baumer

BOT---Revisiting the top 25 of 1987.....We have a tie at number 1!!

Spoiler

Maurice

Written by:  E.M. Forrester, Kit Heskett-Harvey

Directed by:  James Ivory

Starring:  Hugh Grant, Ben Kingsley, Helena Bonham Carter

maurice-movie-poster-1987-1010469252.jpg

Number of First place votes:  0

Imdb summary:  After his lover rejects him, a young man trapped by the oppressiveness of Edwardian society tries to come to terms with and accept his sexuality

Tomato Meter:  93% (14 reviews), 7/10 average

Academy awards:  0 wins, 1 nomination

E. M. Forster's novel, "Maurice," is given a first-rate screen adaptation by this British production. James Ivory's direction is very cinematic, conveying the multi-layered story through a series of dramatic scenes, with just a bit of over-voice narration. Its impact comes through an incremental effect, reaching moving proportions by the end of the lengthy presentation. James Wilby, Hugh Grant, Rupert Graves and Helena Bonham Carter are all excellent, heading a superior cast. Every aspect of the production has been carefully prepared and executed. What emerges is the tragedy of societal constraint, under the guise of virtue. It is a tightrope to walk for the free-wheeling, independent thinker in this society: he who steps outside the bounds of regularity is subject to scorn and persecution. That the drama's heroes do not fall into the mode of so-called "normalcy" leave them open to a lifestyle of tension and risk. Forster beautifully conveys this in the novel, and Ivory transfers it to the screen with great skill.

Critic comment:  It's woozy, unadulterated romance, an intoxicating tuxedo-ripper set against the elegant priggishness of England's post-Edwardian gentry (I have no idea WTF this means)--Rita Kempley Washington Post

Random fake comment by a forum member:  A beautiful and poignant look at the struggles and trials and tribulations in a post Edwardian gentry, filled with wit, humour and elegance.---Noctis

I fucking loved the orgy scene---RTH

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

Au revoir Les Enfants

Written by:  Louise Malle

Directed by:  Louise Malle

Starring:  Gasparde Manesse, Francine Racette

Poster-of-Au-revoir-les-enfants_non-date

Number of First Place Votes:  0

Imdb synopsis:  A French boarding school run by priests seems to be a haven from World War II until a new student arrives. He becomes the roommate of top student in his class. Rivals at first, the roommates form a bond and share a secret.

Tomato Meter:  97%, 9.2/10

Academy Awards:  0 wins, 2 nominations

The film is based on events in the childhood of the director, Louis Malle, who at age 11 was attending a Roman Catholic boarding school near Fontainebleau. One day, he witnessed a Gestapo raid in which three Jewish students and a Jewish teacher were rounded up and deported to Auschwitz. The school's headmaster, Père Jacques, was arrested for harboring them and sent to the concentration camp at Mauthausen. He died shortly after the camp was liberated by the U.S. Army, having refused to leave until the last French prisoner was repatriated. Forty years later Yad Vashem, Israel's official memorial to the victims of the Holocaust, granted Père Jacques the title of Righteous Among the Nations.

Random critic comment:  In this frightening and beautiful film, a schoolboy must learn hard lessons early....Richard Corliss, Time Magazine

Random Fake Forum member comment:  Although powerful and sublime, it would be better if there was more mud and some chickens.... Tele

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Hide contents

Au revoir Les Enfants

Written by:  Louise Malle

Directed by:  Louise Malle

Starring:  Gasparde Manesse, Francine Racette

Poster-of-Au-revoir-les-enfants_non-date

Number of First Place Votes:  0

Imdb synopsis:  A French boarding school run by priests seems to be a haven from World War II until a new student arrives. He becomes the roommate of top student in his class. Rivals at first, the roommates form a bond and share a secret.

Tomato Meter:  97%, 9.2/10

The film is based on events in the childhood of the director, Louis Malle, who at age 11 was attending a Roman Catholic boarding school near Fontainebleau. One day, he witnessed a Gestapo raid in which three Jewish students and a Jewish teacher were rounded up and deported to Auschwitz. The school's headmaster, Père Jacques, was arrested for harboring them and sent to the concentration camp at Mauthausen. He died shortly after the camp was liberated by the U.S. Army, having refused to leave until the last French prisoner was repatriated. Forty years later Yad Vashem, Israel's official memorial to the victims of the Holocaust, granted Père Jacques the title of Righteous Among the Nations.

Random critic comment:  In this frightening and beautiful film, a schoolboy must learn hard lessons early....Richard Corliss, Time Magazine

Random Fake Forum member comment:  Although powerful and sublime, it would be better if there was more mud and some chickens.

BOT fails us once again by placing such fantastic movie so low. Let's be honest folks, are there REALLY 20 movies better than ARLE in 87? 

Spoiler

Angel Heart

Written by Allen Parker based on the book Fallen Angel by William Hjortsberg

Directed by Allan Parker

Starring:  Mickey Rourke, Robert DeNiro, Lisa Bonet, Charlotte Rampling

large_zVABs77t8P6flUShTnnTHjeTc3w.jpg

Number of First Place Votes:  1 (that would be me)

Imdb synopsis:  Harry Angel is a private investigator. He is hired by a man who calls himself Louis Cyphre to track down a singer called Johnny Favorite. But the investigation takes an unexpected and somber turn.

Tomato Meter:  79%, 7.2/10

Before its release, Angel Heart gained controversy for its casting of Bonet (then known for her role on the family-oriented sitcom The Cosby Show) and her graphic sex scene with Rourke, which faced censorship issues from the Motion Picture Association of America. Parker was forced to remove ten seconds of sexual content to avoid an "X" rating and secure the "R" rating that the film's distributor, Tri-Star Pictures, wanted. An unrated version of the film was later released on home video. Angel Heartreceived mixed reviews and underperformed at the North American box office, grossing $17 million during its theatrical run. It has since gained a cult following, with some reviewers calling it one of the best horror films ever made.  You can count me in this group.  It's got more atmosphere and twists and turns than most films.  

Random Critic Comment:  An underappreciated thriller with a sizzling Lisa Bonet to boot!...John Urbanich...Your Movies

Random Forum User Comment:  Angel Heart is goddamn amazing....Jake Gittes

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Goffe said:

BOT fails us once again by placing such fantastic movie so low. Let's be honest folks, are there REALLY 20 movies better than ARLE in 87? 

Probably not many have seen it.

We'll start revealing the films that received votes but didn't make the top 25.

90) Baby Boom

91) Creepshow 2

92) The River's Edge

93) Hamburger Hill

94) Jaws the Revenge

95) Project X

• Like 5

Spoiler

The Dead

Written by:  John Huston and James Joyce

Directed by:  John Huston

Starring:  Angelica Huston, Donal McCann, Helena Caroll

large_smxngPhXBLa95BdXC6f7IWtGxUc.jpg

Number of First place Votes:  1

Imdb Synopsis:  Gabriel Conroy and wife Greta attend an early January dinner with friends at the home of his spinster aunts, an evening which results in an epiphany for both of them

Tomato Meter:  92%, 7.8/10

Most of the film takes place at an annual party given by three spinsters (two sisters and their niece), where a group of upper-class Dubliners gather for an evening of music, recitations and dinner. While there is very little plot per se, the interaction and conversation among the group reveals much about Dublin in the early 20th century when the stirrings for independence were just beginning. The cast, all talented Irish stage actors with the exception of Anjelica Huston, are universally wonderful, and one actually feels he is a guest at the gathering himself. The poignant final scene, between Ms. Huston and the amazing Donal McCann, reveals much about the marriage of the characters. There is poignancy mixed with humor and insight, and for those who like quiet, thoughtful movies, "The Dead" is highly recommended.

Random Critic Comment:  Huston was an old man when he died, but he had not withered dismally with age because he still had the courage and the imagination to attempt to make an impossible film of the greatest story that he had ever read..Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun Times

Random Fake Forum User Comment:  This was better than The Hitman's Bodyguard:  ClaudeManhatten

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, That Floating Guy said:

Disappointing 

I actually considered Masters of The Universe for my list & even I didn't put think twice about putting Jaws: The Revenge on it.

I'm more disappointed by how little votes River's Edge got. Now there's a film that I didn't put on my list, but I need to go back & revisit it again, because I remember it being quite good.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

I actually considered Masters of The Universe for my list & even I didn't put think twice about putting Jaws: The Revenge on it.

I'm more disappointed by little votes River's Edge got. Now there's a film that I didn't put on my list, but I need to go back & revisit again, because I remember it being quite good.

River's Edge is terrific.  Dennis Hopper kind of kills it....Ione Skye was awesome as well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

River's Edge is terrific.  Dennis Hopper kind of kills it....Ione Skye was awesome as well.

If I remember Crispin Glover was excellent in the lead-role as well, and it was a film that played to Reeves' strengths. I really need to find a good copy of that film.

• Like 1

We'll get back into this tomorrow....here are the next five that didn't make the list

85) The Fourth Protocol

86) Dragnet

87) Born in East LA

88) The Chipmunk Adventure

89) *batteries not included

• Like 5