baumer

BOT---Revisiting the top 25 of 1987.....We have a tie at number 1!!

Just now, Squadron Leader Tele said:

SUMMER SCHOOL is way too low. :( 

Summer School is also one of the funniest films of the decade.  It's got a brilliant script and a lot of actors that are far from stars but certainly recognizable.  The student who goes to the bathroom all summer and then shows up to take the test a month later, had me in stitches.  And of course the Texas Chainsaw Massacre Stuff was excellent.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

4 of the top 5 is easy to guess but I'm at a loss at what the fifth one is.

Please, tell us what you think the top 4 of 5 is.....I have a feeling I know which one you are forgetting.  I don't want to give a clue because I think it'll be too easy to figure out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Please, tell us what you think the top 4 of 5 is.....I have a feeling I know which one you are forgetting.  I don't want to give a clue because I think it'll be too easy to figure out.

Spoiler

Princess Bride, Robocop, Full Metal Jacket, Raising Arizona.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

Hide contents

Princess Bride, Robocop, Full Metal Jacket, Raising Arizona.

Well, you might be right on all of them, or you could be off.....I'll just say this....there might be some meltdowns when the top five are revealed.....and I was right when I predicted the film you would not guess.....hmmm...I'll try for a really cryptic hint...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

I want you to come home and watch television with me. 

I'd like that too....but if that's from a movie, I don't know which one. :(

1 minute ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

It's the same movie as your quote. :ph34r: 

Hmmm im going to have to go ahead and disagree with you on that one.

Spoiler

Lethal Weapon

Written by:  Shane Black

Directed by: Richard Donner

Starring:  Mel Gibson, Danny Glover, Gary Busey

LethalWeaponRA2_9259.jpg

Shane Black was a recent UCLA grad when he shopped his script around Hollywood.  It eventually landed in Joel Silver's lap and he loved it.  Silver was one of the hottest producers in Hollywood with film credits like Commando, Weird Science and Predator.  He offered the job of directing to Donner who accepted after reading the script and loving it as well.  

Mel Gibson was invited by Richard Donner as he was interested in working with the actor after Ladyhawke. Casting director Marion Dougherty first suggested teaming Gibson with Danny Glover, given Murtaugh had no set ethnicity in the script. She arranged for Gibson to fly in from his home in Sydney while Glover was flown in from Chicago, where he was appearing in a play, to read through the script. 

According to Donner, "It took about two hours and by the time we were done, I was in seventh heaven. They found innuendoes; they found laughter where I never saw it; they found tears where they didn't exist before; and, most importantly, they found a relationship — all in just one reading. So if you ask about casting... it was magical, just total dynamite."

Explains Gibson, "This particular story was a cut above others I had passed on, because the action is really a sideline which heightens the story of these two great characters. I picture Riggs as an almost Chaplinesquefigure, a guy who doesn't expect anything from life and even toys with the idea of taking his own. He's not like these stalwarts who come down from Mt. Olympus and wreak havoc and go away. He's somebody who doesn't look like he's set to go off until he actually does."

The draw for Glover was equally strong. Fresh from his success as Mister in The Color Purple, he felt the role of Roger Murtaugh offered a whole new range of character expression and experience. "Aside from the chance to work with Mel, which turned out to be pure pleasure, one of the reasons I jumped at this project was the family aspect. The chance to play intricate relationships and subtle humor that exist in every close family group was an intriguing challenge, as was playing a guy turning 50. Murtaugh's a little cranky about his age until everything he loves is threatened. His reawakening parallels Riggs'."

Lethal Weapon would go on to become a moderate hit both domestic and world wide but it spawned a franchise that would make everyone very wealthy.  

Number of First Place Votes:  0

Imdb Synopsis:  A veteran policeman, Murtaugh, is partnered with a younger, suicidal officer, Riggs. They both have one thing in common: hating working in pairs. Now they must learn to work with one another to stop a gang of drug smugglers. 

Tomato Meter:  83%, 7/10

Academy awards:  0 wins and 1 nomination

Random Critic Comment:  The pace never slows, the jokes never miss and the stunts never disappoint in this macho-dream of an actioner...Gavin Bainbridge--Empire Magazine

Random Forum Comment:  This is probably the *best* movie of the 4. Its fun, its got action, a classic buddy cop movie.

@Jay Hollywood

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1