News
  • Disney Update: STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI Estimated for $220.05M Domestic Weekend

Join our Telegram group by clicking the following link:

https://t.me/joinchat/BDsV7QrWB2ogzJ811S043A

You can get Telegram by downloading the app and creating an account using your phone number. You can then change your username to your forum name.

The Last AndyLL

Justice League | 17 NOV 2017 | Review embargo has lifted (pg511 for the daring). NO SPOILERS ALLOWED

1 minute ago, MrGlass2 said:

But Wonder Woman also outgrossed Spider-Man+Iron Man and Thor+Hulk. And the shared universe gimmick certainly helped Wonder Woman and Suicide Squad if you compare them to DC's previous non-Batman efforts.

It just seems that adding ever more superheroes doesn't translate into exponentially higher BO anymore. In fact, that trick only really worked once domestically, for Avengers. We will see if Infinity War repeats the feat.

Did you respond to months old post ?

I don’t even rememebwr posting this at all this month lol.

9 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

If you want to go in fresh...avoid watching this.    I don't know if a spoiler per se, but he gets really specific about a couple of things that happen in the movie.   After he did that twice, I turned it off.

Box office stuff....just heard my group got tickets for tomorrow and the exact same situation occurred as 2 weeks ago.   7:00 pm showing virtually sold out, opted for 8:00 showing.   We also got the tickets one day before the show 2 weeks ago.   So it looks like the numbers will be similar in that one theater at least.

Impressions I'd say it's okay. Now reviews? Particularly, I never read or watch any of them before watching a film I have an invested interest in.

This will be crowd pleasing no doubt. We will for sure know what happens Friday morning. If this has a 20M+ preview, I will put my foot in my mouth. 

Just now, Brainiac5 said:

Did you respond to months old post ?

I don’t even rememebwr posting this at all this month lol.

It was actually a quote from reagr in your own post, my deepest apologies.

• Like 1

800M should be a sure thing but how far it goes i really can't say.

300+M DOM,China 100M and about 110M from Brazil+Mexico+UK gets it to 550M from only 5 markets.I am pretty sure the rest can give it 250M at the very least so atm i will say a BvS total is likely.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

It has Thanksgiving next week and might just take a 40-50% drop.

Hmmm I think fan base movies (Twilight, Hunger Games) still dropped pretty hard. Hopefully it helps though. 

11 minutes ago, Warmaster506 said:

WB/DC will have to slowly repair the damage.  Most reviews point to the heroes being very good in this. That is a huge step in the right direction.

That's a great analysis of the situation imho. I hate the fact that we can't compare with other films from other franchises, but let me say this:

This IS better than the third film of an otherwise great classic trilogy AND leaps and bounds better and more coheren than the duology that followed and got recently rebooted. This film isn't a catastrophe by any means. MC doesn't reflect right now the film's actual quality, which is flawed but isn't bad.

EDIT: Good thing that I only saw the rule update after posting this. So yea, this is leaps and bounds better than either SM3, TASM and TASM2

Edited by ZattMurdock

Deadline is projecting a ww opening weekend for JL (opens everywhere except for Japan) of around $325-345M, with $110-120M domestic + $200M+ 

Thor:Ragnarok opened $123M dom + $190M intl (all opening weekends from overseas markets combined) = $313M "real opening weekend"

I'm starting to think JL won't even outgross Thor:Ragnark, and if it does, it won't be by less more than 100M.

Edited by meriodejaneiro

2 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Rule Update:

We instituted very strict rules for this thread back when there wasn’t much actual news coming out (aside from Snyder stepping back), and arguments got so circular they destroyed the thread. 

Well, the movie's been released now, and as such it’s fair to discuss the creative people involved and other movies as well (including Marvel movies). 

Note: this is NOT an excuse to start slamming people (fans or talent) or starting more ridiculous Franchise Wars. We will continue to give points and/or thread-bans for posts we feel go past a reasonable point. But if you want to make a comparison between a Marvel movie and JL, you can.

I don't think I want to make comparisons between any Marvel movie, as I think that is a pointless exercise. I like and dislike things in both film universes, but I think taking a look at these reviews, I am starting to understand that when people say they think the critics are "biased" against DC, I think what they are really saying is that the critics may be conditioned to see DC's flaws over their strengths.

I work in technology and we have a similar outlook when it comes to market share: it is hard to come into an industry after years of one company having dominance and setting a gold standard and then try to carve out your own place. Iron Man came out in 2008 and Marvel had 5 years of movies before DC entered the game in 2013. Critics and audiences were comfortable with what Marvel had accomplished, and I just think that when a different product comes out on the market, it suffers from being looked at in a different lens.

Now, that doesn't mean that Justice League doesn't have its' problems, but every product is going to be compared to what came before it, so DC just has to keep making money and slog it out until they find their own space in the market. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, grim22 said:

RT pushed out a Flixster app update so that no one can see the score anymore. They really want people to tune in to the show tonight. 52% after 50 reviews is the baseline we have to work off of basically.

32HCve9J4ee7TQ4LaTx.png

Someone earlier said 47% and 51 reviews through a backdoor 

I don't see this film getting the kind of bad rep that previous than Wonder Woman's films got. I do see getting good word of mouth regardless the reviews. I do think that's one of the rare cases that a film is sort of RT proof. Of course that it could use a score over 70%, but won't live or die for that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Deadline is projecting a ww opening weekend for JL (opens everywhere except for Japan) of around $325-345M, with $110-120M domestic + $200M+ 

Thor:Ragnarok opened $123M dom + $190M intl (all opening weekends from overseas markets combined) = $313M "real opening weekend"

I'm starting to think JL won't even outgross Thor:Ragnark, and if it does, it won't be by less than 100M.

Thor Ragnarok has a strong shot at 900M but lets get to 840M before even having that conversation. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RedX said:

Someone earlier said 47% and 51 reviews through a backdoor 

That was BS. There was no backdoor, the Reddit person who said that didn't provide a screenshot because his/her home button was broken. A lot of people gave detailed instructions as to how to take a screenshot without that button, the Redditor just nuked their entire account instead. 52% after 50 is the last verified review count. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, CenterMeOnSam said:

I don't think I want to make comparisons between any Marvel movie, as I think that is a pointless exercise. I like and dislike things in both film universes, but I think taking a look at these reviews, I am starting to understand that when people say they think the critics are "biased" against DC, I think what they are really saying is that the critics may be conditioned to see DC's flaws over their strengths.

I work in technology and we have a similar outlook when it comes to market share: it is hard to come into an industry after years of one company having dominance and setting a gold standard and then try to carve out your own place. Iron Man came out in 2008 and Marvel had 5 years of movies before DC entered the game in 2013. Critics and audiences were comfortable with what Marvel had accomplished, and I just think that when a different product comes out on the market, it suffers from being looked at in a different lens.

Now, that doesn't mean that Justice League doesn't have its' problems, but every product is going to be compared to what came before it, so DC just has to keep making money and slog it out until they find their own space in the market. 

As with most things though, perception will only get you so far if you don't have a good product.  Critics may be biased for the reasons you mentioned, but that still leaves a lot of the audience reactions and they have been subject to disappointment too.  I think DC needs to work on making a good product over an ill-planned cash grab.  Most of DC's animated films (and animated series) have been really good, something that it's always disappointed me not to see this carry over to their live action films.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CenterMeOnSam said:

DC has been releasing SH movies since 1978.  Great, good, mediocre and horrible.

In 2008 they released TDK to universal acclaim

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Hmmm I think fan base movies (Twilight, Hunger Games) still dropped pretty hard. Hopefully it helps though. 

JL will have a extremely soft drop You heard it here first.

• Like 1

The thing here is that JL is already making less than BvS on SK and France, looks like will open behind BvS on China and the person who usually reports their numbers said the WoM there will probably not be good. But who knows? Maybe the fun aspect of JL may have a Transformers effect on China, despite they kind of turning their backs to the franchise this year. 

Here in Brazil it's kinda hard to know the WoM, DC fans are very vocal on social media and try really hard to push BvS and SS as overlooked masterpieces, so there's a lot of fanboys really defending the movie as the best thing since money. But there's also a lot of people saying how "meh" it is and how terrible it's the CGI.

One thing I thought funny was that even with only 120 minutes, JL didn't received any more screens than the usual blockbusters. And they got a 10+ rating, while Ragnarok is rated 13+.

Edited by Impmon
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

I'm starting to think JL won't even outgross Thor:Ragnark, and if it does, it won't be by less than 100M.

JL will end up somewhere in between 375-400.

BVS was suppose to open to 345/350 and it blew that out of the water with bad internal multipliers.

Edited by Brainiac5
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

DC has been releasing SH movies since 1978.  Great, good, mediocre and horrible.

In 2008 they released TDK to universal acclaim

You are absolutely correct. But this was publicized as being the first DC shared film universe. Therefore this was a reset that was putting them directly in competition with another shared film universe, Marvel. 

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

That was BS. There was no backdoor, the Reddit person who said that didn't provide a screenshot because his/her home button was broken. A lot of people gave detailed instructions as to how to take a screenshot without that button, the Redditor just nuked their entire account instead. 52% after 50 is the last verified review count. 

Thanks for clarifying. With 50 reviews, I doubt it goes up at all. Scores usually stagnate or fall with more reviews