MCKillswitch123

WEEKEND THREAD | Weekend actuals (pg. 87 onward) - Dunkirk: 26.6M; The Emoji Movie: 24.5M; Girls Trip: 19.6M; Atomic Blonde: 18.2M; SM Homecoming: 13.2M; War For The POTA: 10.4M; Despicable Me 3: 7.4M; Valerian: 6.3M; Baby Driver: 3.9M; Wonder Woman: 3.3M

Why can't 30 happen for EMOJI?

VAL jumped 25% from true Friday. Using 22.5% for EMOJI...
0.9 + 9.3 + 11.4 (+22.5%) + 8.4 (-26%) = 30

If the RT score is to be believed, Emoji is going to have toxic WOM and drop hugely on SAT and every following weekend.

The first John Wick got a B. Anyway Cinema Score is useless when predicting legs. I don't believe Atomic blonde is going to have the impact of John Wick. It's opening weekend is good for it's budget though but let's see if it collapses or not.

• Like 2

(Going off both Asgard and DHD's weekend)

INSANE Friday bump for Girls Trip. Early DHD numbers were, per typical with early DHD, not trustworthy. GT is a lock to be the Bad Moms-type female comedy of the Summer, and it's 100M+ bound for sure. Probably around 130M if it keeps these kind of holds, in a very Central Intelligence-esque run, which would be over Baywatch + Snatched + one of Rough Night or The House's DOM totals COMBINED.

Dunkirk is looking to a good hold as well, which doesn't surprise me either. I would be equally unsurprised w/a 50% drop, but the solid week run gave me positive hope for a sub-50 drop. Don't know about 200M, but Interstellar numbers seem very likely.

Emoji could do worse than that, in all honesty. If anything, this proves that, if the movie had ounce of acceptable wom, it probably would've broken out (I was thinking Angry Birds numbers a while ago). It'll probably still end financially successful for Sony w/a 50M budget. Let's just hope that doesn't drive them to make a sequel.

AB doing just around Valerian numbers (but less frontloaded). But again, w/a budget of 30M, it's not in dire straits.

Spidey w/a good Friday and drop, it seems 300M bound. Wonder Woman w/an EPIC Friday and hold, it absolutely is 400M bound. The top 3 movies of the Summer are all superhero films. Where thou at, fatigue?

Apes is just sad to see. I'm starting to think that it could've done a lot better in November/December (the awards-contention months). But then again, I doubt that wom would always be very positive for a heavy drama that sells itself as a big action movie anyway. Valerian in the same depressive state of just depressing to see (though hardly shocking).

Baby Driver is locked to hit 100M, just like Girls Trip. Can we take solace in how fucking EPIC that is? Edgar Wright's highest grossing worldwide movie, before BD, was Hot Fuzz at around 80M+ WW.

DM3's late legs continue to impress me, gotta be honest. It's very likely that it actually beats DM1 unadjusted, at this point. Which isn't a great feat, but given its generally underperforming run, at least it doesn't hit the full on rock bottom.

The limited openers don't seem too strong. Though I imagine Detroit was hindered by the dumb 50 theater strategy. Let's see how it does next week.

• Like 3

Girls Trip! :sparta:

Wonder Woman :insane:

Smh with an EPIC BEYOND EPIC increase

Atomic Blond is doing well imo. It's an original film starring an actress who's never been in this kind of role before. For that to open up to around 18 million is about as good as they could expect. My guess is they were hoping for 20 but 18 with decent legs I'll get it past 50 and then hopefully 60. But not a bad opening at all.

• Like 5

Also strong holds for Dunkirk, Girl's Trip, and Homecoming. Dunkirk might be able to might Interstellar numbers, Girls Trip might go $130M+, and Homecoming won't only be Sony's highest grossing movie since Skyfall but if lucky can leg it out to $320M.

• Like 2

Nothing to add. WW is the slayer of the summer. Unless there's unforeseen upset later in the year, Top 3 of 2017 will all have a female lead (TLJ, BatB and WW). SMH has stabilized as expected. Apes in free fall. In Nolan We Trust. GP is the comedy of the summer. Blah for new openers. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Doesn't matter. It's large second weekend and third weekend drops are going to make it the lowest DOM superhero this summer.

Lmao.

Nice spin.

I guess a reboot needs to make 388 m to be a success. :rock:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Nothing to add. WW is the slayer of the summer. Unless there's unforeseen upset later in the year, Top 3 of 2017 will all have a female lead (TLJ, BatB and WW). SMH has stabilized as expected. Apes in free fall. In Nolan We Trust. GP is the comedy of the summer. Blah for new openers. 

Justice League will not be an upset. It will be a fully expected top three placement. :P 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrPink said:

Lol, both trailers labeled them as 'Visionary,' the studios did this by abusing the word visionary.

Yimou is an excellent excellent director (not a fan of Besson generally), but visionary seems like a somewhat weird descriptor.

Neither are cinematic game-changers though.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, MrPink said:

Lol, both trailers labeled them as 'Visionary,' the studios did this by abusing the word visionary.

Yimou is an excellent excellent director (not a fan of Besson generally), but visionary seems like a somewhat weird descriptor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've been getting my friend to watch the original Spider-Man trilogy since he saw Homecoming a week or so ago. He's never seen them, and I told him to stay away from previews, reviews, looking into source matieriel etc.

He loved all of them, but we just finished the last one a few minutes ago with a couple other friends and he said that "honestly, they're all good but the third one is the best by far. Masterpiece." Which is kinda interesting.

Like, the first is always going to be my favourite, and the second to be fair is the "best" but damn after re watching the third for the second time in a week, it's pretty fuckin great too.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1