CJohn

WEEKEND THREAD | ANNABELLE 2 - $35m; DUNKIRK - $11.4m; NUT JOB 2 - $8.9m; BABY DRIVER Crosses $100m!!!

33 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Considering how big Horror has become these past few years, I wonder if Venom is a good movie and is scary, will it breakout?

If it is marketed as more of a horror then it will be seen as something different for the genre and probably yes

• Like 2

Wow, that is a massive number. I do think that the It preview + having less competition than The Conjuring 2 (don't forget Warcraft and NYSM2 came out in the same weekend) might have inflated its numbers, but it's still incredibly impressive and indicative of a 30M+ opening; especially if wom matches the overall positivity from critics. Considering how awful the 1st movie was and its not too great multiplier, the "sequel" holding on this tight would be fantastic.

The Conjuring Cinematic Universe is here to stay. James Wan turned a hard-edged horror franchise into one of the most popular and profitable ones in Hollywood. What a God.

• Like 1

We’re not going to see action like this again until Sept. 8, when Warner Bros. and New Line again, resuscitate the box office with the feature adaptation of Stephen King’s It which is expected to take in $50M.

From DHD in the Annabelle 2 previews page.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 2

I made a quick research, and every Horror movie from the last 4 years opening between June-August generated at least a 10.0x off it's previews even the ones with toxic WOM (The Gallows), I would love to see someone explaining me why would Annabelle break this trend, especially the ones claiming an OW under $30m, because it makes zero sense to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

Glass Castle?

When failed adult dramas/failed Oscar bait gets bad/mixed reviews it usually does very poorly at the box office. And it's not like the marketing was stellar.

I love Brie Larson but Glass Castle looks like a Lifetime channel original movie. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6

25 minutes ago, YourMother said:

We’re not going to see action like this again until Sept. 8, when Warner Bros. and New Line again, resuscitate the box office with the feature adaptation of Stephen King’s It which is expected to take in $50M.

From DHD in the Annabelle 2 previews page.

Warner Bros is having a great year. Up next IT, 2049 and Justice League 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steele131 said:

Warner Bros is having a great year. Up next IT, 2049 and Justice League 

Dont forget the IMAX 3D spectacle Geostorm. WB only distributing 2049 and Geostorm though, the producers are Alcon and Skydance.

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Dont forget the IMAX 3D spectacle Geostorm. WB only distributing 2049 and Geostorm though, the producers are Alcon and Skydance.

Or the $500B+ blockbuster Ninjago.

• Like 2

Holy fuck hats the good number. I wasn't even expecting 3M to be honest. That being said, I'm thinking more 34-36M than 40M+, the market right now is just starved for another breakout.

Just imagine how It would have done had it released today. All I'm hoping that the (sort of breakout?) success of Annabelle doesn't lower demand for It

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I imagine it's going to be slaughtered by the critics, the reshoots and several date delays don't give much confidence.

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Holy fuck hats the good number. I wasn't even expecting 3M to be honest. That being said, I'm thinking more 34-36M than 40M+, the market right now is just starved for another breakout.

Just imagine how It would have done had it released today. All I'm hoping that the (sort of breakout?) success of Annabelle doesn't lower demand for It

There's enough of a gap between Annabelle and IT for one not to hurt the other. I think IT is still going to break the September record

• Like 2