MCKillswitch123

WEEKEND THREAD | Weekend actuals (pg. 87 onward) - Dunkirk: 26.6M; The Emoji Movie: 24.5M; Girls Trip: 19.6M; Atomic Blonde: 18.2M; SM Homecoming: 13.2M; War For The POTA: 10.4M; Despicable Me 3: 7.4M; Valerian: 6.3M; Baby Driver: 3.9M; Wonder Woman: 3.3M

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

SPA needs a shake up and badly otherwise they'll be gone in a couple of a years. 

Sony don't have Bond at the moment as their contract with MGM and EON expired and it's looking likely Warner Bros might be taking over distributing Bond.

They had a major shake up this year. I think the problem maybe Rothman despite SPA's past problems.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

The last time I checked, Emoji don't have any LEGS.

They actually have legs representing the global diversity of the world. Expect legs like these globally:

Spoiler

PELOEMOJILEGS.jpg

7 minutes ago, YourMother said:

They had a major shake up this year. I think the problem maybe Rothman despite SPA's past problems.

TBH If things don't improve, Sony are better off cutting their losses and getting rid of the SPA brand. They could still release animated films but under the Columbia banner. 

• Like 1

Runtimes without credits and attachments for next weekend:

Detroit: 2:15. Attachment is Death Wish.

Inconvenient Sequel: 1:36. Attachments are Daddy's Home and Breathe.

The Dark Tower: 1:29. Attachments unknown.

Kidnap: 1:23. Attachments unknown, but there are probably none.

Detroit has longer credits than The Dark Tower. Who saw that coming? :jeb!: 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Emoji is bound to end up with one of the lowest PTA ever for a movie in over 4000 screens!

Must be even a really good first weekend for it (say 30m) would have it put it as the lowest ever I think. (cloud 2 is maybe the lowest PTA opening over 4000 theater right now, at 34m OW)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/?pagenum=m1015&sort=theaters&order=DESC&p=.htm

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

TBH If things don't improve, Sony are better off cutting their losses and getting rid of the SPA brand. They could still release animated films but under the Columbia banner. 

Or just have in name only like Paramount and Paramount Animation. Or keep SPA for all Sony animated projects and little output and give Columbia a banner for animation like Columbia Animation.

Recently they had a major overhaul, SPA wants to dive into making low budget R rated animated movies for Netflix or home media. The 2020 slate they have planned has a talented list of writers/directors and they seem to be taking a director first type approach.

To be honest, I blame the executives for Emoji. I mean WAG wanted this, odds are there was some meddling.

• Like 1

Decent for Atomic Blonde as it has a $30 million budget, and should do an ow Of between $20-$25 million. 

As for Emoji Movie, ouch this has been the most "high profile" film to get a 0% on Rotten Tomatoes. $900k preview number wouldn't be horrible but it's bad considering it's a film that is getting toxic wom and should do $15-$20 million or so opening weekend. Damn Sony, you fucked up.

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Runtimes without credits and attachments for next weekend:

Detroit: 2:15. Attachment is Death Wish.

Inconvenient Sequel: 1:36. Attachments are Daddy's Home and Breathe.

The Dark Tower: 1:29. Attachments unknown.

Kidnap: 1:23. Attachments unknown, but there are probably none.

Detroit has longer credits than The Dark Tower. Who saw that coming? :jeb!: 

I'm sure Detroit has much more on location shooting.

Dark Tower's budget is 60m, it can still bomb even if that's low relatively. I think it's heading for under 40 domestic, and even if it does a relatively good job overseas it'll be hard to make up that deficit with distribution and advertising.

Meh numbers for both. 

1 hour ago, Jayhawk said:

This weekend is indicative of why Dunkirk is gonna have good legs. Summer is just dead now, though Annabelle should do well. Other movies (like Detroit) will be smaller-scale hits that won't break into the mainstream. Gonna sound like @CJohn here, but studios (besides WB, who's had a great schedule this summer) really should be ashamed of themselves not putting any tent-pole in August.

Studios in general should stop scheduling so many movies at the same time, and thus hurting each others box office. Actually take advantage of the barren months like January/ Feb, & August, more. 

• Like 2