CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

7 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Why is Spider-Man there? Dunkirk is not going to beat SM:H domestic, OS or worldwide.

It's beating it this weekend.

Regardless, I wouldn't put too much thought into the box office analysis of a shitty little gif I made :lol:

Edited by aabattery
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Exactly.

In Rihanna's case, it's particularly absurd to blame her for this since her role is a glorified cameo...

Sigh. I wasn't 'blaming women', I was suggesting that stunt casting is ultimately a false economy. Also, cameo or not, Rihanna was all over the marketing here in the UK.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

I remembered when the first reviews of War for the Planet of the Apes first came out.... In the movie specific thread of War, there were murmurs about creating a club(wondering whether this is actually done) of WFTPOTA's 2nd Weekend bigger than Dunkirks OW.

I am a huge fan of both so was quite pissed seeing that.. lol.

Now Dunkirk's OW might beat War's OW.

Edited by TigerPaw

Why are we talking about the leads, it's not the first scifi action movie that flopped, John carter, Jupiter ascending and even passenger with 2 of the biggest stars at that moment. Just don't give big bugs to fantasie si fi epics if you won't bring anything new to the table, with out trying to get a good script. And about all of you guys calling people ugly, well most people are not ugly, a lot of people don't meet the beauty standarts, but heck you don't have to at all. If the directors just make them likable and show of their strengths. It's not hard, irl it's the same, you meet people you don't find beautiful, but once you get to know them and they become your friends you suddenly you will see them a lot differently and probably will think they are beautiful and have so much to offer. Well thats what a direct should do, make you invested in them show of their strenghts. Ofc the actors should be decent at their job, i just want to say you can't be attractive even if you aren't super good looking.

I do apoligize for my bad grammer and English.

Btw because someone shames a person doesn't mean you ll solve antyhing by lowering youself to doing the same. And you ll lose a lot of credibility cause you just did the exact same, so you basicly gave credibilty to what the other person does. 

Edit: I don't say you can't find people ugly, ofc you can, just waned to say it probably has somehting to do with how the characters are writen aswell.

Edited by pepsa
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

I remembered when the first reviews of War for the Planet of the Apes first came out.... In the movie specific thread of War, there were murmurs about creating a club(wondering whether this is actually done) of WFTPOTA's 2nd Weekend bigger than Dunkirks OW.

I am a huge fan of both so was quite pissed seeing that.. lol.

Now Dunkirk's OW might beat War's OW.

I have numerous posts in the Dunkirk thread on how War could upset Dunkirk :lol: 

They must stay buried.

(though in my weak defense that was before War's ow)

1 minute ago, LexJoker said:

Only 14.5M true Friday for Dunkirk :sadben:

If Dunkirk behaves like War from true Friday,

5.0 + 17.1 + 19.3 + 14.9 = 56.3

5.5 + 14.5 + 16.4 + 12.7 = 49.1

Considering it's been more front-loaded than War over OD, there's chance it won't match War's holds on Sat and Sun either, and come in lower than 49.

16 minutes ago, a2knet said:

If Dunkirk behaves like War from true Friday,

5.0 + 17.1 + 19.3 + 14.9 = 56.3

5.5 + 14.5 + 16.4 + 12.7 = 49.1

Considering it's been more front-loaded than War over OD, there's chance it won't match War's holds on Sat and Sun either, and come in lower than 49.

:(

Why are Cara D and Rihanna getting the blunt of the blame for Valerian flopping? We all knew it was going to flop. It has a $209M budget. The odds for it to succeed were already in doubt just on that budget alone. And we have already seen that just because you cast a well known actor or actress (see the Mummy, Baywatch and Ghost In The Shell etc) it doesn't mean your movie is going to do well financially. Unless your Star Wars, films like Valerian haven't exactly been setting the box office on fire. Heck even a well received Star Trek film didn't set the box office on fire last year. 

Before we even get to the actors you have to consider the script, concept, direction etc but let's skip all of that and get to the actors. Rihanna has a glorified cameo. That's it. If the studio wanted to use her in the marketing that's fine, and that's their right I think everyone going to watch the film knew that she only had a cameo. Cara D is a very well known and successful model. She's just now beginning to venture out into Hollywood. Maybe the studio picked her because they feel like she's going to be the next big thing. Or maybe their top choices said no, so they settled for a relatively well known model who came cheap from a price standpoint? But regardless of whether this film was successful or not, these two women shouldn't suddenly have their careers questioned. Movies flop all the time. Movies with well known actors flop all the time. And yet those actors especially male actors get second and third and fourth chances all the time. And all this talk about Cara D and Rihanna but like what about Dane Dehaan? He's a nobody who got cast in a big budget film like this. Why aren't there questions about how a male actor like him got cast in a film like this as opposed to why well known names like Cara D and Rihanna got cast instead? :thinking:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Stuckmann gave Valerian a C.

He found it visually stunning, but feels the humour, tone and story structure was lacking. But he thinks it will get a cult following similar to the Fith Element.

Ill see Valerian in 6 Hours and there are only a few cases where i have disagreed with him, but my expectations were already low.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1