MCKillswitch123

WEEKEND THREAD | Weekend actuals (pg. 87 onward) - Dunkirk: 26.6M; The Emoji Movie: 24.5M; Girls Trip: 19.6M; Atomic Blonde: 18.2M; SM Homecoming: 13.2M; War For The POTA: 10.4M; Despicable Me 3: 7.4M; Valerian: 6.3M; Baby Driver: 3.9M; Wonder Woman: 3.3M

FRIDAY AM UPDATE: Focus Features's Atomic Blonde grossed $1.52 million from preview screenings, which began last night in 2,685 theaters. That's nearly double the $870k John Wick brought in from preview showings before opening with $14.4 million and about $700k behind the $2.2 million John Wick: Chapter Twogrossed before its $30.4 million opening earlier this year. It's also behind the $1.8 million Ghost in the Shellbrought in earlier this year ahead of its $18.6 million opening.

Looking at more favorable comparisons, this is on par with the $1.5 million The Equalizer brought in from previews before opening with $34.1 million and ahead of the $1.4 million Kingsman: The Secret Servicegrossed before its $36.2 million debut.

Also last night, Sony's The Emoji Movie took in $900K from 2,205 Thursday early shows starting at 5PM. This is actually an improvement on the $800k The Angry Birds Movie brought in from previews before its $38.1 million opening as well as an improvement on the $650k brought in by Captain Underpants before its $23.8 million debut last month. At the same time, it's just behind the $850k preview gross for Ice Age: Collision Course, which opened with $21.3 million last July.

We'll take a closer look at things tomorrow morning once Friday estimates come in. For now you can check out our weekend preview below.

Source: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4309&p=.htm

Atomic Blonde looks headed for around 16-18M, I would guess. Emoji ain't looking bad for 30M yet (though I hope Dunkirk does more for greedy reasons) :ph34r:

• Like 2

Val did 1.7 in previews and 10x for 17 ow. Same gives Atomic 15 ow. A good ow for it's budget.

But I think 20 ow will happen as it will be less front-loaded than Val. 1.5 previews/12x = 20

tomato law will have another test for this round, but in reverse way, if emoji fly high, then it's done....

But I wonder, last weekend, both dunkirk and GT came in above tracking and both scored really well in RT, why it seem nobody claims that Tomato Law come back to life?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

I expected 1M for Atomic Blonde and 625k for Emoji, so that's decent?

It's not bad for Emoji but it's only $50,000 higher than Ice Age Collision Course's Thursday previews and that did $21m OW so it wouldn't be surprising if it does the same OW as that.

In all fairness, I agree that both did a lot more that I expected (was on the same ballpark as @WrathOfHan), but part of me thinks that AB will be frontloaded (not as much as Valerian, but similarly), and Emoji will just lose momentum non-stop as the weekend goes (20+ is surely more likely than not, though), so I still wouldn't be sure to call anything other than a non-event weekend in front of us :ph34r:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

In all fairness, I agree that both did a lot more that I expected (was on the same ballpark as @WrathOfHan), but part of me thinks that AB will be frontloaded (not as much as Valerian, but similarly), and Emoji will just lose momentum non-stop as the weekend goes (20+ is surely more likely than not, though), so I still wouldn't be sure to call anything other than a non-event weekend in front of us :ph34r:

But maybe with great holds for Dunkirk. GT and (pls movie god give this movie a break) Apes :ohmygod:

• Like 1

This weekend is indicative of why Dunkirk is gonna have good legs. Summer is just dead now, though Annabelle should do well. Other movies (like Detroit) will be smaller-scale hits that won't break into the mainstream. Gonna sound like @CJohn here, but studios (besides WB, who's had a great schedule this summer) really should be ashamed of themselves not putting any tent-pole in August.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It's not bad for Emoji but it's only $50,000 higher than Ice Age Collision Course's Thursday previews and that did $21m OW so it wouldn't be surprising if it does the same OW as that.

Ice Age is a franchise with an established fanbase which makes the OW frontloaded. 

I guess that unless WoM is really toxic, Emoji's previews ensure a +25m OW.

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

But maybe with great holds for Dunkirk. GT and (pls movie god give this movie a break) Apes :ohmygod:

Oh yeah regarding Dunkirk and GT. 's a matter of fact, it's hard not to envision Dunkirk staying at #1 this weekend even w/a 50% drop.

Apes and also Spidey... who knows.

Hopefully Apes stabilizes, but there has been no indication it will. Spidey's 2nd set of weekdays clearly stabilized a bit starting on Day 12, and led to a decent 3rd weekend/week. Apes hasn't really shown signs of that, but maybe the weak openers will help it out.

Edited by Jayhawk
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

This weekend is indicative of why Dunkirk is gonna have good legs. Summer is just dead now, though Annabelle should do well. Other movies (like Detroit) will be smaller-scale hits that won't break into the mainstream. Gonna sound like @CJohn here, but studios (besides WB, who's had a great schedule this summer) really should be ashamed of themselves not putting any tent-pole in August.

The Hitman's Bodyguard has potential to do good business, EmpireCity said it's a decent movie that is a crowd pleaser.

1 minute ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Ice Age is a franchise with an established fanbase which makes the OW frontloaded. 

I guess that unless WoM is really toxic, Emoji's previews ensure a +25m OW.

$20-25m seems likely but it's going to have horrible legs

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Technically speaking, The Dark Tower is a tentpole for Sony.

:sparta:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4