FlashMaster659

WEDNESDAY NUMBERS | Dunkirk 1.96M - WW 0.28M

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Both sides are wrong. The run is not astonishing. The run has been good. Again Wonder Woman's run is astonishing and so was Guardians 1 and Spidey 2002 and The Dark Knight. Spidey's is good but it's not at those levels. And it doesn't need to be, those levels are rare.

I can't speak for anyone else but I never thought a recovery was impossible after it's 62 and 49% drops. It's weekdays were always strong, stronger than it's weekends slightly. What I objected to was the hyperbole and predictions of a 3.4+ multiplier because fans were desperate for it to beat Wonder Woman domestically. As if it were some sort of failure if it didn't. It's nice to see some of my fellow Spidey fans come back down to earth...if only a little. Now that the unfair goal post has been moved they have to pretend that Spidey had the run of the year to make themselves fell better. The movie did great guys no need to pretend it did something that it didn't.

Hold on there, cowboy. Of course that Wonder Woman's box office run is the run of the year. Hell, it's one of the runs of the decade, next with The Avengers, Jurassic World and Star Wars: The Force Awakens. After its opening weekend, I never thought that Homecoming could reach the kind of legs that Wonder Woman has, but I've always advocated that it would recover since the word of mouth for the film was indeed great. And it did. That was always my point. 

9 minutes ago, That Floating Guy said:

They only counted weekend totals after that

Week totals, do you mean? I never saw something like that, I mean: 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=superman2015.htm

I honestly think you are wrong. I think those $333m is for something else other than its original run. It just seems off when compared with everything else.

Here's the actual breakdown for GotG's $333m:

http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Guardians-of-the-Galaxy#tab=box-office

GotG kept going in theaters until weeks after 2015's holidays. It crossed $333m by the New Year. What are the odds of both WW and SM:H keep having screenings up until the end of the year? I'd argue that WW has a better shot at that than Homecoming. 

Edited by iJackSparrow

4 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

Week totals, do you mean? I never saw something like that, I mean: 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=superman2015.htm

I honestly think you are wrong. I think those $333m is for something else other than its original run. It just seems off when compared with everything else.

BvS didn't need to stop daily tracking since it closed so early anyway. Guardians still had weekly totals up until January.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekly&id=marvel2014a.htm

2 minutes ago, cookie said:

BvS didn't need to stop daily tracking since it closed so early anyway. Guardians still had weekly totals up until January.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekly&id=marvel2014a.htm

Yeah I just noticed that. I wonder if both Homecoming and WW could just keep going until December in some theaters. Maybe not Homecoming, but I could see it happening with WW. 

Just now, iJackSparrow said:

Yeah I just noticed that. I wonder if both Homecoming and WW could just keep going until December in some theaters. Maybe not Homecoming, but I could see it happening with WW. 

It's Sony so I'd be surprised if it's still tracking past October.

What about WW? I'd argue that they could literally just keep going, even after the film is released in dvd/blu-ray. 

WB is much more willing to track a movie for months on end so that's more plausible.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

For such an unspecial run that keeps going and just made to $300m dom and it's about to get released in Japan that might pave the way to become the highest grossing superhero film of the year, there are certainly some people here trying very hard to label it as "non special", "ok" and "ordinary". :rolleyes:

Baby Driver lost more theaters than I thought this weekend. Spider-Man, Dunkirk and Emoji did very well with the theater counts. I suppose WW did too, since it is in its 11th week. We'll see what happens this weekend. Other than Annabelle, it looks like another lackluster weekend. 

2 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Yeah, I guess 350 m DOM and 100% on RT would've been better.

Not an unreasonable expectation for a reboot at all. 

/sarcasm

But you and others called BvS which is a reboot of Batman a failure and that ended with $873M WW which Spidey and Iron Man won't reach. If people were consistent then I'd have no issue, I feel smh left money on the table 

For such an unspecial run that keeps going and just made to $300m dom and it's about to get released in Japan that might pave the way to become the highest grossing superhero film of the year, there are certainly some people here trying very hard to label it as "non special", "ok" and "ordinary". :rolleyes:

iJack, why does it matter so much what others think of Spider-man's run? You and a few others think it had an extraordinary run and some other people didn't think it did. Based on its box office performance, the argument is in the eye of the beholder. Those who were expecting an all time run like the Raimi/other MCU movies would be underwhelmed. Judging by the standards of the average movie, the run is very good. It is all about perspective.   

1 minute ago, Diana Prince said:

iJack, why does it matter so much what others think of Spider-man's run? You and a few others think it had an extraordinary run and some other people didn't think it did. Based on its box office performance, the argument is in the eye of the beholder. Those who were expecting an all time run like the Raimi/other MCU movies would be underwhelmed. Judging by the standards of the average movie, the run is very good. It is all about perspective.   

I agree...few movies give us a unified board perspective (good or bad), but I think this weekend and Nut Job 2 might be one of them:)...

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

Well people are replying to you.

2 minutes ago, Diana Prince said:

Homecoming has a good shot of becoming the highest grossing Spider-Man film of all time. It all depends on Japan and China. And I don't care what the others think, what I do care is people trying to make me the culprit of the hate towards this franchise by some members here. The irony is that I'd stand right next to them celebrating WW getting to something like $310m dom. I am standing next to them celebrating WW crossing $400m. They can't because they are too over their heads with their petty franchise wars. 

Wonder Woman has already outdone Spider-Man for Week 10 of their runs with the Thursday gross yet to be reported for Wonder Woman:

• Wonder Woman: $3.342 million (without Thursday’s gross); likely ~$3.6 million with Thursday
  • Spider-Man: $3.248 million

Wonder Woman is thus pulling close to Spider-Man, and should be able to “pass” it very soon in terms of following their respective runs day-to-day.

In weeks 11 and 12, Spider-Man dropped -61% and -58.5%, respectively. Thus, Wonder Woman has the potential to pull ahead considerably in the next two weeks and catch its $403.7 million total relatively soon.

With theatre counts up for this next week (Fri-Thu), Wonder Woman is losing about 26% of its theatres, a sizeable chunk, but which compares very favourably to Spider-Man which lost a whopping 62% of its theatres in the same week. Spidey went on to lose over 50% of its remaining theatres the week after, too.

If Wonder Woman sticks around well enough and also gets a Labour Day boost, it could make a push for the top 5 grossing comic book films. But this would just be icing on the cake. It will easily pass Spider-Man to become the highest grossing origin solo CBM, which is an exceptional run.

Highest Grossing Comic Book Films (sorry the formatting isn't very readable, the forums still don't retain my original formatting for me :()

Spoiler

1. Marvel’s The Avengers (2012) — 623.4 million
2. The Dark Knight (2008) — 534.9 million
3. Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) — 459.0 million
4. The Dark Knight Rises (2012) — 448.1 million
5. Iron Man 3 (2013) — 409.0 million
6. Captain America: Civil War (2016) — 408.1 million
7. Spider-Man (2002) — 403.7 million
8. Wonder Woman (2017) — 400.5 million^
9. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017) — 388.6 million^
10. Spider-Man 2 (2004) — 373.6 million
11. Deadpool (2016)— 363.1 million
12. Spider-Man 3 (2007) — 336.5 million
13. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) — 333.2 million
14. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) — 330.4 million
15. Suicide Squad (2016) — 325.1 million
16. Iron Man (2008) — 318.4 million 
17. Iron Man 2 (2010) — 312.4 million 
18. Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017) — 299.3 million^
19. Man of Steel (2013) — 291.0 million
20. The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) — 262.0 million
21. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) — 259.8 million
22. Batman (1989) — 251.2 million
23. Men in Black (1997) — 250.7 million
24. X-Men: The Last Stand (2006) — 234.4 millon
25. X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014) — 233.9 million

^ Box office run not yet complete

I’ll add that Wonder Woman currently sits at a 3.88 multiplier - that multiplier (with a $100+ million opening and a $400+ million gross) is, again, simply incredible for a comic book film. It could also realistically end up obtain the 4th or 5th highest multiplier ever for any film that opened to $70+ million, depending how leggy it is through Labour Day weekend:

Best Multipliers Ever for $70+ Million Opening Films (Friday Openers):

Spoiler

1. Avatar (2009) — 77.0 million (9.73) 
2. Finding Nemo (2003) — 70.3 million (4.84)
3. Zootopia (2016) — 75.1 million (4.55)
4. Inside Out (2015) — 90.4 million (3.94)
5. American Sniper (2015) — 89.3 million (3.92)
6. Wonder Woman (2017) — 103.3 million (3.88)
7. Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015) — 248.0 million (3.78)
8. Toy Story 3 (2010) — 110.3 million (3.76)
9. The Incredibles (2004) — 70.5 million (3.71)
10. Finding Dory (2016) — 135.1 million (3.60)

Peace,

Mike

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Wonder Woman has already outdone Spider-Man for Week 10 of their runs with the Thursday gross yet to be reported for Wonder Woman:

• Wonder Woman: $3.342 million (without Thursday’s gross); likely ~$3.6 million with Thursday
  • Spider-Man: $3.248 million

Wonder Woman is thus pulling close to Spider-Man, and should be able to “pass” it very soon in terms of following their respective runs day-to-day.

In weeks 11 and 12, Spider-Man dropped -61% and -58.5%, respectively. Thus, Wonder Woman has the potential to pull ahead considerably in the next two weeks and catch its $403.7 million total relatively soon.

With theatre counts up for this next week (Fri-Thu), Wonder Woman is losing about 26% of its theatres, a sizeable chunk, but which compares very favourably to Spider-Man which lost a whopping 62% of its theatres in the same week. Spidey went on to lose over 50% of its remaining theatres the week after, too.

If Wonder Woman sticks around well enough and also gets a Labour Day boost, it could make a push for the top 5 grossing comic book films. But this would just be icing on the cake. It will easily pass Spider-Man to become the highest grossing origin solo CBM, which is an exceptional run.

Highest Grossing Comic Book Films (sorry the formatting isn't very readable, the forums still don't retain my original formatting for me :()

Reveal hidden contents

I’ll add that Wonder Woman currently sits at a 3.88 multiplier - that multiplier (with a $100+ million opening and a $400+ million gross) is, again, simply incredible for a comic book film. It could also realistically end up obtain the 4th or 5th highest multiplier ever for any film that opened to $70+ million, depending how leggy it is through Labour Day weekend:

Best Multipliers Ever for $70+ Million Opening Films (Friday Openers):

Hide contents

1. Avatar (2009) — 77.0 million (9.73) 
2. Finding Nemo (2003) — 70.3 million (4.84)
3. Zootopia (2016) — 75.1 million (4.55)
4. Inside Out (2015) — 90.4 million (3.94)
5. American Sniper (2015) — 89.3 million (3.92)
6. Wonder Woman (2017) — 103.3 million (3.88)
7. Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015) — 248.0 million (3.78)
8. Toy Story 3 (2010) — 110.3 million (3.76)
9. The Incredibles (2004) — 70.5 million (3.71)
10. Finding Dory (2016) — 135.1 million (3.60)

Peace,

Mike

Man, really shows how crazy Avatar was. 9.73!

• Like 2