MCKillswitch123

WEEKEND THREAD | Weekend actuals (pg. 87 onward) - Dunkirk: 26.6M; The Emoji Movie: 24.5M; Girls Trip: 19.6M; Atomic Blonde: 18.2M; SM Homecoming: 13.2M; War For The POTA: 10.4M; Despicable Me 3: 7.4M; Valerian: 6.3M; Baby Driver: 3.9M; Wonder Woman: 3.3M

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

Must be even a really good first weekend for it (say 30m) would have it put it as the lowest ever I think. (cloud 2 is maybe the lowest PTA opening over 4000 theater right now, at 34m OW)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/?pagenum=m1015&sort=theaters&order=DESC&p=.htm

The Mummy has the lowest PTA, for now. Under 8k.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

Meh numbers for both. 

Studios in general should stop scheduling so many movies at the same time, and thus hurting each others box office. Actually take advantage of the barren months like January/ Feb, & August, more. 

January and February have been months with big hits for a while now. August is usually active too except for the end of the month, which is always treated as a dead zone and always will be.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Meh numbers for both. 

Studios in general should stop scheduling so many movies at the same time, and thus hurting each others box office. Actually take advantage of the barren months like January/ Feb, & August, more. 

February has become more of a viable month and I think this September will be bigger than normal with It, Kingsman and Ninjago

17 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Or just have in name only like Paramount and Paramount Animation. Or keep SPA for all Sony animated projects and little output and give Columbia a banner for animation like Columbia Animation.

Recently they had a major overhaul, SPA wants to dive into making low budget R rated animated movies for Netflix or home media. The 2020 slate they have planned has a talented list of writers/directors and they seem to be taking a director first type approach.

To be honest, I blame the executives for Emoji. I mean WAG wanted this, odds are there was some meddling.

To me it sounds like SPA has no clear idea what they want to be. Doing R rated films is good and all but it's not going to be a major revenue earner and neither is doing things like The Star and by 2020, who knows where Sony will be 

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

The Mummy has the lowest PTA, for now. Under 8k.

You are right

At the moment

The Mummy: $31.6m

Cloudy 2: 34m

Ninja Turtle: 35m

Emoji should achieve a new record easily, 25m would be great for a movie like that.

50 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

SPA needs a shake up and badly otherwise they'll be gone in a couple of a years. 

Sony don't have Bond at the moment as their contract with MGM and EON expired and it's looking likely Warner Bros might be taking over distributing Bond.

In the case of SPA, they need to stop greenlighting whatever crazy ideas they come ahead. Have some quality control anyway.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

In the case of SPA, they need to stop greenlighting whatever crazy ideas they come ahead. Have some quality control anyway.

They need a brain trust like Pixar or WDAS or WAG,

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, filmlover said:

January and February have been months with big hits for a while now. August is usually active too except for the end of the month, which is always treated as a dead zone and always will be.

Until recently January is still treated like the blacksheep month though. The thing is, is that studios really need to spread their films out more. There are loads of potential weekends in August where they could release a major film, but won't / haven't planned that far ahead anyway.

14 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

February has become more of a viable month and I think this September will be bigger than normal with It, Kingsman and Ninjago

September certainly has become better and better when it comes to releases. I'm curious to see what its overall box office that month will be, especially compared to the last few years anyway.

Edited by Fancyarcher