50 I think. Great start for Girls Trip considering the low budget as well. 

Are those numbers any good for Valerian? :qotd: 

Apes will be well short of 100M by the end of the weekend, should hopefully get to 135-140M before finishing.

WOM is definitely going to be mixed on Valerian. My audience of 60 or 70 people was pretty silent save for some moments of humor. On the way out, a couple in their 50s or 60s said "That was so bad." 

Another fun story: the 3D wasn't working and I only got a minute into the film before the theater had to restart it. Because of this, I didn't see A Wrinkle in Time, Black Panther, and Thor's trailers in 3D :( A shame too because the first one had A LOT of blurriness. This was the same auditorium I had the Split fuckup in too!

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1