MCKillswitch123

WEEKEND THREAD | Weekend actuals (pg. 87 onward) - Dunkirk: 26.6M; The Emoji Movie: 24.5M; Girls Trip: 19.6M; Atomic Blonde: 18.2M; SM Homecoming: 13.2M; War For The POTA: 10.4M; Despicable Me 3: 7.4M; Valerian: 6.3M; Baby Driver: 3.9M; Wonder Woman: 3.3M

4 minutes ago, XO21 said:

Kingsman

IT

Mother!

The rated R/horror month :sparta:

you know what...now that you mention it and having a look, it seems all major September releases are rated R. Kingsman, AM, AS are also R.  How crazy is that?

Edited by Alli
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

They'll split the next IT movie into two parts if that happens for sure!
insane.png

No they wont. The kids stuff has more material than the adult stuff.

• Like 1

I feel like I planted the seeds for chaos in this thread when I made my It post :P

I remind you all: I said It COULD flirt w/high numbers, but I don't want anybody to make crazy predictions. I won't be making them myself - I see a 45-50M OW realistic, plausible and fantastic for an R-rated horror film.

• Like 1

Sorry I'm just chuckling because nearly everyone except @Stutterng baumer Denbrough called me crazy for saying SMH would have sequel-like legs, AKA under a 3x multiplier. So many people here were convinced it'd have insane WOM, but nope, surprise that Iron Man fatigue combined with the seventh Spider-Man movie ever didn't feel fresh for audiences.

(I will eat crow though on the fact that it probably will have better legs than Guardians 2, so SMH fans can get that from me.)

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Barnack said:

IF those low budget 150m rumors are true (the second one had a 235 million gross budget) it should make a good profit (specially that there is not much movie star getting first dollar gross point here to make it harder).

It could even do movie budget + bonus before break even at the domestic box office alone, usually when you achieve that on a movie of a mid budget or more (say over 25m) you are in a really good position and you never loose real money, except if it changed recently that is the only box office rules of thumb that seem to be true in all eras, if you do over budget+bonus before Break even point at the dbo you should be ok bar a terrible home video performance + terrible oversea performance, but even then you should not loose real money.

Almost none of the sony released movie between 2006 and 2014 lost money if they did that, and the exceptions are movie like those:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=30minutesorless.htm

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $37,053,924    91.4%
Foreign:  $3,493,516    8.6%

= Worldwide:  $40,547,440

On a 31 million budget + 45 million P&A, loosing 13m

Thanks for the breakdown. How much of the domestic box office goes to the studio vs. overseas box office? I heard/read somewhere (I really do not recall where) that the studio only makes 25% of the profits from China. How does China compare to other overseas markets? Is it on par or exceptional? Thanks! Either way, maybe Apes will do better overseas. I know it started slow, but who knows?

• Like 1

The Emoji Movie actively made me angry.  it's more than just a dumb little kids films.  It's a movie that spouts every single app in your face, with its goals to either be 1. "Hey kids, look at how cool this app is!  You should download it off of the App Store and play to give us money!" or 2. "Hey kids, it's that one app you recognize!  Aren't we such a COOOL movie?"

It's one of the worst films I've ever seen.  It's nothing but a blatant exercise in forced product placement and corporate greed.  You can tell Sony knew how much kids would fall for this, and judging by the reactions of the 5 year olds in the audience, it probably did.

• Like 4

Saying that IT is destined to have this or that run because other horror movies did is absurd. If the film is good it could easily have good legs. People were predicting Wonder Woman to have a 2.2-2.4 multi because the other DCEU films did and that absolutely did not happen. Predict IT's legs based on what you think it will do not based on other films. The quality and watchabilty of the film will matter.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, That Atomic Guy said:

The Emoji Movie actively made me angry.  it's more than just a dumb little kids films.  It's a movie that spouts every single app in your face, with its goals to either be 1. "Hey kids, look at how cool this app is!  You should download it off of the App Store and play to give us money!" or 2. "Hey kids, it's that one app you recognize!  Aren't we such a COOOL movie?"

It's one of the worst films I've ever seen.  It's nothing but a blatant exercise in forced product placement and corporate greed.  You can tell Sony knew how much kids would fall for this, and judging by the reactions of the 5 year olds in the audience, it probably did.

Sooooooooo.... still worse than Beauty And The Beast, right? :ph34r:

4 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

God DAMN @ Emoji's increase from last night.

It wasn't in the film because THE KIDS WOULD BECOME VIOLENT SOCIOPATHS 

but the beer emoji is; is it okay that children become alcoholic sociopaths?

9 minutes ago, That Atomic Guy said:

so are you giving 4.5/5 or 5/5??

4 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

"Oh no! A movie I'm never going to see is doing well! Now they might make more movies that I'll never see!"

Low key stanning for Emoji.

I know you're just stanning for your man Doyle, I see right through you

7 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Saying that IT is destined to have this or that run because other horror movies did is absurd. If the film is good it could easily have good legs. People were predicting Wonder Woman to have a 2.2-2.4 multi because the other DCEU films did and that absolutely did not happen. Predict IT's legs based on what you think it will do not based on other films. The quality and watchabilty of the film will matter.

tbh, DCEU films have a short history (just 3 films before WONDR) whereas horror films having bad legs has a long history. So there's a lot more data. But yeah, anything can always happen with bo. 2.2-2.4x is likely but never certain.

• Like 1