MCKillswitch123

WEEKEND THREAD | Weekend actuals (pg. 87 onward) - Dunkirk: 26.6M; The Emoji Movie: 24.5M; Girls Trip: 19.6M; Atomic Blonde: 18.2M; SM Homecoming: 13.2M; War For The POTA: 10.4M; Despicable Me 3: 7.4M; Valerian: 6.3M; Baby Driver: 3.9M; Wonder Woman: 3.3M

3 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

I don't even know what watching a film "from a critic's POV" means.  I am a moviegoer, plain and simple. The film did not engage me intellectually or emotionally. It did not thrill me or make me laugh; it did not make me cry or even smile. Furthermore, its 'love is boundless' message felt stale and tired in the context of the remake's execution. To me (yes,to ME) it was soulless. Absolutely devoid of soul.  This is all my opinion, of course. If you loved it, more power to you. Clearly, audiences could not get enough of it. But audiences loving it does not invalidate my opinion or the opinion of anyone who thinks it is a soulless endeavor.   We all like different stuff, and it's ok...

Watching critically. A comment like a

movie being soulless or comparing it frame by frame to its predecessor is watching critically. I did not do those things. I watched purely for entertainment. Did not even really think about the animated version. 

1 minute ago, That Atomic Guy said:

The thing is, people don't know they want something until they get it.  They're pandering to what the "focus groups" wanted to see rather than bringing in a director with a vision.  They could've tried to put their own spin on it rather than just copying it shot for shot and people still would've probably liked it.  But nope, originality is overrated, let's copy the animated one,

But maybe people wouldn't have liked it as much. Could it have been a better movie? Sure, absolutely, but I do believe that in this particular instance you're dealing with material that you probably shouldn't mess with at all. Again, it's a live action re-telling of one of the most beloved fairy tales/animated movies of all time. Mess with it a bit and you risk alienating the large part of the audience who just simply wants to see this story in live action. That's it. No more.

I see what you're saying. I do, and in a lot of instances I agree. I just think Disney did the right thing here. Not just because of the box office performance, or the money itself, but the fact the audience ate it up. It's what they wanted.

6 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I think people would rather see original properties, but it's not encouraging when a John Carter flops hard while a TJB or BATB remake becomes a huge box office hit for the same studio. It encourages them to take zero risks. Even something like Inside Out, which was successful enough to encourage more risks by Disney, ended up dwarfed by an unnecessary Nemo sequel not long after that. 

John Carter wasn't original nor was it a good movie. It's not a tragedy that it failed.

5 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I think people would rather see original properties, but it's not encouraging when a John Carter flops hard while a TJB or BATB remake becomes a huge box office hit for the same studio. It encourages them to take zero risks. Even something like Inside Out, which was successful enough to encourage more risks by Disney, ended up dwarfed by an unnecessary Nemo sequel not long after that. 

You're not wrong at all. I guess this is the cold, hard, cynical truth but, like many consumer businesses, the studios are doing what sells. Are they responsible for doing a better job when it comes to original movies? Yes ( and most studios seem to have low budget original movies down pat), but I think it's also up to audience to give some of these movies a chance.

Look at Valerian. STX and Besson tried, and it's not like it was a bad movie. The audience just didn't show up.

• Like 1

Is it safe to say that Disney is the safest studio out there??

Not blaming them, since people rush out to see everything they serve but it would be nice once in a while to take some risks. After all, there is nothing left for Mickey to prove...

Edited by FantasticBeasts

3 minutes ago, Diana Prince said:

Watching critically. A comment like a

movie being soulless or comparing it frame by frame to its predecessor is watching critically. I did not do those things. I watched purely for entertainment. Did not even really think about the animated version. 

I went to watch the film because I wanted to enjoy a piece of entertainment, like I do when I go watch any film. I just could not help that leaving the theatre I was thorougly unmoved by the soulless spectacle of what I had just seen.  Yes, in MY opinion.

Again; it's all good.

We all have different taste, different expectations, and different views about...everything.

• Like 1

One thing I will say, and I guess this is just my personal taste, is that studios should try doing less FX heavy original movies/franchises. Audiences will put up with the heavy FX in established franchises, like Marvel, DC, Star Wars, Harry Potter/Fantastic Beasts etc., but we're living in an age when visual effects aren't anything special anymore so a new franchise in space or whatever with lots of VFX doesn't give us any incentive.

I'd rather studios start to develop more grounded original characters, places and stories. Give us new stories and legends and then go from there.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 1

Just now, FantasticBeasts said:

Is it safe to say that Disney I the safest studio out there??

Not blaming them, since people rush out to see everything they serve but I woul be nice once in a while to take some risks. After all, there is nothing left do Mickey to prove...

Used to be the other way around, before they bought Marvel, bought Star Wars, and began sequelizing the hell out of their animated properties. I'm including remakes as well. 2003 is a good example. Nemo and Pirates were both expensive and pretty risky. Both turned out to be extremely profitable and ultimately turned into easy safe franchises for the studio. 

• Like 4

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

The thing I hate about Disney is how they just will not make any real adult films. At best they make PG 13 inspirational dramas.

True. I mean don't get me wrong I like Marvel, Pixar/WDAS, and Lucasfilm but their live action slate sucks. It's almost always remakes. A good idea would be to revive Touchstone as their New Line Cinema for darker films maybe even venture into horror movies. Then it'd be complete Disney domination.

• Like 2

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

The thing I hate about Disney is how they just will not make any real adult films. At best they make PG 13 inspirational dramas.

That was the point of Miramax/Dimension, Touchstone, Hollywood Pictures, etc. But they don't exist anymore.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmnerdjamie said:

That was the point of Miramax/Dimension, Touchstone, Hollywood Pictures, etc. But they don't exist anymore.

I know. I wish they'd set up or partner up with another small production company again. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, That Atomic Guy said:

The only Disney movie I'm looking forward to is A Wrinkle in Time, and that's because IT ACTUALLY LOOKS DIFFERENT HOLY SHIT

I agree. Their non Marvel/Lucasfilm live action slate sucks is just remakes, except for a few things like Wrinkle. I think it'd be nice if they resurrected Touchstone for their more darker films and their risks. I mean imagine if Disney/Touchstone did a big budget horror movie.

• Like 1