Jump to content
Eric Sparrow

Joker | Oct 4 2019 | 4th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, nevermore said:

1 million likes now with 35.7M views

I don't get it... The appeal seems very limited compared to the average superhero or Pokemon blockbuster.

However you can't deny the YouTube Law, Joker should do well in the US at least (but won't get anywhere near half of Venom worldwide).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

I don't get it... The appeal seems very limited compared to the average superhero or Pokemon blockbuster.

However you can't deny the YouTube Law, Joker should do well in the US at least (but won't get anywhere near half of Venom worldwide).

Less than Venom in Asia, but it's gonna do enough in the US/Europe to do more than "half of Venom worldwide".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TMP said:

Less than Venom in Asia, but it's gonna do enough in the US/Europe to do more than "half of Venom worldwide".

And when it doesn't, you're going to write another 100 very concerned comments "complaining" about Warner marketing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

I don't get it... The appeal seems very limited compared to the average superhero or Pokemon blockbuster.

However you can't deny the YouTube Law, Joker should do well in the US at least (but won't get anywhere near half of Venom worldwide).

Are you kidding? Joker has a big appeal, is by far the most popular comic villain abroad as well,  Joker will be bigger than Venom in the domestic market, probably in Europe and 70% of Latin America markets, Venom will be much bigger in Asia, and this should be the difference for Venom to be bigger worldwide, I think Joker does not even reach $35m in China (if it is released in China) while Venom made $272m here.

Edited by Lucasmessi12
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lucasmessi12 said:

Are you kidding? Joker has a big appeal, is by far the most popular comic villain abroad as well,  Joker will be bigger than Venom in the domestic market

The Joker is indeed the most popular villain. And it would be possible to make a Venom-type blockbuster starring the Joker (without Batman) with a lot of action. But it wouldn't look like this one, and not with a ~$50M budget. Honestly without the DC brand, how much would you expect at the box office from a thriller/dramedy (?) showing the descent into homicidal madness of a sad comedian with mommy issues?

(all in my opinion of course)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A character study doesn't sound like it'll appeal to the GA all that much.  But the 'Joker' name alone should guarantee a big opening at least

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, if Joaquin Phoenix happens to win an Oscar for this movie (not saying it’s guaranteed, but you never know), would the Joker officially be classified as an Oscar-baity role? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2019 at 12:19 AM, cax16 said:

Something is up with YouTube, the trailer jumped to over 29m views today from yesterday

Something is still up, it's at 37.4M views now. Insanity.🤡

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

The Joker is indeed the most popular villain. And it would be possible to make a Venom-type blockbuster starring the Joker (without Batman) with a lot of action. But it wouldn't look like this one, and not with a ~$50M budget. Honestly without the DC brand, how much would you expect at the box office from a thriller/dramedy (?) showing the descent into homicidal madness of a sad comedian with mommy issues?

(all in my opinion of course)

I agree with the essence with your post, but the point is that the DC brand and the character itself ARE there and ARE the selling points. 

 

The usual Scorsese-like crime drama won't be a huge blockbuster by modern (and especially superhero) movie standards, but if you put one of the most popular comic book characters (and arguably the #1 villain) front-and-centre, it does change the equation a bit. 

 

I do think it won't have good legs - except maybe traditional markets that embrace this as an award movie, should it actually be that quality. But the curiosity factor is huge and will lead to some big openings pretty much everywhere except Asia (though I wouldn't be shocked if Indonesia surprised us with some insane numbers). 

 

I feel like there are so many variables here, which could take the movie into the SS-type numbers or keep it around Shazam. I honestly can't decide one way or another, and likely won't be able to until late summer, when we've had more footage and likely more insight into its supposed quality and worldwide release pattern (including China). 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LexJoker said:

Which movie holds the R-Rated Opening Day record(including previews)? IT?

 Opening day - Deadpool 2 (53m). Opening weekend - first Deadpool (132 m).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as this doesn’t suck (I think Phillips will surprise everyone and deliver a solid film tbh), I could see Joaquin scoring a nomination. Him and Hawke could have been nominees last year if they had stronger awards campaigns imo, and WB is no doubt gonna go all out on this for best actor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

So, if Joaquin Phoenix happens to win an Oscar for this movie (not saying it’s guaranteed, but you never know), would the Joker officially be classified as an Oscar-baity role? 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

So, if Joaquin Phoenix happens to win an Oscar for this movie (not saying it’s guaranteed, but you never know), would the Joker officially be classified as an Oscar-baity role? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope Joaquin wins for Joker. AMPAS needs to diversify type of roles that win. it's been biopic after biopic and ledger is the only capekino that ever won (plus supporting category is where villains thrive). 

 

now do we know which movie Scott Wanker (I'm not trying to be funny, but his last name escapes me and is similar to wanker lol) was referring to when he tweeted that he recently praised the first trailer and then read the script, yikes? Could be anything from Joker to Knives Out to Dark Fate to who knows what. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess we get a Riddler movie next?

 

Or was that already done with "Die Hard with a vengeance"  :sparta:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I hope Joaquin wins for Joker. AMPAS needs to diversify type of roles that win. it's been biopic after biopic and ledger is the only capekino that ever won (plus supporting category is where villains thrive). 

 

now do we know which movie Scott Wanker (I'm not trying to be funny, but his last name escapes me and is similar to wanker lol) was referring to when he tweeted that he recently praised the first trailer and then read the script, yikes? Could be anything from Joker to Knives Out to Dark Fate to who knows what. 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.