CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

With a 6.5 od, Val at best targeting 17 ow,

1.7 + 4.8 + 6 (+25%) + 4.6 (-23%) = 17.1

(those Sat and Sun holds may not be commensurate with it's reception but haven't seen it so will give it the benefit of the doubt)

Edited by a2knet

3 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Nolan's name has become so huge. And so has RT. Else WB's marketing was sub-par imo and didn't seem proportional to this giant OW.

They must have known something though about those low 30's tracking numbers because they held onto that embargo instead of moving it to an earlier time. We know Fox must have been worried about Apes tracking and it showed up in the weekend numbers. I think same is true with STX/Europa and Valerian's embargo. 

10 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Nolan's name has become so huge. And so has RT. Else WB's marketing was sub-par imo and didn't seem proportional to this giant OW.

After watching the previews, I was NOT excited for this movie other than Nolan's name was on it, plus the crazy-high critic reviews.

I thought the trailers were kind of lame, but now that I've seen the movie, I understand why:

there's not much variation through the whole movie, and that leaves you little to show in the trailers that's distinctive. Seriously, a lot of the shots from the trailers were repeated in a similar way over and over again: planes dive-bombing a beach; soldiers on the beach and docks ducking; ships and people sinking in the water; and dogfights. Over and over. That was 90% of the movie right there.

I don't know how the trailers could have been done any better off the top of my head.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

They must have known something though about those low 30's tracking numbers because they held onto that embargo instead of moving it to an earlier time. We know Fox must have been worried about Apes tracking and it showed up in the weekend numbers. I think same is true with STX/Europa and Valerian's embargo. 

The Church of Nolan rewards those who have faith.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, ban1o said:

SMH has a 90% audience rating on RT and a 8.0 rating on imdb. Nothing to indicate it's disliked by the GP. It's the 6 spider-man movie and 3rd reboot in 15 years. GP just isn't here for SM as much as they used to and it's not an event film. Nothing urging people to see it, especially since they put him back in high school it seems like same old same old. 

It is pretty much like every other spider man film.  I do not think the audience is running telling people you need to see this film

15 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

I like how the Nolan and Thomas account are not even real accounts.  Nolan account since it is a parody and the Thomas account has not been used since 2009.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Emperor Tele-Limai said:

I never imagined my less-than-unqualified-rave would destroy so many souls. :lol: 

Millions destroyed, all because you wouldn't call Dunkirk a great film. What else could you have expected? :D

Edited by Fancyarcher

If Tele had just swallowed his pride and admitted his true love for Dunkirk, @Water Bottle's Summer Game prediction would be looking mighty likely right now.

Alas, we will have to settle for this measly 50M+. All thanks to some old man in California.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not that it matters at the bo much but,

Dunkirk RT Audience Score at 87% (started at 90. fell 3 points since OD).  Same as Apes (started at 91. fell 4 points over last week).

Val's at 64% (started at 67. fell 3 points since DD).

Spidey has stayed steady as hell. Started at 92% and at 91% after two weeks.

Edited by a2knet

Just now, aabattery said:

If Tele had just swallowed his pride and admitted his true love for Dunkirk, @Water Bottle's Summer Game prediction would be looking mighty likely right now.

Alas, we will have to settle for this measly 50M+. All thanks to some old man in California.

Such power. Do I have the wisdom to wield it wisely?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

He will change his mind tomorrow.

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

Valerian's not doing so great, now is it?

:redcapes:

Are you insinuating that I tried to use my powers to benefit it? 

I'm reserving them for another. 

Spoiler

One that probably won't be a big hit either. :kitschjob: 

• Like 2

I can't take this Dunkirk slander from old man Tele and Fake News Futurist so I'm just gonna flood the topic with my boy's dubsmashes. This is what happens when you trash the GOAT.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1