Eric!

Joker l Oct 4 2019 | Warner Bros. l Todd Phillips directing l Joaquin Phoenix to play Joker. World Premiere @ Venice, NA Premiere @ TIFF l Is it a CBM? 🤔

10 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

when dreamworks let Shrek 2 play in competition at the Cannes Film Festival they were saying "this is not a real animated film; please don't associate us with them"

8 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i remember when Halloween premiered at TIFF last year and everyone was like "this is being sold as awards bait!"

Legit just did the same joke in two minutes. Find a new slant

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

I'm sorry, did I say it couldn't? This is about how the movie is being sold and a TIFF premiere says it's being sold as a serious (awards bait) drama, first and foremost.

Famously, The Predator was nominated for 8 Oscars after its TIFF premiere last year

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Legit just did the same joke in two minutes. Find a new slant

don't worry i'm sure @That One Guy will be along in a minute to tell the same joke.

EDIT: LMAOOO

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
  • Not Cool 1

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

don't worry i'm sure @That One Guy will be along in a minute to tell the same joke.

EDIT: LMAOOO

I'm so so sooooo sorry TOG, but I am literally laughing out loud here. :lol:

• Haha 1
  • Not Cool 1

11 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i remember when Halloween premiered at TIFF last year and everyone was like "this is being sold as awards bait!"

Halloween didn't go out of its way to show us how different it is from other Halloween movies so this isn't nearly as clever or cute as you think. 

10 minutes ago, Porthos said:

And I'm saying it's being sold as both.  Look at how the advertising is playing up the Joker's costume.  Look at how it's playing up looking at things through a well known characters eyes.

All I am saying this is being sold as A Serious Film AND a Comic Book Movie.

That very very few have done that might be causing the disconnect here.

A costume which in itself is not all that comic booky but easily recognizable so of course they would play that up when they obviously want buzz for the movie. Hardly proof that it's being sold as comic book movie.

Just now, Ororo Munroe said:

A costume which in itself is not all that comic booky but easily recognizable so of course they would play that up when they obviously want buzz for the movie. Hardly proof that it's being sold as comic book movie.

???

You know what, never mind.  Let me backtrack.  What WOULD them be "selling this as a comic book movie" look like?

What would be different in the way they are cutting trailers and promoting the movie?

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

???

You know what, never mind.  Let me backtrack.  What WOULD them be "selling this as a comic book movie" look like?

Skybeams.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

Skybeams.

Gonna break out that old meme and NOT tag Tele?  

You know what?  I respect that. Maybe leave it as an easter egg for him to find one day. 👍

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Skybeams.

the skybeams in Road to Perdition and Ghost World were unnecessary, but it's how i figured out those movies were based on comic books.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Porthos said:

???

What would be different in the way they are cutting trailers and promoting the movie?

Uhh, aren't 99.9% cbms sold as action movies that happened to have more dramatic, serious and/or comedic elements? Not that a comic book movie can't be anything else. But to say this movie is being sold as a cbm when it doesn't resemble the vast majority of cbms is hilarious. This is being sold as a drama that happens to center a comic book character. That's what I see at the moment. 

Edited by Ororo Munroe

30 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

I'm sorry, did I say it couldn't? This is about how the movie is being sold and a TIFF premiere says it's being sold as a serious (awards bait) drama, first and foremost.

Yeah, because Gaspar Noe and Lars Von Trier do Oscar-bait movies.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Uhh, aren't 99.9% cbms sold as action movies that happened to have more dramatic, serious and/or comedic elements? Not that a comic book movie can't be anything else. But to say this movie is being sold as a cbm when it doesn'tt resemble the vast majority of cmbs is hilarious. This is being sold as a drama that happens to center a comic book character. That's what I see at the moment. 

But that's just it. 

Sure the overwhelming majority of CBMs are sold as action movies.  I even made that point on the last page.  But I just don't see where a film that is literally being sold as a backstory about one of the most famous comic book characters of all time and is steeped in tropes surrounding the character isn't being sold as a comic book movie.

The pitch, if I could boil it down to one sentence seems to be:  Look at what happened to turn an (apparently) ordinary man into the Joker.

If that isn't being sold as a comic book movie, then I don't what is.  That it doesn't have lots of action (presumably) just makes a very different type of comic book movie.

Edited by Porthos
switched from 'the backstory' to 'a backstory' as it isn't claiming to be definitive

Switching gears:

Jordan Maison is usually right about these things (though not always, as plans can change)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Porthos said:

But that's just it. 

Sure the overwhelming majority of CBMs are sold as action movies.  I even made that point on the last page.  But I just don't see where a film that is literally being sold as a backstory about one of the most famous comic book characters of all time and is steeped in tropes surrounding the character isn't being sold as a comic book movie.

The pitch, if I could boil it down to one sentence seems to be:  Look at what happened to turn an (apparently) ordinary man into the Joker.

If that isn't being sold as a comic book movie, then I don't what is.  That it doesn't have lots of action (presumably) just makes a very different type of comic book movie.

Ok, if you want to say it's a very different type of cbm, fine. But as it's not promoting any cbm elements, other than the main character's appearance, I will continue to see it as a movie that's being sold as drama starring a comic book character. 

Edited by Ororo Munroe

8 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Ok, if you want to say it's a very different type of cbm, fine. But as it's not promoting any cbm elements, other than the main character's appearance, I will continue to see it as a movie that's being sold as drama starring a comic book character. 

Who died and made you the supreme judge of what constitutes comic book elements and what does not?

I think it pretty clear that to you unless a movie had huge big action scenes and lots of SFX it can't be a comic book hero movie.

9 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Doesn't matter how you see it. You ain't so special you can just conjure up meanings. CBMs are simply movies based on comic books.  That's it. That's what they are, their whole definition. Not action. Not comedy. Not serious or dramatic. No the whole definition is that their source material is comic books.

Joker is a CBM. It's source material is comic books. If Maus was made into a movie (hopefully CGI and not digital fur technology) it would still be a CBM even though the graphic novel is about the Holocaust.

Joker also seems to be a character-centric drama. But that doesn't make it any less of a CBM.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

On 6/27/2019 at 7:21 PM, ViewerAnon said:

You know how right-wing YouTube reacted a certain way to THE LAST JEDI? I think the SJW crowd (of which I am a card-carrying SJW) is going to do a similar thing with JOKER.

meh

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Who died and made you the supreme judge of what constitutes comic book elements and what does not?

I think it pretty clear that to you unless a movie had huge big action scenes and lots of SFX it can't be a comic book hero movie.

Why don't you enlighten me on what other cbm elements I'm missing in the promotion? Surely that would be more useful than throwing pointless snark because you don't like my take on this? 

4 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

If Maus was made into a movie (hopefully CGI and not digital fur technology)

Hopefully hand drawn 2D. 👀