CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

41 minutes ago, Emperor Tele-Limai said:

I double-stack the glasses all the time. Passive 3D glasses are usually better tho. 

Isn't that uncomfortable? I stopped watching 3D not because I thought it sucks but because I always have a hard time using the glasses in front of my regular glasses.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Isn't that uncomfortable? I stopped watching 3D not because I thought it sucks but because I always have a hard time using the glasses in front of my regular glasses.

I'm fine with it.  Not the most comfortable thing, but it's ok.  That's not why I don't do 3d though.  But I can see how it's bad for people with the doublestacking

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I stopped b/c it was annoying with my glasses...and why pay more to be annoyed?  Maybe I miss a little movie depth, but my wallet does appreciate having the extra funds for more movies (plus, let's not get started on trying to get little kids to wear them...that's a lost cause...no idea what the movie looked like to them for the few movies we watched 3d in the past)...

• Like 1

Just now, grey ghost said:

So a smaller studio did Valerian.

So I guess they'll be filing for bankruptcy by September. :kitschjob:

Valerian is already profitable from distributor sales. Luc Besson isn't losing anything but his dignity. 

• Sad 1

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Valerian is already profitable from distributor sales. Luc Besson isn't losing anything but his dignity. 

Europacorp is screwed in the long game, tho.

Luc Besson was already writing Valerian 3 :rofl:

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

Just now, CJohn said:

Europacorp is screwed in the long game, tho.

Luc Besson was already writing Valerian 3 :rofl:

STX isn't going to be interested in a sequel nor will any of the distributors EuropaCorp sold Valerian to.

13 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Don't whine when you'll have 16 superhero movies a year now, you are responsible of your own misfortunes.

<_<

You don't deserve Valérian and Lauréline.

Your loss.

See you at the premiere of Avengers 7, Deapool 5, The T.Rex and the Furious 3, X Men 24 and Christopher Nolan's Tea Time on A Zeppelin, folks.

-_-

But movies with popular directors and high tomato ratings superseded superhero law.

That leaves an opening for non-franchise films.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

He s probably super proud of the film, it was his childhood's dream and he paid himself a director/producer/writer's fee for the project, a mere 15 or 20m Euros.

His dignity is probably super fine right now but he s probably very sad & disappointed th movie is doing so badly in the US, yes.

Well at least, he fought the fight.

No Ragrets.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

He s probably super proud of the film, it was his childhood's dream and he paid himself a director/producer/writer's fee for the project, a mere 15 or 20m Euros.

His dignity is probably super fine right now but he s probably very sad yes.

At least he can watch Christopher Nolan's latest film, Dunkirk, to cheer himself up.

• Like 6

I think, judging by the trailer, Besson made a poor decission with his casting. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. I guess he thought he had the next big stars in his movie, but the audience sometimes doesn't get, who "they" think is the next big thing. 

26 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

It's never really an actor's fault and yet people blame actors. Dane DaHaan has had a bad spell. I think it's like Vulture said, he's not a blockbuster type of actor.

My initial thought was "I don't remember that line in SMH". :qotd:

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Besson is a niche director.

I doubt he cares it flopped if he made back his investment.

27 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Don't whine when you'll have 16 superhero movies a year now, you are responsible of your own misfortunes.

<_<

You don't deserve Valérian and Lauréline.

Your loss.

See you at the premiere of Avengers 7, Deapool 5, The T.Rex and the Furious 3, X Men 24 and Christopher Nolan's Tea Time on A Zeppelin, folks.

-_-

tbh Valerian sounds as fresh as any of those sequels.

Edited by Goffe
  • Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

I think, judging by the trailer, Besson made a poor decission with his casting. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. I guess he thought he had the next big stars in his movie, but the audience sometimes doesn't get, who "they" think is the next big thing. 

Sigh. Yeah. He did. DeHaan is ideal for certain parts but certainly not Valerian. Honestly, Cara's fine. Simple role, looks the part and plays it well enough. Someone like Dan Stevens and any number of others would've been more palatable in the role Valerian.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Besson is a niche director.

I doubt he cares it flopped if he made back his investment.

Of course he cares, when you make a movie like this, you make it as much for yourself as for the audience so if few people show up, it s a big disapointment for everyone involved.

Edited by The Futurist