MCKillswitch123

WEEKEND THREAD | Weekend actuals (pg. 87 onward) - Dunkirk: 26.6M; The Emoji Movie: 24.5M; Girls Trip: 19.6M; Atomic Blonde: 18.2M; SM Homecoming: 13.2M; War For The POTA: 10.4M; Despicable Me 3: 7.4M; Valerian: 6.3M; Baby Driver: 3.9M; Wonder Woman: 3.3M

Really enjoyed atomic blonde. That hallway scene everyone is talking about was incredible. One of the best hand to hand action scenes I've ever seen. Hard hitting and relentless. Theron and Boutella were awesome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

Studio get about 53% of the domestic box office (it varies quite, small documentary get almost nothing, independants movies can get 35% but studio release is usually between 50-55%)

Studio movie tend to get around 40% in average overseas outside China, Sony rentention rate for is biggest title (like James Bond) looked like this:

Japan 49%
South Korea 47%
Germany 45%
Austria 45%
Australia 44%
UK 44%
Switzerland 44%
Belgium 43%
Spain 43%
Russia 42%
Brazil 41%
Italy 41%
Netherlands 41%
France 39%
Mexico 38%
China 25%

For is total annual slate it is a bit lower, but not that much, it looked like this:

Japan 47%
South Korea 47%
Germany 44%
Spain 44%
Belgium 43%
Switzerland 42%
Russia 42%
Austria 42%
Italy 41%
Australia 41%
Brazil 40%
Average 43%
Netherlands 40%
UK 40%
France 39%
Mexico 37%
China 25%

Has you see China seem to be quite a different case with 25%, but when you look at the profit margin (rental - cost of distributing the movie in the market) on a movie annual slate it look like this:

T Retention rate Profit margin
Switzerland 42% 29%
Netherlands 40% 28%
Austria 42% 27%
Belgium 43% 26%
UK 40% 23%
Australia 41% 22%
Russia 42% 22%
Germany 44% 22%
China 25% 21%

South Korea 47% 19%
France 39% 19%
Japan 47% 15%
Spain 44% 13%
Mexico 37% 13%
Brazil 40% 13%
Italy 41% 11%

Average 40% 23%

In term of net return it is just below the average and not that different that the rest (or worst than domestic), what make China a weaker market for most movie is the post theatrical (dvd/tv/etc...) not the box office.

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

Studio get about 53% of the domestic box office (it varies quite, small documentary get almost nothing, independants movies can get 35% but studio release is usually between 50-55%)

Studio movie tend to get around 40% in average overseas outside China, Sony rentention rate for is biggest title (like James Bond) looked like this:

Japan 49%
South Korea 47%
Germany 45%
Austria 45%
Australia 44%
UK 44%
Switzerland 44%
Belgium 43%
Spain 43%
Russia 42%
Brazil 41%
Italy 41%
Netherlands 41%
France 39%
Mexico 38%
China 25%

For is total annual slate it is a bit lower, but not that much, it looked like this:

Japan 47%
South Korea 47%
Germany 44%
Spain 44%
Belgium 43%
Switzerland 42%
Russia 42%
Austria 42%
Italy 41%
Australia 41%
Brazil 40%
Average 43%
Netherlands 40%
UK 40%
France 39%
Mexico 37%
China 25%

Has you see China seem to be quite a different case with 25%, but when you look at the profit margin (rental - cost of distributing the movie in the market) on a movie annual slate it look like this:

T Retention rate Profit margin
Switzerland 42% 29%
Netherlands 40% 28%
Austria 42% 27%
Belgium 43% 26%
UK 40% 23%
Australia 41% 22%
Russia 42% 22%
Germany 44% 22%
China 25% 21%

South Korea 47% 19%
France 39% 19%
Japan 47% 15%
Spain 44% 13%
Mexico 37% 13%
Brazil 40% 13%
Italy 41% 11%

Average 40% 23%

In term of net return it is just below the average and not that different that the rest (or worst than domestic), what make China a weaker market for most movie is the post theatrical (dvd/tv/etc...) not the box office.

Amazing post. Thank you so much for the breakdown. Some of you are so darned knowledgeable on the box office. Impressive! I have a greater understanding and appreciation for the financial aspects now. It would seem very difficult for a film not to make a profit, unless it flips to the extent of WB's King Arthur.

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

So you got paid to watch it. 

No sympathy. :lol: 

He's also lucky he still has little cousins to take.  The ones I used to take are in high school now and don't care about seeing the animations I want to see anymore.

I better get a niece or nephew soon to take or I'm going to have to find myself a wife so I can have a kid who I can take to see my Disney movies. :ph34r:

Ya'll really thought I was exaggerating when I gave the Emoji Movie a 0/10. No one wanted to listen to Nova because sometimes Nova gets really emotional about things and goes on rants that aren't really warranted....but this one time....those rants about how awful the Emoji Movie was were justified. 

And yes I'm still mad about the two hours that I wasted when I could have done anything else :( 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Nova said:

Ya'll really thought I was exaggerating when I gave the Emoji Movie a 0/10. No one wanted to listen to Nova because sometimes Nova gets really emotional about things and goes on rants that aren't really warranted....but this one time....those rants about how awful the Emoji Movie was were justified. 

And yes I'm still mad about the two hours that I wasted when I could have done anything else :( 

Seeing terrible movies is good for the soul. They let you really appreciate good ones.

It's like how sometimes in life you can only learn by failing terribly.

Edited by El Panda Machos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Nova said:

A 0/10 is way too kind for it :lol: 

• Like 2

Even if The Emoji Movie did manage not to be a disaster, it'll be lucky to sell more tickets than Surf's Up did. Animation has been utterly dire this year, aside from Despicable Me 3 building on Illumination's worldwide appeal. Incidentally it should have a similar run to the equally reviled Jack and Jill in 2011. 

Atomic Blonde is a tad more disappointing, but I think a lot of the more lukewarm praise compared to things like John Wick definitely limited its potential, IMO, especially with more adult appeal. Competing with Dunkirk was also a big challenge.

Speaking of, Dunkirk looks like it'll win next weekend. I'd be shocked if Detroit did better than Selma, and The Dark Tower has looked pretty blah for a while. Definitely could see a mid teens opening; low 20s is the best case scenario at this point. Jesus, who'd have guessed that Baby Driver would be Sony's fifth highest grossing film when 2016 and 17 were taken together?

Valerian....might as well let sleeping dogs lie. Will it even outgross Lucy's OW?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Diana Prince said:

Amazing post. Thank you so much for the breakdown. Some of you are so darned knowledgeable on the box office. Impressive! I have a greater understanding and appreciation for the financial aspects now. It would seem very difficult for a film not to make a profit, unless it flops to the extent of WB's King Arthur.

Still a shame, that movie was real fun; it tried to be really different from all the other King Arthur adaptations and it had a great third act as well. Such a fun time at the theater.

In a similar vein I'm real glad Pirates ended up doing a bit better than we all thought after its OW. Another great time at the movie theater even if it weren't quite as good as King Arthur.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, Spaghetti of 1000 Planets said:

Even if The Emoji Movie did manage not to be a disaster, it'll be lucky to sell more tickets than Surf's Up did. Animation has been utterly dire this year, aside from Despicable Me 3 building on Illumination's worldwide appeal. Incidentally it should have a similar run to the equally reviled Jack and Jill in 2011. 

Considering how big 2016 was for animation, I wasn't surprised for us to have a soft year in animation for 2017, similar to 2010 and 2011, me and @narniadis talked about this earlier in the year.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 2

Just now, Jonwo said:

I could see Goosebumps moving but that's it really.

True. I wonder if they can pull of 4 movies in 2018, something not even DWA could do.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I'm thinking after Emoji's OW and/or The Star's OW, SPA might push some of their 2018 films back. Any thoughts @Jonwo?

Isn't Emoji still a success? BOM says it cost $50 million.

Maybe fast-track Emoji 2: The Poop Rises for 2018?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, MrGlass2 said:

Isn't Emoji still a success? BOM says it cost $50 million.

Maybe fast-track Emoji 2: The Poop Rises for 2018?

It'll break even. TLV did $195M WW which seems likely for where it'll head (give or take $20M) and SPA was disappointed with the results. However a sequel may be out of the cards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Founder / Operator
1 hour ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Awesome. 70mm IMAX and 1.43 Laser IMAX are both a jawdropping experience with Dunkirk. 

I haven't even checked to see where the nearest laser IMAX is to me. I've been very spoiled having 70mm options within driving distance the last few years.

• Like 2