filmlover

Call Me by Your Name | Sony Pictures Classics | 11/24/2017 in NY and LA

Just now, BoxOfficeChica said:

So I read that Timothee and Armie's characters are supposed to be 17 and 24, they're in Italy so it's legal I guess, but Hammer looks about 30, I see thinkpieces and counterattacks on the horizon as Oscar season unfolds...

Meanwhile, nobody bats an eyelash at how all of Tom Cruise's movie love interests are decades younger than him. Eh.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, filmlover said:

Meanwhile, nobody bats an eyelash at how all of Tom Cruise's movie love interests are decades younger than him. Eh.

Does Tom even have sex in any of his movies now, with all the saving the world, and running while saving the world? He may be old enough to be the father of his leading ladies now but they are still far from high school age.

It's the 17 part,  especially when Armie is obviously not nearly that youthful in appearance. I know a couple of 2010s book-to-TV adaptations that bumped up teen characters involved in (hetero) sexual situations to 18, even if no laws were broken in the story's setting. You can never totally predict what "controversies" will spring up around a movie come awards season, I mean, La La Land being fascist takes the cake, but Americans in 2017 taking issue with a 17 year old character in sexual scenes with an adult is entirely predictable. Obviously some people won't care, some will say any backlash is homophobia, but I don't think it's entirely that, in this decade R-rated teen movies have really fallen out of favor at the box office, especially ones that delve into sex in any way, even the critically acclaimed movies flop. Though this isn't really a teen movie so...

2 hours ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

Does Tom even have sex in any of his movies now, with all the saving the world, and running while saving the world? He may be old enough to be the father of his leading ladies now but they are still far from high school age.

It's the 17 part,  especially when Armie is obviously not nearly that youthful in appearance. I know a couple of 2010s book-to-TV adaptations that bumped up teen characters involved in (hetero) sexual situations to 18, even if no laws were broken in the story's setting. You can never totally predict what "controversies" will spring up around a movie come awards season, I mean, La La Land being fascist takes the cake, but Americans in 2017 taking issue with a 17 year old character in sexual scenes with an adult is entirely predictable. Obviously some people won't care, some will say any backlash is homophobia, but I don't think it's entirely that, in this decade R-rated teen movies have really fallen out of favor at the box office, especially ones that delve into sex in any way, even the critically acclaimed movies flop. Though this isn't really a teen movie so...

Yeah, that's the one thing that bothers me about the movie. I don't know the age of consent in other countries, but it still makes me slightly uncomfortable to see a movie with a teen and an adult in a relationship. I prefer Hammer to Shia, but at least he looks like a 24-year old and would make the movie a little less creepy than 28-year old Hammer, who looks like he's in his 30s.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

Yeah, that's the one thing that bothers me about the movie. I don't know the age of consent in other countries, but it still makes me slightly uncomfortable to see a movie with a teen and an adult in a relationship. I prefer Hammer to Shia, but at least he looks like a 24-year old and would make the movie a little less creepy than 28-year old Hammer, who looks like he's in his 30s.

Timothee is also 21.  Hammer looks a bit too mature for this but everything about Shia is creepy and no he doesn't look 24 - nor is cinematically he the kind of man someone is going to fantasize about for their first love and sexual experience. 

As for it being legal in Italy - it's legal in most of the US.  Age of consent -

Blue = 16

Olive Green = 17

Light Green-= 18

959px-Ages_of_Consent_-_United_States.sv

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Timothee is also 21.  Hammer looks a bit too mature for this but everything about Shia is creepy and no he doesn't look 24 - nor is cinematically he the kind of man someone is going to fantasize about for their first love and sexual experience. 

As for it being legal in Italy - it's legal in most of the US.  Age of consent -

Blue = 16

Olive Green = 17

Light Green-= 18

I guess I kinda see where you're coming from. I'm still not completely gung-ho, but I might be a little bit premature on what I'm saying.

33 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Hammer is 30 in real life.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Blue = 16

Olive Green = 17

Light Green-= 18

Shia five or six years ago would have worked, though from comments of people who've read the book it sounds like maybe he wouldn't have been hot enough, for their imaginations anyway. 

Not sure I even want to know why there's a color coded map about the age of consent or why Texas is in gray???

Edited by BoxOfficeChica

1 minute ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

Shia five or six years ago would have worked, though from comments of people who've read the book it sounds like maybe he wouldn't have been hot enough, for their imaginations anyway. 

Not sure I even want to know who makes up a color coded map about consent or why Texas is in gray???

It's from Wikipedia they have color coded maps for everything.   Texas is "special".

The character in the book looks like a walking Greek statue, so yeah - no to Shia.

• Like 1

Even if Shia's personal life wasn't a complete mess, he would've seemed grossly miscast in that part. Hammer may not be the world's greatest thespian but he certainly has that classically handsome and charismatic thing going for him that makes him ideal for "the perfect guy" roles such as this.

2 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

Age of consent in Italy is 14, 14 also for China and Germany and a whole bunch of other countries. When it comes to age of consent laws around the world, the norm is 14-16, AOC at 18 is actually not common, and found mostly in Africa,middle-eastern and south Asia countries, and a few states in the US, as can be seen in the map in this wikipedia article.

A 17 year old and 24 years old having a relationship should not really be a problem anywhere, and I don't think there should be anything morally reprehensible about it. The problems (especially on YouTube) that people seem to have with the trailer stem from modern pedophilia paranoia (a fairly recent phenomenon), where people  who don't understand what pedophilia is (sexual attraction to pre-pubescent children) get panic when they see any relationships that deems "questionable" and start to abuse the term. What is even more ridiculous is that the actor pretending to be 17 here is actually already 21, yet a lot of people on YouTube find this unbearable because apparently he "looks 15".

Will this movie get unwarranted backlash because of this? Not sure, I guess we'll see. Personally, this is one of my most anticipated of the year.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 1

I wish that all these films about people fantasizing with a first love kind of deal would mix it up a little with the whole "Greeh god" thing. Sure, it makes sense because in real life, lots of people fantasize with all these stereotypical, socially constructed/sanctioned ideals of beauty. And yeah, fantasy is pretty much about idealizing and over-idealizing. But damn... Many people also fantasize about people who are far from the classically constructed idea of "beauty." Not only do I find Shia much, much much hotter than blandboy Hammer, but when I was a teen, my fantasy crushes were never people like Luke Perry or Leo DiCaprio, but more along the Seth Greens and Breckin Meyers of the world. It can happen. :P 

I hope this is like most gay narratives where the main character meets this random guy starts to question his sexuality but before say it to anyone he has sex with that guy. They start to date and try to hide from their families and one of them dies.

5 minutes ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

I hope this is like most gay narratives where the main character meets this random guy starts to question his sexuality but before say it to anyone he has sex with that guy. They start to date and try to hide from their families and one of them dies.

If this film is like the book, you are in for a surprise. You will never eat the peach same way after watching this movie.