CJohn

WEEKEND THREAD | ANNABELLE 2 - $35m; DUNKIRK - $11.4m; NUT JOB 2 - $8.9m; BABY DRIVER Crosses $100m!!!

Silver and Black pretty much trying to steal Captain Marvel's thunder by releasing 3 weeks before it. Sony basically saying "We are going to give you 2 female superheroes leading a movie before Marvel gives you one regardless of whether you asked for it or not"

Silver and Black will live or die based on the casting. Hopefully they have good actresses lined up for it.

2019 might see Silver and Black, Captain Marvel, Batgirl and/or Gotham City Sirens and end with Wonder Woman 2. Might end up being a great year for female led superhero movies.

• Like 9

Just now, grim22 said:

Silver and Black pretty much trying to steal Captain Marvel's thunder by releasing 3 weeks before it. Sony basically saying "We are going to give you 2 female superheroes leading a movie before Marvel gives you one regardless of whether you asked for it or not"

Silver and Black will live or die based on the casting. Hopefully they have good actresses lined up for it.

It will be a popular Valentine Weekend choice, so it gets 2 weekends to clean up (it's OW and then VD/Pres Day weekend)...and it does take the thunder away from Capt Marvel...

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

That date may be bad for it though. Opening against Lego Movie 2, can take away mothers with young daughters if it's R, and takes away families if it's PG-13. Then it fights a X-Men movie which I think will be X-Force, and Bride of Frankenstein and Isn't It Romantic, both of which will take away female audiences.

• Like 1

Just now, YourMother said:

That date may be bad for it though. Opening against Lego Movie 2, can take away mothers with young daughters if it's R, and takes away families if it's PG-13. Then it fights a X-Men movie which I think will be X-Force, and Bride of Frankenstein and Isn't It Romantic, both of which will take away female audiences.

Don't think there will be an X-Men movie the weekend after. That is a holdover date that BOM didn't remove from their schedule.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

With both Barbie and Amusement Park moving, The Incredibles 2 has the advantage of being the only major family movie of the summer.

Nah, Jurassic World is gonna draw kids - the 1st one cleaned up with them...so it has some immediate competition, although not for the camp crowd...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, a2knet said:

IMO next in release date shuffle could be VENOM. Do you think they gonna release it in a year?

Also,

http://deadline.com/2017/08/silver-and-black-marvel-sony-movie-sicario-2-holmes-and-watson-bad-boys-3-release-dates-1202147448/

So 2019 will have THREE female-led superhero films??? 

Nice.

I just pray that all of them ( Silver & Black, Captain Marvel, and Wonder Woman 2 ) are well received by critics and audiences so studios' faith in woman-centric CBMs gets stronger and stronger. :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Nah, Jurassic World is gonna draw kids - the 1st one cleaned up with them...so it has some immediate competition, although not for the camp crowd...

JWFK will be very much like AOU and take a dive. Incredibles 2 like Dory will appeal to the young and old with no real competition. It'll be the bigger IO to JWFK smaller JW.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

Valentine's supports a huge movie going audience - couples - boys like supers and girls like girl supers - see WW - put a touch of a romance arc in this movie and insta-hit for the day - see WW...Silver could literally open to $60M its 1st weekend and hold for 20%-25% off the 4 day weekend...and be over $120M before it has to breathe hard...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UNDERDOG said:

@MrPink

Since you're one of the leaders of the DCEU club, I gotta ask:

I can't access the discussion. Is that just a me thing or is that for everyone?

Your first mistake here was assuming Pink knows anything :sparta:

I think it's just a bug with the clubs thing. It took a few days at least until I could post/see the discussion sections of the Cogman Cogclub. Came up with the same error that the DCEU Club has now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Barbie IMO is something which needs the summer weekdays and kids out of school to have a good run at the box office. August is a horrible date for it in terms of legs. I would have definitely seen if they could have prepped it for early June and released it alongside Deadpool as the female quadrant appeal movie.

But then it would've faced Ocean's Eight in its second weekend (Anne Hathaway is in both).

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, UNDERDOG said:

@MrPink

Since you're one of the leaders of the DCEU club, I gotta ask:

I can't access the discussion. Is that just a me thing or is that for everyone?

Give it a day or two as @aabattery mentioned otherwise submit a request in the Support function is my suggestion. 

That sounds like what a leader would say right? :sparta:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 2

14 minutes ago, El Panda Machos said:

Crazy how Annabelle 2 is going to increase from Annabelle, despite how disliked the first was.

Conj2's reception helped probably.

Also helps that this does not seem like a continuation and goes back to creation (haven't watched it but judging by the marketing).

RT must have played it's role (Now it's at 68% but was higher for a long time).

The summer is horror-starved too.

• Like 1