CJohn

Obi-Wan Kenobi | Disney+

I'll actually watch this one week-to-week, I didn't for BoBF and got spoiled for all the things even though I don't even follow SW accounts (but do follow a few nerdy ones, so yeah, expected). Tbf if I cared that much I would've watched every week though lol.

Will be interesting to see what they do with this, I can't say I like the prequels or have fondness for this character in particular, but I'm wondering what they'll cover in the show. Guess Moon Knight also gets to have six full weeks instead of the theorised two episodes on premiere night to get it out of the way before 4th May. :D I guess it still could get the double ep first treatment but there's not another impending show to make it much more likely. I agree that it's always good to take extra time if needed, particularly with covid still causing issues.

Looking forward to the trailer to get a taste of what it looks like for sure.

• Like 3

On 2/10/2022 at 1:51 AM, Marek the Jedi said:

I wonder when we will se TRAILER ;) hopefully we will get few money shots and maybe it will break some views recods ;)

Marek

Wasn't one on the Super Bowl, and for the record I wasn't expecting anything.

Might get one sometime during March Madness, as that's the next big sports event between now and May 25th.

FWIW, the Final Four/National Championship Game is gonna be about seven weeks before the premiere, which is approximately when SW Disney Plus trailers have been dropping, give or take.

Halftime of one of those games is possible, but since it's a CBS telecast a 30 sec teaser-link to the full trailer is perhaps more likely.

Either way, Late March to Early/Mid April is when I would expect it, even if it isn't on a particular sporting event.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

Mid-April is when I’m expecting it based on LFL and precious TV trailer release dates.  Still a ways away. 

It'll be on ESPN's Opening Night Sunday Night Baseball Game!!!!

In the last week of April. :ph34r:

Edited by Porthos
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

(•_•)
<) )╯   CLONE
/ \ 
(•_•)
\( (>    WARS
/ \
(•_•)
<) )╯   FLASHBACKS
/ \

EDIT:::

(okay, could dream sequences, but let's get real here)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3
  • Astonished 1

This rumor has been percolating for a while now, ever since John Williams was seen scoring a TV series. 

Still not official, but....

Now how much of the series he might be scoring is very much still an Open Question.

Just the main theme?  A couple of scores here and there?  Helping along?  No one really knows, hence all of the rumoring but little confirming. But does appear he's doing something with the series, though how much remains to be seen.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2

6 hours ago, Porthos said:

This rumor has been percolating for a while now, ever since John Williams was seen scoring a TV series. 

Still not official, but....

Now how much of the series he might be scoring is very much still an Open Question.

Just the main theme?  A couple of scores here and there?  Helping along?  No one really knows, hence all of the rumoring but little confirming. But does appear he's doing something with the series, though how much remains to be seen.

I suppose this counts as confirmation:

John Williams Returns to ‘Star Wars’ Universe with ‘Obi-Wan Kenobi’ Theme (EXCLUSIVE)

More than two years after completing his ninth “Star Wars” movie, composer John Williams is returning to the Jedi fold with a theme for “Obi-Wan Kenobi,” Variety has learned.

Williams has written the musical signature for the continuing adventures of the character played by Ewan McGregor, airing on Disney Plus beginning May 25. He recorded last week with a Los Angeles orchestra under tight security, sources say.

It is a coup for both Lucasfilm and Disney, considering the five-time Oscar winner rarely composes for television. His last theme for a weekly dramatic series was “Amazing Stories” in 1985, although he has written two for PBS series (“Masterpiece Theatre” in 2000, “Great Performances” in 2009), and his news and Olympics themes, written decades ago, continue to air on NBC.

Williams’ “Star Wars” scores are legendary. He won an Oscar for the original in 1977 and received nominations for five of the sequels (“The Empire Strikes Back” and “Return of the Jedi” in 1980 and 1983, followed by “The Force Awakens,” “The Last Jedi” and “The Rise of Skywalker” in 2015, 2017 and 2019).

He also wrote the theme for “Solo: A Star Wars Story” in 2018 and Disneyland’s “Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge” theme park in 2019. The latter won him his most recent Grammy, one of six awarded for his “Star Wars” compositions over the years.

Williams, who turned 90 on Feb. 8, is remarkably busy. He is composing the scores for Steven Spielberg’s “The Fabermans” (due out in November) and for the fifth “Indiana Jones” movie (due next year). He will conduct the Vienna Philharmonic on March 12-13, the Philadelphia Orchestra April 19 and 21, the Pittsburgh Symphony on April 25 and the Los Angeles Philharmonic Sept. 2-4 at the Hollywood Bowl.

Williams scored the original Obi-Wan Kenobi, as played by Alec Guinness, with a theme that became better known as that of the Force (“the spiritual-philosophical belief of the Jedi Knights and the Old Republic,” as the composer explained in 1977), used in the famous Throne Room scene that concluded the first “Star Wars” film.

It is not known if he has reprised that, or possibly a theme from the George Lucas-directed, Williams-scored prequels that featured McGregor (“The Phantom Menace,” “Attack of the Clones,” “Revenge of the Sith” from 1999-2005), or written an entirely new piece. The TV stories are said to take place after the events of “Sith.”

No word yet as to who will be scoring the six individual episodes, which are believed to be recording in London.

Disney and Lucasfilm spokespeople were unavailable for comment on this story.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

8 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

How has Obi Wan never had a theme? Like, he was one of the main characters of the prequel. Kinda sucks tho. Whatever Williams would've come up with then would've been infinitely better what's hes probably come up with now.

The Force theme was his theme in the original film, but its become so ubiquitous in the franchise that he needs a new one specific to him. 

• Like 2

IMHO opinion, John Williams' is the single most important element in defining Star Wars and one of the few which has been of consistently high quality throughout the saga.

Simply put, Star Wars is not truly Star Wars without his music

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Whatever Williams would've come up with then would've been infinitely better what's hes probably come up with now.

Now let's hold our horses, Rey's Theme is still one of the best themes he's ever written, and he did that 7 years ago so relatively recent compared to his body of work.

• Like 4

Williams did a lot of great work in the sequel trilogy. Rey's Theme, March of the Resistance, Rose's Theme, Luke/Ahch-To theme, The Rise of Skywalker, Anthem of Evil. I think it doesn't quite stand out as much because the ST has comparatively fewer moments where it goes silent and lets the music do the heavy lifting. Rey's Theme is an exception as it scores the great scene at the beginning of TFA showing Rey's scavenging life, which is part of why I think it sticks a lot more than anything else in the ST.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Rather interesting Disney is going back to the prequels and original trilogy lore to expand the universe.

Wise move after the divisive new films 

Yes, the famously non-divisive prequel era which was beloved by all at the time.

(in other words, we'll get plenty of sequel-era content in due time)

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Yes, the famously non-divisive prequel era which was beloved by all at the time.

(in other words, we'll get plenty of sequel-era content in due time)

Sequels redeemed the prequels though to the SW fanbase

🧐

Glory to George Lucas... 😎

Edited by Torontofan