baumer

The Hitman's Bodyguard (2017)

Grade it  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Tick Tock Muthfucka!

THB is the most fun I've had at theatre so far this summer.  SLJ and Ryan Reynolds fucking kill it in this movie.  They have instant chemistry and play really well off one another.  I've never seen Jackson seem to have this much fun in a role.  His facial expressions, comedic timing and even his romantic side are all top notch.  And like Deadpool, this is a love story just as much it is a buddy action film.  The action is terrific as well and the last car chase with Jackson outrunning the bad guys and then with Reynolds on foot fighting the bad guys, was truly breath taking.  There are some moments in the film that are highly improbable like Jackson finding where Reynolds is getting tortured but you just kind of ignore all that stuff because you are having so much fun.

The Hitman's Bodyguard is what summer movies should be about.  Laughing, great actors hamming it up and just a lot of fun.

Oh, and Salma Hayek!  Funny as hell.

8.5/10

• Like 1

Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L. Jackson have very good chemistry (though neither is really stepping outside of their wheelhouse here) but this is sunk by a script and direction that shifts uneasily in tone between being a comedy or being an action flick. I felt like I was watching a second rate version of either an Adam McKay or a Paul Feig movie and can't help but wonder how much potential they could've derived from this stuff and given the stars a more worthy vehicle to play off of each other. It's got some very funny moments (Salma Hayek actually gets most of the movie's biggest laughs, but she's hardly in it), but it's nothing you need to see until it inevitably shows up on F/X 2.5 years from now. C

12 hours ago, filmlover said:

I feel like you and I see different versions of the same movie 9 times out of 10. :lol:;)

It handles its tone better than Baywatch did. ;)

And although some may wish Salma Hayek was in it more, I'd rather have someone make more of an impression with less screentime than someone who makes less of an impression with more screentime.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

A movie about @CJohn's 2 AM drunken escapades in public would be better than Baywatch so that's damning with the faintest praise. :lol:

I can't disagree with this. Baywatch was pretty bad.

Very fun movie. The plot was shit but I guess it didn't really bother me that much for a movie like this. Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L Jackson had great chemistry and that was the one thing I was looking forward to. The action was great surprisingly, and Salma Heyek gets a decent amount of laughs. This movie is filled with flaws like the sometimes inconsistent tone, problems with the script, and Gary Oldman was wasted which dissapointed me. I'm not expecting anything  Oscar worthy but I had a really fun time and that's all that really matters for a movie like this. 7/10.

Edited by afalconer7

On 8/19/2017 at 7:49 PM, filmlover said:

Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L. Jackson have very good chemistry (though neither is really stepping outside of their wheelhouse here) but this is sunk by a script and direction that shifts uneasily in tone between being a comedy or being an action flick. I felt like I was watching a second rate version of either an Adam McKay or a Paul Feig movie and can't help but wonder how much potential they could've derived from this stuff and given the stars a more worthy vehicle to play off of each other. It's got some very funny moments (Salma Hayek actually gets most of the movie's biggest laughs, but she's hardly in it), but it's nothing you need to see until it inevitably shows up on F/X 2.5 years from now. C

Huh?  This movie reminded me of a lot of things, but a Paul Feig movie was not one of those things.

Anyway, this was really fun and funny and I enjoyed myself, so I'd say it's a good movie.  B/B+

• Like 1

This movie was fun. Pretty much tight screenplay which makes sure you are glued to the screen.

Salma Hayek stands out, shes the best part of the movie though she has less screen time. 

Reynolds and Sam onscreen chemistry is crackling at times but its not the same every time they are in the same frame!

Apart from few significant shortcomings this ones a solid entertainer. 

7/10

• Like 1

Saw it last night.

This went through all the generic sequences that you'd expect from this type of road trip movie.

There was nothing at all that we have not seen before, generic baddies, generic action sequences, faux bad guy/good guy becoming grudging friends.

I should have hated everything about this movie, but I still bloody loved it.

The chemistry between RR and SLJ was really good and the comedy made it all work in then end.

This should be no surprise because it's the same formulae that Marvel uses in every one of their films.

B+

Has it's moments but is a total cheese fest. The action set pieces were cool but it felt like there were no stakes to them and the score/music was non-stop and flat out obnoxious at times. It reminded me of stuff like Central Intelligence or The Whole Nine Yards. It's the type of movie that I doubt I'll remember even seeing in a few days (a week later, I have no idea what the two main characters were called). You could do a lot worse with your two hours though. - C+

The Hitman's Bodyguard really only succeeds thanks to Jackson's and Reynolds' character. The former being often one-note and the latter being annoying in essentially every role where you see his face, combining that somehow makes their obnoxious self-awareness fun and easy to watch. The best scenes are the ones with just the two in a battle of snark with each other.

However, the action is outright terrible, and the script functions as a star vehicle but not really as anything else. It's a 90s action movie plot shot like the awful R-rated shaky-cam fad of the late 00s. It doesn't help that this movie looks ridiculously cheap, with lazy cinematography (there's actual digital grain in a lot of the shots) and some of the worst visual effects I've seen on the big screen in recent years. The editing is the only technical aspect that works well, and there's a lot of fun moments here and there thanks to the edit.

Reynolds and Jackson having a good time might be infectious enough for some to really enjoy this movie, but to me, it just makes me sad a better action director didn't take this one on, since there are some creative setpiece ideas in here, but all are incomprehensible thanks to the direction. The Hitman's Bodyguard movie is destined for a lifetime on basic cable, and seeing how the only thing you'll miss is Samuel L. Jackson's favorite word, that'll probably be the best place to see it for the first time. Distressingly mediocre. C-