Alli

Weekend Thread. Dark Tower 19.5...Dunkirk 17.6....Emoji 12.3...Girls Trip 11.4 not sure what page| Not the sex thread

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Birth of a Nation is a film I don't want to see because I won't be able to separate art from the artist. Nate Parker creating rape scenes to give his character a motivation and to defend his previous actions IRL is fucked up. Like, you don't see Mel Gibson putting anti-Semitic stuff in his films or giving a protagonist motivation because terrible things happened to Jews.

Plus he doesn't just direct the film too.  he's the writer, producer, and lead actor.

• Like 2

Just now, JB33 said:

Aaaaanyway...

Has anyone here seen WIND RIVER? When will it get a wide release? Ever since I heard about the film getting made I've been very interested in it.

It's pretty good. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

Emma Watson's autotune is shaking in it's boots.

I've pretty much accepted at this point that the best original song winner is gonna be some new shitty song from BATB or a random tune from greatest showman.  no middle ground.

• Like 1

Mel Gibson as a director gets a lifetime pass from me. Can't deny his talent.

As an actor, I'm conflicted. His old stuff gets the benefit of the doubt but his new stuff seems to be feeding off his racist rants and seedy reputation.

It sucks when you enjoy someone's work only to find out they're a mean spirited dick bag IRL.

I have to wonder if the peak amount of respect we have for celebrities/artist/politicians is strictly based on their professional work and any honest revelations will only lead to growing disappointment and disillusionment.

• Like 1

Yeah, Passion is a movie w/a good heart, good message and good intentions (and a great depiction of one of the most fascinating human beings of all time, even if I don't care about religion or Christianism - I have some degree of faith and I believe in luck and karma, but that's the extent of my beliefs :ph34r:) - not to mention the jaw droppingly detailed production values - but the anti-Semitism is a little on the nose (no pun intended), especially upon learning of Gibson's comments later. He made up for it w/Hacksaw Ridge, though, and I want to believe that he wants to redeem himself from those days.

AND, Cara is the type of rich bitch who will shove in your face the amount of bling she has just because she can. She rubs me that way, at least. Tbh, I'm always blown away when people say she's gorgeous - I don't find her that attractive, frankly :jeb!:

17 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Don't forget Battleship.

THAT'S WHAT I SAID, MAN. Portugal brothas thinking alike. Not sure if that's really cool... or kind of a racist move by fate :sparta:

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

that song is the worst example of rich parents letting their woefully untalented kid believe they could have a music career since rebecca black.

It isn't even legendarily bad like Friday which was just a string of WTF moments back to back. This is more awful bad like that single Paris Hilton released, only Hilton's single might actually have been better.

• Like 2

time to bring back my tired riff that Hacksaw Ridge is a TOTAL GOOF IT'S NOT A SERIOUS MOVIE AND NO ONE CAN CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE.

Passion similarly a total goofball movie. that scene where Jesus invents the table (?!??!) is the funniest of 2004.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

time to bring back my tired riff that Hacksaw Ridge is a TOTAL GOOF IT'S NOT A SERIOUS MOVIE AND NO ONE CAN CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE.

Passion similarly a total goofball movie. that scene where Jesus invents the table (?!??!) is the funniest of 2004.

If Jesus invented the table, who invented the chair?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

On the topic of pedophilia, technically speaking, a legal adult dating someone at age 15 is not pedophilia, it's ephebophillia (sexual attraction towards teenagers). But regardless of what the legal name is, it's creepy and fucked up. She was empregnated at age 15 by a 30+ year old man, for fuck's sake. And what tells me that their relationship started w/her at 15 anyway? Not to mention The Professional's pedo tones. This guy is a creep. Plain and simple.

Now, despite all of that, I've been trained to separate the art from the artist for a while now (through the likes of Roman Polanski, Chris Benoit and Charles Manson). I respect Luc Besson's filmmaking and accomplishments. I want to respect Valerian. But I won't respect the man himself.

Back to actual box office: Dark Tower about where I expected it, which for a 60M budget movie isn't world ending but it's also not headline worthy. Kidnap, honest to God, really good for the type of film that it is (a dumpjob). Detroit... just didn't work, bottom line. Dunkirk, Spidey, Girls Trip, WW, BD, DM3... all looking good, for lack of a surprise there. Apes finally doing okay - proving my theory of it mirroring SMH's run of bad 1st two weekends and solid late legs correct. Emoji and Blonde meh. Valerian utterly pathetic, it makes Guy Ritchie's King Arthur look like Jurassic World.

Benoit winning the rumble and Mania were 2 of my favorite moments. I can't watch that Mania match anymore, the rumble remains a great moment because it is so tightly booked but it now has zero in terms of emotional impact after the murder suicide.

• Like 1

Wtf at that title :P

Well, to add my view,I think that 16-17 is borderline passable. When it is younger it is just abnormal.

I also think that it is more fine for girls. I mean, I have had friends of mine (girls) who dated with guys at their mid 20s while being 16-17 year olds. The same occasion with genders diversed feels more awkward.

However, a well known example is France's prime minister Emmanouel Macron who, If I am not mistaken, started dating at the age of 17 his teacher (who now is his wife).