CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

SMH has a 90% audience rating on RT and a 8.0 rating on imdb. Nothing to indicate it's disliked by the GP. It's the 6 spider-man movie and 3rd reboot in 15 years. GP just isn't here for SM as much as they used to and it's not an event film. Nothing urging people to see it, especially since they put him back in high school it seems like same old same old. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 1

Just got out of 1.43 Laser IMAX show. Everyone has to walk down a bunch of stairs together to exit the theater building and the buzz was enormously positive. Didn't expect that. Seems Nolan may have created another water cooler situation like Inception. I even heard one guy bring up Memento. It would be pretty cool if this movie gets people digging into the likes of Following, Memento, and Prestige. 

Having seen the 1.9 LieMAX version yesterday and now the 1.43 Laser IMAX version. Dear God, never has the phrase "LieMAX" ever been more true than with Dunkirk. The two experiences are not even close to the same thing. Not just the screen size difference, but a huge difference in sound as well. 70mm IMAX and Laser IMAX are just stunning. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, vc2002 said:

Dunkirk opens bigger than Interstellar.

:ohmyzod::sarah::ohmygod::bourne:

Interstellar didn't enjoy the kind of social media buzz Dunkirk had thanks to Harry Styles' presence in the cast. It's not surprising that Dunkirk is opening better. Legs are a different matter.

Bad Moms did 2m previews and 9.5m od.

Girls Trip did 1.7m previews and 13m od...Yuge.

Same Sat and Sun hold as Bad Moms gives 32.5 ow. Imo 35 could happen.

Also we have the first 100+ dom comedy of the summer.

• Like 1

If you ever wondered how Dunkirk can look like with a sense of artistry, mood and visual flair, by the DP of Avengers, the arch nemesis of the guy who used to make Nolan s movies look fantastic, No less, here are some samples :

maxresdefault.jpg

atonement4.jpeg

atonement-dunkirk-beach.jpg

The epic version (yes ! Dunkirk can be epic too, who knew ?) :

vlcsnap-2013-04-09-02h24m49s51.jpg

And I didn't even mention the single take thing ... which serves a narrative purpose, unlike the latest Inarittu/Chivo ones, that were there to show how big their d.... were.

Edited by The Futurist

1 minute ago, DeeCee said:

I'm going to email Sydney IMAX this week and suggest that when it reopens in 2019 they open with a screening of Dunkirk. 

They have to do it. Seriously...greatest theater experience in the world. Hoyte's photography in the full 1.43 ratio is incredible. Even the 5 perf, 70mm stuff looked great in Laser too. 

On 7/22/2017 at 4:51 PM, Emperor Tele-Limai said:

If I only understood about half of Hardy's dialogue in Dolby Armos, I'm scared/thrilled to see how much I can understand in IMAX. 

:sparta: 

No one cared who he was until he put on the mask.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Emperor Tele-Limai said:

If I only understood about half of Hardy's dialogue in Dolby Armos, I'm scared/thrilled to see how much I can understand in IMAX. 

:sparta: 

Mmm... over & utas!!! Maydum, maydum!!!, or something like that? 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Haha 1