CoolEric258

Joker l Oct 4 2019 | Warner Bros. l Todd Phillips directing, Martin Scorsese producing l Joaquin Phoenix to play Joker. De Niro joins

1 minute ago, TMP said:

$300m+ on the cards imo

I certainly think there is a strong possibility.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrGlass2 said:

Doubt it. Well, it should do well in the US but OS it will be worse than Lego Batman. It sounds like Joker isn't a superhero movie at all, unlike Venom.

What kind of action scenes are they going to put in the trailer to interest non-Batman fans; a clown torturing and shooting people?

Worse than Lego Batman OS? A movie about The Joker, a character who's last 2 on-screen appearances did gangbusters overseas, and is now getting his own movie would do worse than Lego Batman OS? If this was a film about The Riddler or Lex Luthor, definitely, but The Joker's an iconic character across the world. 

1 minute ago, TMP said:

A movie about The Joker, a character who's last 2 on-screen appearances did gangbusters overseas

In big-budget superhero movies and with, well, Batman (or many others if you meant SS). That is very different from carrying alone a mid-budget cop drama/character study(?).

The budget is $55m, I imagine WB would be pleased if it $300-350m WW 

• Thanks 1

If they get their full trailer played with IW2, WB will be laughing to the bank.

3 hours ago, TMP said:

$300m+ on the cards imo

For a Rated R superhero drama movie ? Logan is its ceiling rn imo.

3 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

Doubt it. Well, it should do well in the US but OS it will be worse than Lego Batman. It sounds like Joker isn't a superhero movie at all, unlike Venom.

Latin America and Europe (especially Europe) can make up for its limited reach in Asian markets

This will probably do 100M domestic total, you people are crazy. lol

21 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

This will probably do 100M domestic total, you people are crazy. lol

Stranger things have happened before. Nobody expected It to be a $400M DOM/$700M WW blockbuster, or for Venom to cross $800M WW. The Joker is iconic as he is, and the set videos and photos have generated buzz. Honestly, the lowest I can see this worldwide is $400M.

• Like 3

Just now, JGAR4LIFE said:

Stranger things have happened before. Nobody expected It to be a $400M DOM/$700M WW blockbuster, or for Venom to cross $800M WW. The Joker is iconic as he is, and the set videos and photos have generated buzz. Honestly, the lowest I can see this worldwide is $400M.

I  can see a maximum of 200M WW, this character unlike venom doesn't really lend itself well to being a massively successful spinoff off a main hero franchise given the nature of the character. 

Unless this is sub 40 RT and rated R, its clearing $100m ow easily

4 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

What kind of action scenes are they going to put in the trailer to interest non-Batman fans; a clown torturing and shooting people?

Joker speaking = money shot

21 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Interest is there but I have always found this project dubious, Phoenix is the only reason to be optimistic. Then again, a psychological thriller with Phoenix sounds great but wouldn't get anywhere near $400M.

It is just hard to know what kind of movie this is supposed to be, and if it will appeal to the usual superhero crowd overseas. Now if the trailer drops and gets tens of millions of views, then by YouTube law Joker can get that high or even higher.

Really surprised that some people are still thinking that this will not be big, and also surprised some think that this will make numbers equal Lego Batman OS ($136M OS?LOL), what I can say is that at least here in Brazil the hype generated by those  behind the scenes/clips was huge, and changed the opinion of many people because at first everyone was against this film because people thought it was unnecessary.

And Joker is a very iconic character here, it will be big for sure, I can see it making more than Logan/Deadpool (2 very successfull superhero + 18 movies here).

1 hour ago, DMan7 said:

I  can see a maximum of 200M WW, this character unlike venom doesn't really lend itself well to being a massively successful spinoff off a main hero franchise given the nature of the character. 

Lets save this for the future. I'm sure this won't look stupid. It's not like Joker is the biggest villain in all of comics...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChipMunky said:

Lets save this for the future. I'm sure this won't look stupid. It's not like Joker is the biggest villain in all of comics...

DMan7 always stans against Warner Bros and DC films so it's no surprise he thinks it'll be a flop.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I’m personally predicting over 300m for this.  

Venom was pretty big with with bad reviews and baffling hilarious trailer.  Joker should be even bigger.

October is no longer for the space movies, it’s for the bad boys

• Like 2

Joker will do well which is a shame seeing how this is peak unneeded and doesn't understand the character at all. Guess it's just following in Venom's footsteps in both ways.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Joker will do well which is a shame seeing how this is peak unneeded and doesn't understand the character at all. Guess it's just following in Venom's footsteps in both ways.

Seems like a bit of a premature take.

• Like 1

Just now, aabattery said:

Seems like a bit of a premature take.

A Joker backstory movie is doomed to fail because a big part of Joker's character is that mystery and intrigue about his backstory. Even The Killing Joke which basically built itself on Joker's backstory subverted that by having him say he's not even sure if what he's remembering even happened. Not to mention Joker's origin is so tied to Batman ((Much like Venom's is to Spider-Man...funny how that works)) that a Joker origin without Batman is weird. Even Batman 89 which gave him a way more conclusive and definitive origin then I'd like recognized this by having them create each other.

Just now, Mulder said:

A Joker backstory movie is doomed to fail because a big part of Joker's character is that mystery and intrigue about his backstory. Even The Killing Joke which basically built itself on Joker's backstory subverted that by having him say he's not even sure if what he's remembering even happened. Not to mention Joker's origin is so tied to Batman ((Much like Venom's is to Spider-Man...funny how that works)) that a Joker origin without Batman is weird. Even Batman 89 which gave him a way more conclusive and definitive origin then I'd like recognized this by having them create each other.

The key thing that sets this movie apart from Venom is that while the latter movie is the start of its own franchise, this movie is supposed to be a one-off with no connections to any larger franchise. This movie will presumably be the only time we ever see Joaquin Phoenix as the Joker, so I think it could work as its own little thing.