CoolEric258

Joker l Oct 4 2019 | Warner Bros. l Todd Phillips directing, Martin Scorsese producing l Joaquin Phoenix to play Joker. De Niro joins

1 hour ago, NamakFiskKa said:

Calling it now this movie will be Bohemian Rhapsody of comic book villain movie

*Green Book of CBMs

35 minutes ago, Porthos said:

The point isn't being 'politically correct' or not 'triggering idiots'.  The point is whether or not the film, for the lack of a better turn of phrase, "Takes the Joker's side". 

But the 'danger' for lack of a better word, is the film basically saying "Well, Joker went too far, but can you blame him?" when it comes to whatever vile deed

It all depends on execution. Nolan's Joker had a point, even though he's a maniac. Brian Fuller's Hannibal is a maniac, but his point of view/philosophy was really well executed and kinda made sense, so that's why people liked him despite who he is. It makes these characters compelling, deep and not one dimensional. I don't think Philips is going to justify Joker's actions, more like show character's point of view on all this and show what kind of person our society and political climate could create. But it'll trigger some groups no matter how it's executed.

• Like 2

Yeah the person throwing the word trigger around like this is definitely an open minded individual.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Yeah the person throwing the word trigger around like this is definitely an open minded individual.

Are you offended by word "trigger"? I don't think you should see the movie in this case.

Edited by Firepower

1 minute ago, Firepower said:

Are you offended by word "trigger"? I don't think you should see the movie in this case.

Yes indeed I am because I have PTSD from getting r*ped when I was 11 so yes I think I have the right to get upset when a word used to describe getting full blown anxiety attacks from traumatic memories is used to describe people being upset over a funny book movie.

• Sad 10

I'm hoping this is more like Starship Troopers where on paper it seems like it is promoting the shitty ideologies of the characters and the world when it is actually just satirising them (using Starship troopers as an example here because the book did actually have fascist tendencies and can also be considered military-industrial complex propaganda but the movie makes fun of all those things). 

• Like 1

Meh, as I said last night before I logged off for the night, all this will do is breed toxicity and that’s exactly what happened.

So, congrats Drew, you got the attention you asked for, now have fun with it. 

• Like 1

Is Todd Phillips the kind of director to rise above a mediocre/bad script? 

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

Is Todd Phillips the kind of director to rise above a mediocre/bad script? 

His biggest directed film is Hangover 2, so the answer is absolutely fucking not.

Everyone was so blinded by Scorcese, Deniro and Phoenix that they keep forgetting the director and writer is just not very good historically.

Edited by SpiderByte

Phillips' track record is indeed spotty at best but I dunno, I feel like Phoenix wouldn't have signed on for a project that was incel-flavored garbage. Or perhaps everybody really does need a nice paycheck every now and then. We'll find out in October, I guess.

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

His biggest directed film is Hangover 2, so the answer is absolutely fucking not.

Everyone was so blinded by Scorcese, Deniro and Phoenix that they keep forgetting the director and writer is just not very good historically.

Scott Silver, the co-screenwriter, has RT screenwriting credits of 90% (The Fighter), 64% (Finest Hour), 75% (8 Mile) and 54% with something called John back in 1997. His screenwriting resume the past 20 years is solid.

Was Drew high or something? He has been doing this for long enough that he should know what he’s doing, especially when commenting on the script of a movie still in post production which is 5 months away from release. Then acting like he had no idea why people are angry.

This is why “bloggers” has become a 4 letter word on film twitter. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The ironic thing is the test screenings were okayish on the movie. Of course this is not really much of an indication of the quality of the movie. 

• Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

The ironic thing is the test screenings were okayish on the movie. Of course this is not really much of an indication of the quality of the movie. 

Can't say that I'm particularly jazzed for "okay," but to be clear, Drew never said that the script was bad, at least in his comments that I read. He said that the film was going to be very divisive, and in ways that could get ugly. Guess we'll find out in October.

6 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

*Green Book of CBMs

Both BR and GB were movies that played it safe. I don’t want this movie to play it safe. 

Posted (edited)

It's not surprising at all that it could be divisive, this kind of movie can't be for everyone if it's good in what it should be and not playing it safe. Still it was dumb for Drew to announce that he knows something, but won't say anything useful.

Edited by Firepower

9 minutes ago, A Star is Orm said:

to be clear, Drew never said that the script was bad, at least in his comments that I read. He said that the film was going to be very divisive, and in ways that could get ugly. Guess we'll find out in October.

This.

22 minutes ago, A Star is Orm said:

Can't say that I'm particularly jazzed for "okay," but to be clear, Drew never said that the script was bad, at least in his comments that I read. He said that the film was going to be very divisive, and in ways that could get ugly. Guess we'll find out in October.

Yea reading over the tweets again that seems to be the case

Basically it's a movie incels will love

Posted (edited)

It's an Elseworlds one off movie; no reason to get upset about it imo. For those that don't know what "Elseworlds" means , it's a non canon story featuring an alternative take on an established character. 

Well known examples:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman:_Red_Son

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotham_by_Gaslight

It's been known this movie isn't canon: https://nerdist.com/article/3-joker-movies-everything-we-know/ >>>

"All we know about the film simply titled Joker is that is not connected to the DCEU, and is actually a standalone film. In short, this version of the Clown Prince of Crime won’t be the same Joker that Jared Leto has played in Suicide Squad and may play again in the other two movies that are in the pipeline. This is similar to how DC Comics produces “Elseworlds” stories around its characters that are set outside of the main continuity, and sometimes take place in different time periods." 

Edited by jaybox