filmlover

Call Me by Your Name | Sony Pictures Classics | 11/24/2017 in NY and LA

22 minutes ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

It would have played much better with audience and cast actors that do not look like such a age difference Hammer looks like he is at least 10 years older.

Which he is in real life, right? He's around 30 and the younger guy is around 21? Why not just make them their actual ages in the movie? 30 and 21. Nobody would be screaming pedophile stuff then. 

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 2

Timothee Chalamet is 21 but could easily be mistaken for a younger age, while Armie Hammer is 30 (playing 24) and looks his age. Issue to me seems to be that we're used to seeing teenagers portrayed by actors obviously in their 20s in movies.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

It amazes me that people take such issue with this, yet we have movies like the Saw movies, in which people, including young people, are tortured and murdered horribly.

I don't know, I have a much bigger problem watching that than a really young man and an older looking man caressing and being gay. Like really, think about it for a second.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JB33 said:

It amazes me that people take such issue with this, yet we have movies like the Saw movies, in which people, including young people, are tortured and murdered horribly.

I don't know, I have a much bigger problem watching that than a really young man and an older looking man caressing and being gay. Like really, think about it for a second.

Jigsaw doesn't seem real to people, a teen/adult sexual relationship does, plus the US has a weird streak of prudishness while simultaneously being fixated on sex. Sometimes America surprises me with its reactions but this is not one of those times.

The creative team behind CMBYN made the choice not to age up Elio, the defense so far seems to be that the age of consent is lower where they were, and anyway, anyone objecting is homophobic. I seriously hope SPC has a better strategy for dealing with this controversy than that. Interestingly in the weekend box office thread you have someone labelling Luc Besson a criminal because he complied with age of consent laws that the poster just thinks are too low. Maybe they are, but this was a heterosexual situation, I just think the, "CMBYN only bothers people because it's gay guys!" argument is reductive and dismissive, it plays a part but not the only one. IMO pretending that everyone is just hunky dory in the 2010s about onscreen pairings of under-18 girls and much older men, bringing up Tom Cruise and his costars or JLaw/Bale, like those are remotely the same thing as what's going on here, is presenting a skewed picture of reality.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

They could seriously could have gone with age 18 for protaganist and 20-21 for lover without affecting the story much.

Yeah, the weird age gap, if it's not in the story, just seems like an attempt to be edgy and edge on boundaries for the sake of it, because you have to push boundaries to be a good art movie.

I don't particularly like that I'm prejudging a movie, but the trailer plays like a stereotype of that art house movies critics rave and audiences hate.  A "Taboo" lovestory about a young white European boy the critics can identify with having a sexual awakening that ends with a sense of tragedy, yet plays in a way that you can plaster quotes like "A revelation about the tragic nature of life, love and the coming of age!"

But then again, I'm pre-judging it.  Maybe it'll be as good as the early critics are raving, but it's rubbing me as pretentious versus actually being organic and real like a movie like Moonlight was.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JB33 said:

I have never seen saw and I never will.  I think it would be distributing if it was a story about a 24 year male and a 17 female or vice versa.

My problem with this is someone who is gay this film can cause a lot of homophobia. A lot people believe homosexuality and pedophile equal the same thing.  There are lot of areas were homophobia this film will not help people that are homophobic.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, JB33 said:

GA Americans will have a problem because what you described is Statutory Rape in the US and could be felony depending on the ages.  I get the movie's not taking place in the US, and laws are different one Italy, but it won't stop it from rubbing people the wrong way (especially since there doesn't seem to be an issue made of the age gap in the trailer, maybe there is in the movie?)

I don't think your comparison is right either. This seems like playing a relationship that appears pedophilic in nature due to the ages and how the actors look, and really not acknowledging it (at least in the advert).  Saw is an unrealistic horror film franchise, that's playing everything that happens as messed up (and even then, the Saw movies aren't good).

Even then im mixed on how I feel about the trailer, I'm willing to give the movie a shot but the trailer definitely rubbed me the wrong way.

Just now, Dexter of Suburbia said:

I have never seen saw and I never will.  I think it would be distributing if it was a story about a 24 year male and a 17 female or vice versa.

My problem with this is someone who is gay this film can cause a lot of homophobia. A lot people believe homosexuality and pedophile equal the same thing.  There are lot of areas were homophobia this film will not help people that are homophobic.

I'm sure the only people who find this movie to be that are the same people who thought Brokeback Mountain was some grand statement about being gay back in late 2005/early 2006 (most of whom didn't even see it).

The movie is incredibly good and will do good platform release business and be right there in the Oscar discussion.  

The audience it is intended for will see and support it.  The people complaining will never have seen it anyways.  

• Like 8

I watched the trailer, thought it was fantastic. Then looked at the youtube commnets, almost always a mistake. Any claims of pedophilia is 100% homophobia. Homosexuals have been smeared as pedophiles incessantly up until about 10 years ago. In basic sexuality terms, what is depicted in this movie is a normal homosexual relationship between two consenting people. It is not depicted in any way to be paraphilia, abnormal or atypical sexual behavior. 

• Like 1

This probably needs some Oscar nominations to hit my area; Moonlight came in early December for two weeks and returned post-nominations and win. This only releases at the end of November. Hopefully it comes, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Edited by WrathOfHan

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

This probably needs some Oscar nominations to hit my area; Moonlight came in early December for two weeks and returned post-nominations and win. Hopefully it comes, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I'll be surprised if they don't give it a rather wide expansion after the nominations are announced. In fact, they'll most likely wait until then to really expand it beyond metropolitan areas to take maximum advantage of the buzz.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lestranger said:

I watched the trailer, thought it was fantastic. Then looked at the youtube commnets, almost always a mistake. Any claims of pedophilia is 100% homophobia. Homosexuals have been smeared as pedophiles incessantly up until about 10 years ago. In basic sexuality terms, what is depicted in this movie is a normal homosexual relationship between two consenting people. It is not depicted in any way to be paraphilia, abnormal or atypical sexual behavior. 

I am gay and I am in inlovlved in the LGBT community and I have problems the way the trailer is presented.  Everyone I knew who is gay does not date or fuck a 17 year old. 

• Thanks 1

Funny how the same people decrying the relationship in the film weren't also up-in-arms over An Education, which depicted a girl about to turn 17 in a romantic relationship with a man explicitly stated to be in his 30s. Perhaps the lack of controversy had something to do with, oh I don't know, the fact that they were straight?

2 hours ago, Webslinger said:

Funny how the same people decrying the relationship in the film weren't also up-in-arms over An Education, which depicted a girl about to turn 17 in a romantic relationship with a man explicitly stated to be in his 30s. Perhaps the lack of controversy had something to do with, oh I don't know, the fact that they were straight?

That movie was wierd. The movie could still work but it is just wierd. So you would be okay if a have a friend in  mid to late 20s and starting dating a 17 year old.  If you were a parent would not mind that 17 year is dating a 24 year or a 30 year old. 

CMBYN will be fine and garner a lot of awards attention.

As a massive fan of the book, coupled with the amazing reviews, this is a must watch for me.

There of course will be backlash, but mostly from people who were never going to watch it.

This is amazing. God bless the Internet. The original clip for reference:

Thanks to harassment and online trolls, Twitter can often seem like a miserable place, a black hole from which the worst of humanity has been distilled into 140 280 characters. But a single Twitter account glimmers in the distance, a tiny spot of light. And from that light: hope.

You see, for Tuesday’s National Coming Out Day, the Twitter account for the upcoming film Call Me By Your Name posted a clip of a party scene in which Armie Hammer dances like I do after my second glass of pinot. The video itself is a joy, especially to those of us who were left with confusing fantasies after seeing two Armies in The Social Network, but Twitter user @eriklehnshers came along to make it even better with the account @armiedancingto, dubbing the clip over with popular songs.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/10/12/armie-hammer-call-me-by-your-name-dance-twitter/

Ex:

• Like 4
  • Astonished 1