Alli

Weekend Thread. Dark Tower 19.5...Dunkirk 17.6....Emoji 12.3...Girls Trip 11.4 not sure what page| Not the sex thread

Not horrible but not great numbers. Dark Tower should do $16-$20 million this weekend, Detroit should make $8-$9 million which is bland but not surprising. And for Kidnap considering it's been delayed for 2 years now, that's not bad if it pulls of a 47 Meters Down opening and run it would be a small profit, but we"ll see. 

• Like 1

Another Valerian disappointment... At least it is relatively cheap but the difference here is that I think Valerian is probably a great movie(not out here yet) whereas The Dark Tower will probably be a somehow enjoyable but highly disappointing affair for me, sadly.

Meh

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Detroit has already become a topic for many negative think pieces. Between that, low box office, an early August release, and reviews that aren't strong enough to guarantee the critics will keep it in the conversation by the end of the year, it's pretty much a no-brainer that it'll fall out of the Oscar race.

• Like 2

Damn, really hoped Dark Tower would end up surprising for a 20M+ opening. I enjoyed the movie, didn't love it, but would have loved to have seen more from the series. Even the movie shows how there is so much potential for some great stories here that if the box office was nice enough, they would have the chance to get it right the second time.

Did our equivalent of 1.9M in previews at my theatre last night.

• Like 3

Just now, filmlover said:

Detroit has already become a topic for many negative think pieces. Between that, low box office, an early August release, and reviews that aren't strong enough to guarantee the critics will keep it in the conversation by the end of the year, it's pretty much a no-brainer that it'll fall out of the Oscar race.

Frankly... Detroit feels like the GA pushing back against Hollywood's lecturing them, in this case on race relations. 

They looked at Moonlight and everyone I've spoken to reacted with, "Really... THAT won instead of La La Land?!" which in itself was a response to the "Oscars So White" nonsense. Nonsense because they refused to acknowledge how something like 12 Years a Slave, a masterpiece acknowledged by every race from black, brown, white.. Hell even Tangerine (kidding... but you get my point), dominated at the Oscars the year before that.

Not saying Bigelow and her film were "talking down" to us dumb audiences. I haven't seen it and she's never been a filmmaker to do that. But it's just the perception that it is and the GA just said "Fuck you, you're not getting my money" and will instead opt for Dunkirk and/or Girls Trip.

Edited by filmnerdjamie
  • Like 1

Audience scores:

DT starts off at 64%. Very low starting point (especially for an existing fan-base movie), lower than Val (started high 60s and at low 50s right now).

Detroit starts off at 76%. Good score but low of awards targeting movies.