CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

16 minutes ago, Rth Homecoming said:

Really they played the trailer...BD in Atmos not DK

Yeah. Had this video to be exact:

I guess I was bamboozled.

Edited by aabattery

Just now, aabattery said:

Yeah. Had this video to be exact:

Idiots..Just went took a look website they aren't listing it as playing in Atmos (which is correct) but they fact they are playing the  trailer , wonder if they do that with all films on Titan screen. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

a few things I think are interesting this week: 

Dunkirk's gonna be the first movie since Wondy to hold at #1 for two weeks. 

Thank god for Girls' Trip. Was getting concerned not a single comedy was going to land this year.

Baby Driver's a legit WOM hit. It's dealt with a ton of adult-driven blockbusters since opening and has braved all of them. 100 mil depends on if its theater count collapses next weekend. Either way I think it's going to be a signal for studios to put quality mid-budget things in the heart of summer because there is an audience that wants something a little smaller.

War is a dour, joyless movie and there's no reason for WOM to be particularly pleasant. Not surprised it's collapsing against a far superior adult-driven film. That said, Fox should've known moving back to August would've given the film more room to breathe. 

Spidey is doing fine but like a lot of you I'm surprised it's not doing a little better. I think July can get very 'movie of the week' and there's a lot of new stuff taking away attention, but its legs might end up closer to Ultron's (which would take it to 281m) than Guardians' (which would take it to 309m). I thought kids would be driving its weekdays like an animated movie. Oh well. 

lol @ valerian

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Thank god for Girls' Trip. Was getting concerned not a single comedy was going to land this year.

Baby Driver's a legit WOM hit. It's dealt with a ton of adult-driven blockbusters since opening and has braved all of them. 100 mil depends on if its theater count collapses next weekend. Either way I think it's going to be a signal for studios to put quality mid-budget things in the heart of summer because there is an audience that wants something a little smaller.

War is a dour, joyless movie and there's no reason for WOM to be particularly pleasant. Not surprised it's collapsing against a far superior adult-driven film. That said, Fox should've known moving back to August would've given the film more room to breathe. 

Spidey is doing fine but like a lot of you I'm surprised it's not doing a little better. I think July can get very 'movie of the week' and there's a lot of new stuff taking away attention, but its legs might end up closer to Ultron's (which would take it to 281m) than Guardians' (which would take it to 309m). I thought kids would be driving its weekdays like an animated movie. Oh well. 

lol @ valerian

I don't see why BD would lose too many theaters next weekend. Emoji won't be getting 2 screens at all midsize theaters, and Atomic Blonde will only get multiple screens at large theaters where BD won't leave.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, La Binoche said:

Has anyone seen Girls Trip? I like those actresses but the movie looks beyond awful and borderline offensive with those posters of them staring up all googly eyed at dick...is it actually good or are critics trying to seem "woke"? 

Yea, cause it's so offensive that women like dick?  :winomg:

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Gopher said:

I wouldn't stake money on Dunkirk staying at the top til we see both how the weekend and the weekdays go...I remember a few folks before Apes opened that thought Apes would be doing the 2-fer...and we see how well that went...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Gopher said:

lol @ valerian

Love your analysis. Baby Driver did survive its worst competition yet with Dunkirk and Girls Trip. No other film will hurt it for the rest of the summer. $100m total will happen. 

• Like 1

Ban's over:

While I think Dunkirk is a really good movie, I don't see a lot of repeat viewings outside of hardcore fans.  I think a lot of fans will stay away despite the great reviews because of the subject matter, and it is not a "fun" nor feel-good* film.  I still think it's over-rated, but will still get tons of Oscar noms.

I saw Valerian for a 2nd time because a neighbor offered to take me with his family--I didn't tell them I'd already seen it and that I thought it was an "A+/C-" movie because I didn't want to affect their enjoyment of it. That said, I actually liked it much better the 2nd time around! (My friends REALLY liked it, and this audience was way into it)

I see myself seeing Valerian maybe a third or fourth time with my spouse and friends. I don't see myself seeing Dunkirk again despite being as quality as it was--my spouse doesn't like that kind of movie so won't see it at all.  This time viewing Valerian there were a lot of kids in the audience, and they freakin' loved it! I was surprised, but I'm thinking now that of the movies showing now, Valerian is a great option for kids. I've really changed my mind on this one.

I really hope Valerian does better despite it's critics and faults, because I do think it is a special movie in its own weird way, and there's no denying it is a powerhouse of SFX and concept-art, and the plot was actually fine for me on a second viewing (still wish it had different leads though).

lead_960.jpg?1500494322

*in a "I feel inspired!!" way.

Edited by GrimFandango
  • Like 5

Films about WW2 generally have pretty good legs (crunched some numbers from this page and the average multi for the ones that opened above 1M was about 3.7), so I'm not sure it's as limiting as one would think. Of course almost all of those prior WW2 movies opened a lot lower so it's not the greatest comparison. Dunkirk will actually be the third highest opening on that list, and one was a Captain America movie. A 3x multi seems pretty dang reasonable to me though considering all this and the fact that Nolan movies do have a strong tendency to leg it out.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

it makes them look pathetic 

No it doesnt. Whats pathetic about having fun? Is sex pathetic? Is admiring good looking people pathetic? Youre opinion is not shared by me.

• Like 6