CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

Just now, grey ghost said:

Get Out is still in the top 10.

Incredible.

So what would be the top 3 break outs of 2017 so far?

01. Get Out
02. Wonder Woman
03. Split/Baby Driver

imo.

• Like 2

Wow! That's amazing for Dunkirk. This should settle the debate whether Nolan is a draw or not; he definitely is. Really good for Girls Trip, but not that surprising since the market is starving for comedies and it's targeting an underserved audience. Yikes at Valerian and most holdovers.

Really digging the new forum design btw. Good Job @Water Bottle, @Emperor Tele-Limai and all the other admins/mods. :bravo:

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Emperor Tele-Limai said:

A few months ago, I think we all expected a 2.5-hour journey through Exposition Beach. 

Considering how people seem to be having trouble following along with the timelines, I can see why Nolan went heavy with exposition in the past. People are stupid.

10 minutes ago, Emperor Tele-Limai said:

A few months ago, I think we all expected a 2.5-hour journey through Exposition Beach. 

Haha. Have you seen it yet?

I'm seeing it tonight for second time overall, but first time in 1.43 Laser IMAX on the biggest screen in Texas. Last night was 1.9 LieMAX on a screen about 20 feet shorter. 

7 minutes ago, scabab said:

What happened with Planet of the Apes? People really liked the first two and this one is getting the best reviews of the lot and people really liked that too.

Why is it failing like this?

Who says that a lot of people really liked it?

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Who says that a lot of people really liked it?

I kinda figured last Sunday after seeing it that it would have a tough time with the GA. Reeves really does a great job with those "quiet character moments" but the second act seemed pretty slow. That's a problem for general audiences. 

If I recall, RTH was a higher than estimated on Interstellar for OD before things ended up worse, hopefully no repeat.

With 22 million, I would think 55-56m is the target.

Edited by MrPink
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MrPink said:

If I recall, RTH was a higher than estimated on Interstellar for OD before things ended up worse, hopefully no repeat.

With 22 million, I would think 55-56m is the target.

19 hours ago, aabattery said:

Based on the AUS/NZ numbers, I'm feeling 50M+ OW for Dunkirk. I think they might be over-performing in both of those countries since they are closer (culturally) to the UK, but they're still a good sign for the USA OW.

15 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Don't forget it doesn't have other films opening against it here. I'm thinking USD45-50m. 

Australia has been defeated. You may now crown ME as the true box office prediction king.

• Like 3

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

That's insane for Dunkirk. I feel like Nolan is officially the biggest director box office draw there's ever been outside of Spielberg

I don't even think Spielberg would get this kind of project greenlit. Cannot believe WB greenlit a Memento-esque structure with no DiCaprio type of star and almost no exposition on $150m budget. And then agreed to market the thing like a franchise tentpole. It doesn't seem the studio meddled one bit on this project, which is crazy given the risk. 

• Like 3

Just now, aabattery said:

Australia has been defeated. You may now crown ME as the true box office prediction king.

Your signature makes you the king of everything BOT related anyway.

• Thanks 1

65% drop coming for Apes it looks like with that Friday. Really horrible, has to be one of the worst performances for a movie that should in theory have had so much going for it in a long time. Maybe some amazing late legs will happen, but even still it's just not good. 

Edited by MovieMan89