Deathly Hallows Part 2

Half-Blood Prince

Sorcerer's Stone

Order of the Phoenix

Deathly Hallows Part 1

Goblet of Fire

Chamber of Secrets

Prisoner of Azkaban

I think the films got immeasurably better overall once they took a darker tone in Goblet of Fire. However, I have to put Sorcerer's Stone up there for nostalgia. It was a perfect start to the series and brings back great memories to this day for me.

The books are harder to rank, as I love them all. Chamber of Secrets was a thrilling read when I first read it, but for some reason now I'm less drawn to that than the others. Something about the Order of the Phoenix is fantastic to me, maybe because it is the longest one so there's more there =)

Something about the Order of the Phoenix is fantastic to me, maybe because it is the longest one so there's more there =)

OotP is my favorite, I felt it opened up the universe more and I liked that Harry was angry and isolated and really feeling the burden of his life, and it was the beginning of him really questioning Dumbledore's motives. Plus, it threw a curveball into the romance equation, when it had seemed inevitable what the utlimate pairings were going to be after the first four books. Why was Luna there and so intrigued by all things "Ronald"? Harry gave not one crap about Ginny dating other guys. Hermione the relationship expert had nothing to say about Ron's obvious jealousy at the idea of her being involved with Viktor or Harry? It seemed like maybe JKR was setting up a twist. Then with HBP it was like, nope, it was exactly the couples you thought it was going to be after the first book or two. Boring!

But I get a lot of the decisions made with the OotP movie because so much of what was interesting about the book (IMO) wasn't really followed through in the remainder of the series. One example, Tonks started out with a strong introduction, a shapeshifting auror related to Sirius and the Malfoys, she's closer to Harry's generation than characters like Snape or Lupin, she's a little intrigued by Harry and maybe even borderline flirtatious ("Wand still in your jeans? Both buttocks still on?" *ahem*). But post-OotP, all she does is mope and get married to Lupin after five minutes of dating—heaven forbid a character get pregnant out of wedlock even though the books were supposedly so All. Grown. Up! by the last one—have a baby and show up dead in the background. So there was really no point in giving her much screentime in the OotP movie because by then it was obvious the character wasn't going to matter much.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica

Books:

1. Half-Blood Prince

2. Deathly Hallows

3. Prisoner of Azkaban

4. Goblet of Fire

5. Sorceror's Stone

6. Order of the Phoenix

7. Chamber of Secrets

Films:

1. Goblet of Fire

2. Half-Blood Prince

3. Deathly Hallows Part I

4. Prisoner of Azkaban

5. Deathly Hallows Part II

6. Sorceror's Stone

7. Order of the Phoenix

8. Chamber of Secrets

Books:

1. Prisoner of Azkaban

2. Deathly Hallows

3. Order of the Phoenix

4. Half-Blood Prince

5. Sorcerer's Stone

6. Chamber of Secrets

7. Goblet of Fire (I'm weird, I know, but I couldn't have possibly cared less about the pseudo-Olympics BS. I just wanted to get back to the actual story)

Films:

1. Deathly Hallows 2

2. Prisoner of Azkaban

3. Deathly Hallows 1

4. Half-Blood Prince

5. Goblet of Fire

6. Chamber of Secrets

7. Sorcerer's Stone

8. Order of the Phoenix (Yates sort of blew it with this one)

Edited by Sims

8. Order of the Phoenix (Yates sort of blew it with this one)

I can't get past Yates' bizarre insistence on OotP being the shortest HP movie and completely missing the point of Snape's Worst Memory (I recall fans guessing that it had to do with Lily back when the book came out in 2003?). Too many flashing newspaper headlines without any real weight to them. Things that you would think would strike filmmakers as inherently dramatic—Aunt Petunia knows what dementors are! Ron and Hermione get seriously hurt at the Department of Mysteries—are inexplicably left out. Well, maybe they left out how so many people were hurt beyond Sirius, because it was like Rowling hit a reset button when she was writing HBP and her attitude was, "Okay, did the emo PTSD/people don't trust Harry bit last year. All my carefully plotted angsty-yet-lighthearted romance will never work with Harry blaming himself for somebody else's death again (even if he is kind of responsible this time)!"

So from the filmmaker's POV, you might as well not play up the extent of Harry's recklessness in OotP the book, or how he was all CAPS LOCK RAGE for months because he felt Cedric's death was partially his fault, but when someone a lot more important to him dies (and his friends are put in mortal peril) because of his actions, he's like, "Oh, well, Sirius wouldn't want me to be sad! Back to ogling Ginny!" IMO it's a major inconsistency between the stories that the filmmakers had to work around. OotP the movie is what it is in part because HBP the book took the turns it did. Butchering Snape's Worst Memory, though, no excuse.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 1

for the movies, essentially i have this line of quality in my mind that splits hbp, dh1, dh2 and poa as the good ones and ootp, gof, cos and ps as the not-so-good ones.

Edited by lisa

Books:Order of the PhoenixDeathly HallowsGoblet of FireHalf-Blood PrincePrisoner of AzkabanSorcerer's StoneChamber of SecretsFilms:Deathly Hallows 1Deathly Hallows 2 Half-Blood Prince Prisoner of AzkabanSorcerer's StoneOrder of the PhoenixGoblet of FireChamber of Secrets

Films

1. PoA - 9/10

2. DH 1 - 9/10

3. HBP: 8/10

4. TSS: 7/10

5. DH2: 7/10

6. GOF: 6/10

7. COS: 6/10

8. OotP: 6/10

It's been about half a decade since I've read the books, but from how I remember them.....

1. DH

2. HBP

3. GOF

4. POA

5. OOTP

6. SS

7. COS

Edited by Lumos

Goblet of Fire (the movie) is such complete shit that I'm actually working on a lengthy review. I'll post it when I'm done on the off chance that anyone here is interested in reading it.

• Like 2

Books:1.Goblet of Fire2. Deathly Hollows3. Prisoner of Azkaban4. Half Blood-Prince5. Chamber of Secrets6. Sorcerer's Stone7. Order of the PhoenixMovies:1. Prisoner of Azkaban2. Deathly Hollows part 23. Half Blood-Prince4. Goblet of Fire5. Chamber of Secrets6. Sorcerer's Stone7. Deathly Hollow part 18. Order of the Phoenix.

• Like 1

Books:

1. The Goblet of Fire (95) A

2. The Half-Blood Prince (93) A

3. The Chamber of Secrets (89) B+

4. The Prisoner of Azkaban (88) B+

5. The Deathly Hallows (87) B

6. The Philosopher's Stone (84) B

7. The Order of the Phoenix (83) B

Movies:

1. The Philosopher's Stone (87) B+

2. The Deathly Hallows Part 2 (87) B+

3. The Chamber of Secrets (85) B

4. The Half-Blood Prince (85) B

5. The Deathly Hallows Part 1 (84) B

6. The Prisoner of Azkaban (84) B

7. The Goblet of Fire (83) B

8. The Order of the Phoenix (80) B-

I guess the moral for the story behind my rankings is that the quality of the whole series was quite consistent for me (the range only encompassed one letter grade) and even if I ranked something relatively lower than usual I still cherish all of the entries. The different directors all brought a unique style to the table and helped to keep the installments fresh and exciting. IMO the books are clearly superior but that does not diminish the achievement of the films in any way. 

Edited by Kingslayer

Here's what I think

Books

1 Deathly Hallows (King's Cross Station was the best chapter of all the books! Pure BEST. Unraveling of all the secrets! It also has my 3rd favourite chapter - the prince's secret)

2 Order of the Phoenix ( The Lost Prophecy chapter had me Flying in the air, my second favourite chapter)

3 Goblet of Fire

4 Chamber of Secrets

5 Prisoner of Azkaban/ Half Blood Prince/ Sorcerer's Stone

Whew! That was tough I could just not make myself rank anybook as the last!

Anyways... Here are the Movies -

1 Prisoner of Azkaban (Wonderful Direction, Cinematography and Acting, probably the closest any HP movie came to being an Oscar nominee)

2 Deathly Hallows 2

3 Deathly Hallows 1

4 Goblet Of Fire

5 Chamber of Secrets

6 Sorcerers Stone

7 Half Blood Prince

8 Order of the Pheonix(not because it was very bad but because the book was so good)

Edited by Infernus

Books:

1. Deathly Hollows

2. Order of the Phoenix

3. Goblet of Fire

4. Prisoner of Azkaban

5. Half-Blood Prince

6. Chamber of Secrets 

7. Philisophers's Stone

Movies:

1. Deathly Hollows Part 2

2. Order of the Phoenix

3. Goblet of Fire

4. Prisoner of Azkaban

5. Deathly Hollows Part 1

6. Chamber of Secrets

7. Half-Blood Prince

8. Sorcerer's Stone 

Movies no. 5, 6, 7 could change places depending on my mood.