CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

Valerian's opening indicates a limit to the narrative that audiences want "bright, joyful, colorful" blockbusters. There wasn't much of a real hook if you didn't know the backstory of the project. To the GA it just looked like a generic space adventure; regardless of how much of a labor of love it was for Luc Besson. Audiences can handle dark and grim as long as it feels right for the material, and I think Dunkirk pulled that off better than War/Apes did.

Edited by tribefan695

13 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

From the DCEU films that brought us Wonder Woman, Harley Quinn, Lois Lane, Faora and Amanda Waller. Cara D's character ranks near the bottom.

Cara D should just stick to modeling.

Harley was unwatchable. Don't even know who the in hell Faora or Waller are... Adams is likeable as Lane. Gadot did well with Wondy.

RT never changed the consensus on Valerian. They had it when it was 70%+ with less than 20 reviews and now with 130 reviews when it's on 55%, it says the same things. They went premature with it.

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Harley was unwatchable. Don't even know who the in hell Faora or Waller are... Adams is likeable as Lane. Gadot did well with Wondy.

Faora is the kick ass baddie from MOS.

• Like 1

My theory was never about audiences seeing any & everything that looked light and fun. Valerian looks like the weird French movie that it is. Valerian had so many issues that all the light heartedness in the world wasn't going to save it at the box office. And I'm sorry but you need a Chris Pratt or a Chris Pine or any charismatic actor to lead your space adventure. You don't hire the weird dramatic emo kid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

NOLAN RRRRRANKED:

Inception A+ (who cares if it ripped off Paprika, it's a masterpiece imo)

Memento A+

The Dark Knight A+

The Prestige A

Batman Begins A-

Interstellar A-/B+

Insomnia B+

Following B

The Dark Knight Rises C+/C

Haven't seen Dunkirk yet, but given his track record, I would be shocked if it were anything less than a B- for me.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

Insomnia? Following?

Haven't watched Insomnia. Gonna do it this week. Has been on the top of my watch list for ever.

Gonna look up Following :ph34r:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

Honestly, GT trailer looks like a shitty garbage. So, high RT score is really surprise for me.

It's an expectations game and a current market game...

Trailer is okay and movie wildly exceeds the trailer quality - A+.

All other 2016 summer comedies have been average to bad and this movie is finally really good - A+.

Released at another time, maybe it's an A-/A...but timing and circumstances matter:)...

01. The Dark Knight 10/10
02. Inception 9/10
03. The Prestige 8/10
04. Batman Begins 8/10
05. Memento 8/10
06. The Dark Knight Rises 8/10
07. Interstellar 7/10 or 8/10 depending on my mood
08. Insomnia 7/10
09. Following 7/10

Dunkirk will probably settle for #3 or #2. Im a sucker for war films but i dont think it will beat TDK for me. That is just such an unbelievable Masterpiece.

4 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

NOLAN RRRRRANKED:

Inception A+ (who cares if it ripped off Paprika, it's a masterpiece imo)

Memento A+

The Dark Knight A+

The Prestige A

Batman Begins A-

Interstellar A-/B+

Insomnia B+

Following B

The Dark Knight Rises C+/C

Haven't seen Dunkirk yet, but given his track record, I would be shocked if it were anything less than a B- for me.

Go see it fast, it won't last in Portuguese theaters... Baywatch might be crushing it.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Go see it fast, it won't last in Portuguese theaters... Baywatch might be crushing it.

You do realize that I'm pretty much impossibilitated to go see anything in the theater all Summer long? I'm stuck in my fucking isolated desert of a town, and the only theater near me is in Spain where they translate everything and it's annoying as shit. :(

6 hours ago, XO21 said:

The only singers-rappers that truly delivered at the BO are Eminem and Whitney Houston

Cher too. 

Silkwood was a hit and got her an Oscar nom. 

Mask was a hit. 

Witches of Eastwick was a hit. 

Moonstruck was a huge hit and won her the Oscar. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1