Alli

Weekend Thread. Dark Tower 19.5...Dunkirk 17.6....Emoji 12.3...Girls Trip 11.4 not sure what page| Not the sex thread

8 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

Most movies with this giant budget? Hmmm...

8 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Not when POTC grossed $605m overseas. But $171m by itself doesn't look great next to a $230m production budget (plus $50m marketing expense in domestic territories). 

But one has to consider how the studios plan such movies. They always knew it's OS potential was big. That's why they approve such budgets in the first place.

• Like 2

Just now, grim22 said:

2014 and 2016 Augusts were the best. Both were built around one big movie and there was another movie or two to provide support to that big movie. Hopefully Predator and Meg can both do 100M next year but I wouldn't count on it.

@BKB

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Malaise will end next weekend if there's a generic "all movie" Fandango or Atom code...people will head in for $5-8/ticket, even if they might see a sub-par-ish movie.  People don't want to pull the trigger for $10-$13+ for the same type of movie...

Happened in April when the online code fight went away then (and we wondered why was March so awesome and then April not)...it will happen again this August if the codes are gone for good til the holidays b/c non-event films plus full price tickets is not a winning combo for big numbers...

In North America, less than 20 percent of movie tickets are sold online and I would imagine a lot of those sells are for the big night of blockbuster when it can be hard to have a good seat when you buy the ticket just 5 minute in advance, for the type of movie playing this august can online promo have much of an effect ?

Or did it change recently, it was only 13% of the ticket sales in 2014 that were online.

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

2014 and 2016 Augusts were the best. Both were built around one big movie and there was another movie or two to provide support to that big movie. Hopefully Predator and Meg can both do 100M next year but I wouldn't count on it.

If Meg is as awful as I hear it is, no way in hell. 

• Like 1

I'm not so sure about Hitman's Bodyguard yet. Buzz feels pretty muted and I haven't seen it pop on Pulse yet (whereas I've seen Logan Lucky pop up a couple times). Obviously it's not the kind of film that will blow up presales but I could see a (disappointing to some) 15M weekend or so for it. It's still got 2 weeks tho, so there's obviously time to build.

• Like 1

Plus MI:6 should at least perform strong throughout the month.

• Like 1

Just now, DAJK said:

If Meg is as awful as I hear it is, no way in hell. 

It depends on how it is awful. No one is going to watch a "Jason Statham fights a shark" movie expecting anything other than awful. Is it fun awful, or just genuinely bad, will make all the difference.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, That Floating Guy said:

Annabelle and Hitman's Bodyguard both have chances to breakout, but yeah It is gonna fucking murder everything

Annabelle should do over $20-25m and think The Hitman's Bodyguard has a chance of cracking $20m as well. 

19 minutes ago, DAR said:

I'm sure it's happened before, but I can never remember a studio releasing two films back to back weekends.  And not something like Weinstein who just randomly throws movies out there.

If the films are different enough, releasing films back to back isn't unusual. The WB/New Line films in June 2016 were all different from each other, Me Before You was a romantic drama, Conjuring 2 was horror and Central Intelligence was a comedy plus in the case MBY and CI, both were co-productions with MGM and Universal respectively. 

• Like 1

Also holy I got the trailer for Only he Brave at Dark Tower. Ohmygod that looks awesome, and could hit a lot of people close to home especially in my province where tens of thousands of people have left their homes due to wildfires.

Really hope it's a wide release. Think it could have a solid 15/50 run

• Like 2

WB needs to release more shitty DCEU movies in August like SS.

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

In North America, less than 20 percent of movie tickets are sold online and I would imagine a lot of those sells are for the big night of blockbuster when it can be hard to have a good seat when you buy the ticket just 5 minute in advance, for the type of movie playing this august can online promo have much of an effect ?

Or did it change recently, it was only 13% of the ticket sales in 2014 that were online.

Its about 20-25% based on the last article about it I saw in 2016. Don't think promo codes, which probably account for less than that overall, will make all that much of a difference when the baseline numbers are this bad.

• Like 1

It depends on how it is awful. No one is going to watch a "Jason Statham fights a shark" movie expecting anything other than awful. Is it fun awful, or just genuinely bad, will make all the difference.

Genuinely bad. Hearing "Sharknado without the self awareness", and effects nearly as bad despite a budget many times the size.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 2

1 minute ago, nomyth said:

I'm not so sure about Hitman's Bodyguard yet. Buzz feels pretty muted and I haven't seen it pop on Pulse yet (whereas I've seen Logan Lucky pop up a couple times). Obviously it's not the kind of film that will blow up presales but I could see a (disappointing to some) 15M weekend or so for it. It's still got 2 weeks tho, so there's obviously time to build.

It's a non Deadpool Ryan Reynolds movie, I'm shocked so many think it's going to be a hit after Life flopped.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

It's a non Deadpool Ryan Reynolds movie, I'm shocked so many think it's going to be a hit after Life flopped.

Except this is a comedy role where he has a major role with Samuel L. Jackson.  Sounds far more appealing than him being a side character to Gyllenhaal in a serious sci-fi movie and dying 30 minutes in.

• Like 6

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

I agree. RR movies tend to be overpredicted and I have a gut feeling this will follow suit. My early guess is that it'll perform like The Change-Up.