filmlover

Call Me by Your Name | Sony Pictures Classics | 11/24/2017 in NY and LA

9 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Timothee is also 21.  Hammer looks a bit too mature for this but everything about Shia is creepy and no he doesn't look 24 - nor is cinematically he the kind of man someone is going to fantasize about for their first love and sexual experience. 

As for it being legal in Italy - it's legal in most of the US.  Age of consent -

Blue = 16

Olive Green = 17

Light Green-= 18

959px-Ages_of_Consent_-_United_States.sv

Not entirely accurate. In some states where the age of consent is under 18, that's solely for when the other party is under 21.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, filmlover said:

No.

If you really believe that a European arthouse movie about a twenty something guy (played by a guy who appears way older) grooming a boy who is seventeen is not going to receive intense pushback, then I really have no idea what to tell you.                                                                                

Edited by PenguinHyphy
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Not entirely accurate. In some states where the age of consent is under 18, that's solely for when the other party is under 21.

Yes, but not most and there are also states where it's also legal if under the age restriction depending on the age of the partner (ie: Arkansas - Legal at 14 if the older party is 18 and under.  Legal under 12 if there's a 3 year age difference (yikes) or Colorado -  legal at 15 if the older person is within 10 years).  Also restrictions depending on position of authority, incest and lower ages in case of marriage. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

If you really believe that a European arthouse movie about a twenty something guy (played by a guy who appears way older) grooming a boy who is seventeen is not going to receive intense pushback, then I really have no idea what to tell you.                                                                                

There was a movie out a couple of years ago - Diary of a Teenage Girl - where the 15 year old daughter gets involved with one of her mother's lovers - played by then in his ate 30s Alexander Skarsgard.  If it had received more publicity and any Awards attention guess there wasn't any discernible push-back because it wasn't on the Awards circuit.  Then again An Education had a 16/17 female lead played by Carey Mulligan with a mid 30s Peter Saarsgard and received awards attention without much blow back

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

It's possible that Call Me by Your name could become greeted with controversy (then again, most major Oscar players are these days; even Moonlight got criticized for being "not gay enough") but it won't be "this year's Birth of a Nation" (which was a rare occurrence where a movie was sunk entirely by its creator's foolishness and nothing to do with the movie itself).

7 hours ago, Cochofles said:

I wish that all these films about people fantasizing with a first love kind of deal would mix it up a little with the whole "Greeh god" thing. Sure, it makes sense because in real life, lots of people fantasize with all these stereotypical, socially constructed/sanctioned ideals of beauty. And yeah, fantasy is pretty much about idealizing and over-idealizing. But damn... Many people also fantasize about people who are far from the classically constructed idea of "beauty." Not only do I find Shia much, much much hotter than blandboy Hammer, but when I was a teen, my fantasy crushes were never people like Luke Perry or Leo DiCaprio, but more along the Seth Greens and Breckin Meyers of the world. It can happen. :P 

Seth Green over young Leo!!!!! You're weird :P

31 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

There was a movie out a couple of years ago - Diary of a Teenage Girl - where the 15 year old daughter gets involved with one of her mother's lovers - played by then in his ate 30s Alexander Skarsgard.  If it had received more publicity and any Awards attention guess there wasn't any discernible push-back because it wasn't on the Awards circuit.  Then again An Education had a 16/17 female lead played by Carey Mulligan with a mid 30s Peter Saarsgard and received awards attention without much blow back

I saw the first few minutes of Diary of a Teenage Girl and turned it off when she began putting guy's finger in her mouth. There is a reason why that movie was not pushed on the awards circuit as you stated. I have not seen An Education, but that movie was rated PG-13 from what I remember and was released when social media was still nascent. Call Me By Your Name apparently has a graphic sex scene, and the studio is trying to push it on the awards circuit. That really opens it up to criticism. The U.S. is pretty unanimously against teenagers being shown sexually in anyway, especially with a person who is an adult, whether fictionalized or not. The comments section to about every article that speaks about the movie's trailer shows that people are going to be uneasy with the movie when it hits the mainstream. 

• Like 2

I'm not necessarily fond of the idea or the standard of young women and older men who aren't enough for women their own age, but that storyline in particular is trite and played out.

I'm far more interested in the upcoming thinkpieces than the film itself. Movies aren't just for showing things that are morally pure, I wonder what it's gonna do...

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

It's possible that Call Me by Your name could become greeted with controversy (then again, most major Oscar players are these days; even Moonlight got criticized for being "not gay enough") but it won't be "this year's Birth of a Nation" (which was a rare occurrence where a movie was sunk entirely by its creator's foolishness and nothing to do with the movie itself).

A few internet think pieces or Tweets about a movie not being "gay enough" is not a controversy. Social media gives everyone a voice, so there are obviously going to be dissenting opinions. Controversy is when criticism taps into something bigger and way more reviled. The U.S. is generally really against the sexual exploration of minors. Those sentiments are pretty much common amongst people from all backgrounds. At the beginning of the year, that Milo guy, who was exalted by the right, managed to bring both parties together in a rare instance to ostracize him for arguing in favor of pederasty. What he was arguing actually is extremely similar to the movie's premise. If people are vehemently against even the thought of it, what makes you think that they are not going to be against it being depicted on screen? The fact that you can go on any Youtube video with the trailer or any article speaking about it and the highest comment is one speaking about how the movie is a pedophile's dream or how it makes the viewer extremely uneasy really says a ton about what will happen with the movie when it begins to be pushed to the mainstream. People are already going to be against it because it is a gay movie, so they will use that to justify not having to see or support it. Birth of a Nation was not simply about his background. People were not trying to see a slavery movie, so they used his background to justify not having to see or support the movie. If his background were the only reason, Mel Gibson and Hacksaw Ridge would have been shunned too. One CNN or Fox News segment about Call Me By Your Name and the controversy, and the movie will be done.           

4 hours ago, PenguinHyphy said:

The comments in response to the movie are pretty vitriolic. Pederasty is a no-go with American audiences. The movie is going to be this season's Birth of A Nation. 

I just learned a new word.

Unlike BOAN, this movie is never at any point deemed some kind of Oscar frontrunner anyway.

Too bad, because unlike BOAN, this movie might actually deserve front-runner status, if 98 MTC score, and 9.7 RT average score is any indication.

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

Birth of a Nation was going to sink anyway, a movie with a 69 MTC score was not going to have much award momentum anyway, not these days.

3 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Diary of a Teenage Girl was kind of a flop even by art house standards, IMO in part because of the teen/adult sex angle, and An Education is presented as a cautionary tale, not how awesome it is for schoolgirls to hook up with grown men.

2 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

I just learned a new word.

Unlike BOAN, this movie is never at any point deemed some kind of Oscar frontrunner anyway.

Too bad, because unlike BOAN, this movie might actually deserve front-runner status, if 98 MTC score, and 9.7 RT average score is any indication.

Ha, tell that to AwardsWatch!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

Diary of a Teenage Girl was kind of a flop even by art house standards, IMO in part because of the teen/adult sex angle, and An Education is presented as a cautionary tale, not how awesome it is for schoolgirls to hook up with grown men.

Really? I thought they would know better.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

Not really true, if the AOC is 16, that means it's mostly fair game above or at that age, with the exception of people in an authority position (teachers, guardians etc.)

I have never heard of such rules that says AOC at 16 and 17 only applies if the other party is under 21.

1 hour ago, Mr Impossible said:

We baby teenagers too much. I always thought age of consent should be 16. Most of the horniest people on the planet are like 14-18. 

It is 16 or even lower in most places around the world and most states in US. I think AOC at 18 is mostly a misconception.

I agree it's probably over-protection. Teenagers are unfairly prosecuted all the time because of AOC rules, I actually think that it's a form ageism if we outright say that teenagers under 18 can not consent, individuals are vastly different. 

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Eh, I lurk on AwardsWatch, and nobody is really saying this will win Best Picture. Wonderstruck was the film they went all out for, and that's going nowhere outside of a couple techs. 

What? they have not learned their lesson since Carol ? :P

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

Diary of a Teenage Girl  had a typical SPC run.  Regardless, these were still sexual relationships that were over twenty years apart with protagonists even younger than here - and not catching as much initial flack. 

There are quite a few films where there are relationships between late teen girls and early twenty something men and it's not presented as a big deal.  Just look at the Pirates films -  Keira was 17 (not just playing a teen but actually a teen) when she filmed the first Pirates. Bloom was 25 and Depp was 39 and the guy who payed Norrington was about 30 - and they were all positioned as viable romantic interests for her.  Hardly anyone batted an eye and not just because it was a period piece.

Yeah there will be more backlash than usual because of it's high profile and the romantic interest is the focus but mostly because it's about a homosexual relationship.  There's a reason when there was decriminalization of homosexuality that the age limit for sexual consent was often higher than for heterosexuals.  People were more concerned about young men being preyed upon by men than young women by men or believed that homosexuality was a phase to grow out of so they should protected longer.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1