lab276

Rank the Books and the Films

• Founder / Operator

Books:1) DH2) POA3) OOTP4) HBP5) TSS6) GOF7) COSFilms:1) DH1/22) POA3) GOF4) TSS5) COS6) HBP7) OOTPQuite a drastic change on the films for me since DH2 came out. It will always shift around as my mood changes. TSS and COS tend to gain better ranks during this time of year as it always reminds me of being in high school when they came out. Nostalgia. In six month, it could be completely different.

Count me as another one whose order shifts around a bit with my mood, but here's where things stand for me at the moment:

Books

1. Prisoner of Azkaban

2. Sorcerer's Stone/Philosopher's Stone

3. Half-Blood Prince

4. Goblet of Fire

5. Order of the Phoenix

6. Chamber of Secrets

7. Deathly Hallows

Movies

1. Sorcerer's Stone/Philosopher's Stone

2. Goblet of Fire

3. Deathly Hallows 1

4. Chamber of Secrets

5. Deathly Hallows 2

6. Prisoner of Azkaban

7. Order of the Phoenix

8. Half-Blood Prince

Edited by Chrestomanci

Books:1. The Deathly Hallows2. Order of the Phoenix3. Goblet of Fire4. Half-Blood Prince5. The Sorcerer's Stone6. Prisoner of Azkaban7. Chamber of SecretsFilms:1. Deathly Hallows Part 22. Goblet of Fire3. Deathly Hallows Part 14. The Sorcerer's Stone5. Order of The Phoenix6. Chamber of Secrets7. Prisoner of Azkaban8. Half-Blood Prince

Very strange list.

:lol:

I guess we all have our own tastes. I didn't want to load the previous post down too much with explanation, but here are some of my thoughts which might help make it more understandable. (I'm putting everything behind spoiler tags, mostly to keep the post from taking up way too much room.)

Books

Prisoner of Azkaban

Prisoner of Azkaban is easily my favorite book in the series. Snape, Lupin and Sirius are my favorite characters and this is the book which properly introduces two of the three and gives us our first real look at their shared history. (It's also the book which gives us the most Lupin, period.) And I enjoy the change of pace of not having some kind of face off with Voldemort at the end of the book, which 5 of the 7 books have in some form or another. (The other one which doesn't is HBP and that's also part of why I rank that book highly.) Voldemort is hugely important to the series of course, but I like that in this book it's really just the shadow of his past and possibly future actions hanging over things without his actually being there at all. Throw in some fairly well-handled time travel and you end up with what is for me the most enjoyable read.

Sorcerer's Stone/Philosopher's Stone

Ahh, the book which began it all. Not the strongest story, to be sure, and the obstacle course the teachers make to guard the stone, which can be fairly easily overcome by three first years, is just silly if you think too hard about it (and there are a few other things which don't hold up too well in the face of closer scrutiny and/or later developments in the series). But the world-building is wonderful and I love getting to know the characters from the beginning all over again.

Half-Blood Prince

As I noted in the PoA comment, I enjoy that HBP is one of only two books in the series that doesn't end up in a direct Harry-Voldemort face-off. Voldemort is much more present here than in PoA, in the form of the flashbacks, but I like that those deepen Voldemort's character somewhat. But it is, unsurprisingly, the Snape part of the story that can occasionally push this book above SS/PS for me. Spinner's End is just a terrific scene. I love the detail of the deliberate parallels between the way J.K. Rowling describes Harry when he's force-feeding Dumbledore the potion and the way she describes Snape after Dumbledore says "Severus, please . . ." And then there's the Prince's book itself and Harry's growing affection for its author leading up to their confrontation and the big reveal in Flight of the Prince.

On the other hand, there's definitely way too much snogging and the whole Tonks/Lupin relationship was, apart from perhaps the Deathly Hallows themselves, one of the worst set-up storylines in the entire series. (My guess is that she didn't decide on it until after OotP was pubished so she never got the chance to plant any clues. We know she originally intended to kill of Arthur and she's talked about Tonks and Lupin's deaths being in exchange for his survival. My guess is that forcing them into a relationship was part of that exchange.) I also find some of Harry's stupidity in this book a bit hard to forgive or ignore -- who in their right mind could think that the best way to get Slughorn to reveal the memory would be to act like Tom Riddle???

Goblet of Fire

I feel curiously neutral when it comes to GoF the book. There's not alot about it that jumps out at me as strongly positive or negative. We do get the reveal that Snape was a Death Eater, of course, and we get to see a bit more of Sirius. So that's fun. But Voldemort re-gaining a body . . . well, it never really excited me especially and since I don't deal so well with gore, the regeneration scene is definitely not one that I enjoy reading. While the tournament itself is vaguely interesting, it does seem like there would have been significantly easier ways for Barty Crouch jr. to get Harry to Voldemort and there was never really any satisfactory explanation for why Harry had to actually compete -- what would have happened if he'd just sat on the sidelines?

Order of the Phoenix

Order of the Phoenix vs. Chamber of Secrets was the hardest ranking decision for me and I went back and forth on it alot. CoS is another book I feel fairly neutral about, while OotP, like HBP, has both things I love and things that I hate, though the balance is far less favorably weighted than for HBP. On the plus side, we get to see alot of Sirius and a fair bit of Lupin (after his absence in GoF) and we get alot more of the history between Snape and the Marauders, plus we finally get to see more of Lily than just hearing her death, thanks to Snape's Worst Memory. Really, this is the strongest book for that set of characters, the group that I find most interesting, apart from PoA. But then there's Umbridge who just makes me incredibly angry -- which may be the sign of a well-written character, since that's how she makes our heroes feel too, but it does make the book painful to read -- and all the stuff about Grawp which is either annoying or boring depending on my mood.

And I also have a problem with the premise in this one. I can certainly understand why Voldemort would want to hear the full prophecy, but why on earth does it matter so much to the Order whether or not he hears it? Seriously, he's already done the damage by marking Harry as his equal, so its not as if he could take that back and as to "he will have a power the Dark Lord knows not," it would probably just drive him nuts trying to figure it out. I've come up with a couple of explanations, but I don't really find them satisfactory.

Chamber of Secrets

I really don't have much to say about CoS. It feels to me like the book in which the least happens to drive the overall story forward. Of course, in hindsight, the fact that this is where the first horcrux is destroyed is quite important and the conversation between Harry and Dumbledore at the end hints quite strongly at Harry being a horcrux himself. But that still isn't really enough to keep the book from being a bit boring.

Deathly Hallows

While I may have some issues with the other books, they're nothing compared to the way I feel about Deathly Hallows. Yes, The Prince's Tale is pretty much all I could have hoped it would be, but there's very little else that I like about the book at all. There are the usual complaints about the camping, of course. I also feel like Lupin is totally out of character in this book. And then there are the hallows . . . I think I might have been more okay with them if she'd done more to start setting them up in the earlier books, but as it stands, it comes across to me as if she got desperate to find a way to have Harry not only survive two more direct encounters with Voldemort but actually be able to beat him. All the business with the Elder wand and who it obeys just feels very deus ex machina to me. The LotR/Star Wars sort of solution where ultimately it's another character, which in this case would pretty much have to have been Snape, whose actions finally (whether deliberately or accidentally) destroy the main villain feels like a much more natural fit. Something more original would be fine too, but this just felt like too much of a deliberate manipulation on the part of the author.

Movies

Sorcerer's Stone/Philosopher's Stone

I know it's gone out of fashion to like the first movie so much, but it really is still my favorite. As with the books, I give the first movie alot of credit for establishing the world, which in this case includes assembling a phenomenal cast that was willing to stick with the series throughout and kids who were mostly able to mature and grow with their roles. Sure, the kids' acting isn't incredible here, but I still think they did very well as child actors go and I doubt any other kids would have done much better. It's true that the tone of the Christopher Columbus movies is very different from the later movies in the series, but I think it works very well for the early movies and it's not as if the tone of the books doesn't shift as well as the series goes on. I also still appreciate that the first movie managed to retain almost everything of importance from the book and still, IMO, work very well as a movie. (Sure I miss Snape's logic test, and it does beg the question of what precisely Snape was doing to help guard the stone, but clearly that's a scene that works better on the page than it would on the screen.)

Goblet of Fire

It's actually difficult for me to say why I rank GoF the movie as high as I do, but something about it resonates with me. I guess, somehow, it may actually be the movie that

feels most like the book to me, despite some significant changes/omissions and some false notes (angry Dumbledore being the most obvious one, but also Hagrid stabbing Flitwick accidentally and Madame Maxime eating something out of Hagrid's beard). I do feel that of the up until DH1, GoF was the movie which handled its major death best -- while I find Dumbledore and Sirius's deaths significantly more moving in the books, of the three it's Cedric's death (or at least the aftermath, when Harry gets him back to Hogwarts and Dumbledore's speech near the end) that tends to get me crying when I watch the movies (and no, I am not a huge fan of Robert Pattinson, so it's nothing to do with the actor). I do like the added scene between Dumbledore, Snape and McGonagall where they're discussing whether or not to keep Harry from competing in the tournament, since at least it implies that there is a choice (the fact that there's no real explanation for why he absolutely has to actually try to win is one of the things that irks me about the book). And I also like the added dance lesson scene, especially as it blends into the trying to get a date sequence.

Deathly Hallows 1

This is the one case where I actually like the movie significantly better than the book (or at least the portion of the book) on which it's based. (I do also like CoS and DH2 slightly better than the books, I think, but the margin is much, much narrower.) I think the movie was really beautifully done. I loved seeing the silver doe. The camping scenes seem to drag less and it removes the scene with Lupin that I find so irksome in the book (though on the downside that means less Lupin). I do still have some issues with it, though. For instance, since they didn't introduce Sirius's mirror in the earlier movies, there's no explanation whatsoever for why this shard does what it does. They also don't explain the taboo at all, so there's no explanation for why Harry, who's always called Voldemort by his name, is suddenly calling him You-Know-Who (which I'm pretty sure he does at least once) or why the Death Eaters suddenly turn up at the Lovegoods' house. And then do they really have bad enough luck that they apparate right into the middle of a gang of snatchers? That just seems too coincidental to me. I also still don't like the dance scene and see no reason whatsoever why Horcrux-Harry and -Hermione should be naked. So while I like the movie alot, I can't quite put it up there with SS/PS and GoF.

Chamber of Secrets

Even as a movie, I find the story in CoS a little boring. And Christopher Columbus did make a couple of choices that I find somewhat annoying, even if I understand why he made them. (In particular, that we hear Harry speaking parseltongue during the dueling club scene, instead of hearing what he thinks he's saying, and that we hear Harry and Ron's voices coming out of Goyle and Crabbe during the polyjuice scene. The latter is especially problematic because it causes inconsistencies for GoF, since it would never have made sense to have Brendan Gleason talk with David Tennant's voice for an entire movie.) But again, I like that it works as a movie with very little of significance cut from the book. And it's so much fun watching Kenneth Branagh as Lockhart that this is still one of the movies I get the most enjoyment from.

Deathly Hallows 2

Deathly Hallows 2 has both some of the best moments in the entire series, but also has some truly terrible ones. On the plus side, the raising of the magical shield over Hogwarts and the music that goes with it are just gorgeous. I love McGonagall's line about always wanting to try the spell that raises the statues. And while if I think too hard about it I have some minor quibbles with the way they handled The Prince's Tale (which is the most important part of the entire series to me), I nevertheless think it was extremely well done and am always in tears from the time we first approach the boathouse through to Harry's confrontation with Voldemort in the forest. On the other hand, the movie still suffers from that nonsense with the Elder wand, which I don't hold against the movie as much as the book, since there wasn't alot they could do about it, but it still annoys me. And then there a few things I can't stand which were added just for the movie -- off the top of my head, there's the romantic pairing off of Luna and Neville and the ridiculous Harry/Voldemort falling/jumping off the tower, which was just as bad in the movie as it was in the trailer, if not worse.

Prisoner of Azkaban

Prisoner of Azkaban is the movie that I most want to like better than I do, but just can't. I love the book of course, but I feel like the movie, with its focus on Harry as much as it is, loses more than it needs to of the Marauders and Snape backstory, which is both important to me personally and important to the rest of the series. As I recall, the movie never goes into why Sirius, James, and Peter Pettigrew became animagi; in fact, I'm not even sure it specifies that James was an animagus at all, let alone that he became a stag. Certainly it never specifies that the names on the map are nicknames for the four friends (problematic since Peter Pettigrew spends the next four movies being referred to as Wormtail) or why Harry's patronus is a stag. It's not that I want them to get every detail of exposition that's in the book into the movie, but even just having Harry say "Prongs," when the patronus canters back to him would have been something.

While I can understand the reasoning behind the added scene with the candy and the animal noises, I don't think it really works or adds anything. The shrunken heads and the toad chorus just seem unnecessary and irritate me badly, as does the device of showing the whomping willow killing birds as the season changes. I think the scene where Harry's crying after finding out that Sirius betrayed his parents is the worst acting Daniel Radcliffe did in the entire series, though I blame the director more than the actor in this case, since I think there may have been ways to work around it (e.g., have him furious the whole time, he wasn't great at that either at this stage, but it was better than his crying). I actually like Michael Gambon's Dumbledore here probably better than anywhere else in the series (I think they got a side of Dumbledore here that is genuinely present in the books, though they also lost some of the qualities that Richard Harris was better at portraying), but they gave him a few ridiculous new-agey lines that make me groan every time. Then there's Harry's "I'm the King of the world," moment flying on Buckbeak, the inane (I believe improvised) dialogue about the Fat Lady's singing, the random black kid who was stuck in there for no apparent reason to badly deliver lines which should either have belonged to other real characters or been cut out entirely, the unnecessary complete makeover of Flitwick (yes, I know he's "not supposed to be Flitwick," but keeping Warwick Davis as a teacher at Hogwarts who isn't Flitwick is at least equally stupid), the ridiculous freezeframe at the end, etc.

Order of the Phoenix

I go back and forth alot as to whether OotP should rank above PoA or not; I think they come out roughly equal. I enjoy the underlying story of OotP less, but there are also perhaps slightly fewer things that annoy me about the movie. In fact, I really like about 90% of the movie quite alot, enough that if it weren't for the other 10% it would probably rank up there with CoS and DH1. I think Imelda Staunton is as perfect as Umbridge as Kenneth Branagh was as Lockhart, and apart from a few minor quibbles and two major-ish ones, I really quite like the movie up until the rescue mission at the Ministry. The two major quibbles are the loss of Lily from Snape's Worst Memory and the fact that by not getting McGonagall out of Hogwarts before Harry has his vision of Sirius at the Ministry, there's absolutely no way that Hermione would not suggest going to McGonagall before she agreed to break into Umbridge's study. (Even in the book, with McGonagall out of the way at that point, I have some trouble with the fact that Hermione doesn't even suggest going to Snape.) Among the minor quibbles is Sirius's mirror. I can certainly understand why they would cut it here, but given its importance later on, it needed to be explained somewhere.

But once they get to the Ministry, things start to fall apart for me. First of all, I find Helena Bonham Carter's Bellatrix just too over the top crazy. I don't know if she toned it down in the later movies or if I got used to it, but I always find it problematic in OotP. Then Sirius's death just falls flat for me, though I'm not sure why. And then it gets really bad. As awful as I find Harry's crying scene in PoA, the posession scene in OotP is even harder to take. This time I don't think it's an acting problem as much as a script problem -- his line to Voldemort here always reminds me of the little girl's line in Hook where she says "he's just a mean old man without a Mommy." I get that its difficult to translate what is a very internal moment in the book into something that works on screen, but it's just so treacly. Finally, the last scene on the way to the train station should have been cut completely, IMO. The scene with Luna and the shoes would have been a very nice way to end the movie. Instead we get stuck with what strikes me as a tone deaf line about having something worth fighting for (of course, Voldemort also thinks that he has something worth fighting for).

Half-Blood Prince

I hate the movie of HBP. Okay, that's probably a bit too strong, but it is easily my least favorite of the movies. I know alot of people blame Bonnie Wright for the Harry-Ginny relationship not working so well on screen; personally, I put more of the blame at the feet of whatever idiot decided it would be romantic to have her tying his shoe or trying to force-feed him. The attack on the Burrow was not only completely unnecessary, but also took away some of the impact from the attack at the wedding in the next movie. Tom Riddle's history gets seriously short-changed (some of which I can understand, since obviously the movie couldn't support showing as many memories as the book could, but still . . .) and they barely talk about the horcruxes at all (and therefore have to resort to Harry hearing the horcruxes in the next movies -- never mind that the diary in CoS never chittered at him). They also don't do enough to establish Harry's relationship with the Prince, which I get is another thing that might be hard to translate to the screen, but it is important; without it, the "big reveal" as Snape flees falls totally flat, IMO. (I don't quite remember, but I'm pretty sure they also cut "DON'T CALL ME COWARD," which was also a huge part of the power of Flight of the Prince in the book.) And since I also felt that Dumbledore's death and its aftermath fell flat, the entire ending of the movie just kind of sits there doing nothing for me. Basically, of the major storylines in the book -- the Harry/Ginny relationship, the Harry/Prince relationship and Tom Riddle's history/the introduction of the horcruxes -- the movie doesn't even begin to do justice to a single one of them.

Edited by Chrestomanci

Books:1. Deathly Hallows2. Half-Blood Prince3. Order of the Phoenix4. Goblet of Fire5. Prisoner of Azkaban6. Chamber of Secrets7. Sorcerer's StoneThat's right. They get progressively better.Movies:TIE. Deathly Hallows Part 1TIE. Deathly Hallows Part 23. Order of the Phoenix4. Half-Blood Prince5. Prisoner of Azkaban6. Sorcerer's Stone7. Chamber of Secrets8. Goblet of Fire

Movies:

1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 - A+

This movie is splendid. I watched it today for the first time since I saw it in theaters thirteen months ago, and it was just as powerful as it was then. It leaves me with such a hollow feeling. So many touching scenes and character moments are piled in, and the pacing is excellent. The cinematography is breathtaking. The special effects are superb and perhaps the best of the series. And the sense of impending doom and of chaos is thrilling. Furthermore, the acting is incredible, with Watson dominating. The humor is suprising here, especially in the Ministry Infiltration. A superb adventure unlike any Harry Potter film.

2. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 - A+

Not only is it the most action-packed and thrilling of the movies, but also it features some of the most powerful scenes and acting, with Radcliffe finally filling out Harry's shoes quite exceptionally. Fiennes and Rickman dominate their scenes; Rickman delivers the finest performance of the series. "The Prince's Tale" is the greatest singular scene in the whole film series; it brings me to tears. It's a wonderful ending to the event series of a generation.

3. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - A+

In a word, breathtaking. The effects are stunning. Alfonso Cuaron is the greatest director to helm a Potter movie, and the results are obvious. It's a tremendous shift from the more safely-played first two movies, and it's here that the sense of darkness and maturity that radiates from later works in the series begins to make a presence. Also, this film has the greatest score in the series.

4. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - A-

It's astoundingly beautiful. New set pieces, divine cinematography, and astounding visuals; it's like a piece of art. And the acting has definitely improved, with Watson delivering her finest performance hitherto (although she trumps it handily in later films), and Gambon finally perfecting his role as Albus Dumbledore. "Felix Felices" is one of the most uproariously hilarious moments of the series, and the cave scene is one of the most chilling and perfectly handled.

5. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - A-

It's exciting and dark, something new for the series. After Azkaban, it was obvious the series was heading in a darker direction, and Goblet of Fire cemented that, especially with its amazing climax, which features the return of Lord Voldemort and the death of Cedric Diggory (the first "good guy" to die in the series). A change of pace, and an enthralling and magical entry in the series.

These bottom three are interchangeable now:

6. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - B+

It's too rushed, and the Dumbledore's Army scenes are irritating, but otherwise it's a rather decent and at times great film. The Ministry of Magic battle isn't handled anywhere near as well as it is in the book, but I am impressed by the Dumbledore v Voldemort duel, which is exciting and visually awing. Sirius's death and aftermath is horribly mistreaten, and Grawp's inclusion is a nuissance that should have been avoided.

7. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - B+

No other Potter film reaches the sense of magic prevalent in this. It's the most child-friendly film of the series, but watching it really makes me feel nostalgic for those early, early years at Hogwarts. Nothing compares to the first shot of Hogwarts, and "Hedwig's Theme" epitomizes the sense of magical wonder awaiting the characters as they embark on a journey like no other. Watching the series from start to finish, you find yourself stunned by the level of friendliness and enchantment prevalent here, long before the series matures and darkens.

8. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - B+

This is on par with Sorcerer's Stone; it doesn't change much or mature any, and it maintains the sense of magical wonder from the first movie. The plot seems a bit darker this time around, with a mysterious monster prowling the castle and petrifying unsuspecting victims. It's every bit as magical as the first and still enjoyable to behold.

And the books:

1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

2. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

3. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

4. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

5. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

6. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

7. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Books:1. Goblet of Fire: A+ (my favorite fantasy book of all time, flawless)2. Prisoner of Azkaban: A+3. Deathly Hallows: A4. Chamber of Secrets: A (this one always seems to get overlooked, imo)5. Half Blood Prince: A6. Order of the Phoenix: B+ (Chop off 300 pages of mind numbing filler and it could be an A+)7. Sorcerer's Stone: B+Movies:1. DH2: A2. DH1: A-3. PoA: B+4. HBP: B5. OotP: B-6. SS: B-7. CoS: B-8. GoF: D+ (butchered the book, among various other problems)

Edited by MovieMan89

Books

1. Deathly Hallows - A+

2. Goblet of Fire - A

3. Half Blood Prince - A

4. Prisoner of Azkaban - A

5. Order of the Phoenix - B+

6. Sorcerer's Stone - B+

7. Chamber of Secrets - B+

Movies

1. Prisoner of Azkaban - A

2. Deathly Hallows Part 1 - A

3. Goblet of Fire - B+

4. Half Blood Prince - B+

5. Sorcerer's Stone - B

6. Chamber of Secrets - B

7. Deathly Hallows Part 2 - C+

8. Order of the Phoenix - D

It boggles my mind to see anyone have CoS/GoF over DH2. Really makes no sense to me.

I find COS to be the most underrated HP film. It was probably too faithful of an adaption, but i remember as a kid I fell in love with it and nearly ten years later it's still a cute film. DH2 had more potential than any other HP film and I had huge expectations after the amazing Part 1...and it fell short IMO. I even had a few problems with the princes tale....not a popular opinion i know. And what are you talking about? GOF was a great film! It's the third highest rated film of the series on RT and was the first HP film to sell more tickets than the previous instalment. Edited by Mr Potter

David Yates was the worst thing that happened to the HP series #FACTI can't rank the booksMoviesHBP A+how the worst story have the best movie? HOW?GOF Asuch a fun moviePOA A-the same case of HBPDH2 A-the movie with more wasted potential of the whole saga. BLAME: DAVID YATES. I can only imagine if were Alfonso Cuaron with John Williams in the score. :wub:OOTP B+is the most ugliest and poor directed movie of the franchise , how a great story like that becomes so annoying?. BLAME: ONLY DAVID YATES AND PERHAPES de ScreenwriterDH1 BLike OOTP, this movie isn't very good looking and the story feels like a filler, but is interesting enough. BLAME: DAVID YATESCOS Blike the first but with a better story (and direction). The problem is the runtime, is dragged a bit...SS BThe most magical movie of all-time, some minor flawsStory:1. DH22. OOTP3. GOFDirection:1. POA2. HBP3. GOFSoundtrack:1. POA2. SS3. GOFActing:1. DH22. DH13. HBPVisuals:1. HBP2. POA3. COS

Edited by Goffe Rises

Books

[*]Deathly Hallows A+

[*]HBP A+

[*]POA A

[*]SS A-

[*]GOF B+

[*]COS B+

[*]OOTP B

Movies

[*]DH1 A+

[*]POA A+

[*]HBP B+

[*]DH2 B+

[*]GOF B/B+

[*]COS B-

[*]SS (Right now its a B-. It can be an A depending on my mood)

[*]OOTP (worse of the series. C-/C)