Eric Addams

Joker | Oct 4 2019 | BE WARNED | ZERO TOLERANCE

Warner Bros and DC are in the early stages of another Batman Universe spinoff movie, this one telling the origin story of the signature villain The Joker. The studio has set The Hangover‘s Todd Phillips to co-write a script with 8 Mile scribe Scott Silver. Phillips will direct the movie, and Martin Scorsese will produce it with Phillips. This will be the first film under a new banner that has yet to be named in which WB can expand the canon of DC properties and create unique storylines with different actors playing the iconic characters.

I’m told that the intention is to make an origin story that isn’t part of any other iteration. The Joker has memorably been part of two Batman movies in the form of Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger, and was most recently played by Jared Leto in the first Suicide Squad film. He will reprise in the Suicide Squad sequel and the Harley Quinn spinoff, but this new film will launch the character with a different actor, possibly younger.

An intriguing part is the setting. The intention is to make a gritty and grounded hard-boiled crime film set in early-’80s Gotham City that isn’t meant to feel like a DC movie as much as one of Scorsese’s films from that era, like Taxi Driver, Raging Bull or The King Of Comedy. I’m told that Phillips and Silver are writing already, but there is nothing firm on where this will fit into the DC schedule.

http://deadline.com/2017/08/the-joker-origin-movie-todd-phillips-martin-scorsese-scott-silver-batman-dc-universe-1202154053/

• Like 1

Interesting, sounds good to me. let's see if this actually gets made. 

• Like 3

Making The Joker the hero of his own story does not work. The Joker is pretty much just a force of nature, even in The Killing Joke they leave enough wiggle room for it not to be canon.

I do like the idea of expanding the canon of characters though, best to go with different characters, but if Scorcese is on deck, I can see this actually making it far into the development phase. Few names can get movies further than Scorcese (unless of course he bombs like Silence did). DiCaprio as a young Joker :rofl: 

• Thanks 2

This is so full of shit on every level it's actually kind of impressive. 

• Like 2

I'm not a big comic reader but I always liked the idea that the Joker's origin was shrouded in lies and mystery.

I don't really think this is gonna happen.  90% of these villain origins and standalones, nah.

Based on the description, this will probably be a lower budget effort releasing in August or September if it gets made. Doesn't feel like a summer blockbuster.

todd phillips directing like war dogs, martin scorsese producing like bleed for this...

miles teller gonna play the joker boyzzzz.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 6
  • Sad 1

I mean you gotta love that this entire project is 100% the thing that the definitive live-action movie featuring The Joker specifically found the time to take the piss out of.

• Like 2

@grim22

Help me out here, I know you read the comics too. Isn't getting obvious that they are going for a somewhat DC Rebirth after Justice League?

I mean, three Jokers / War of Jokes and Riddles, anyone? 

C8ftT7qUMAEPUnd-600x882.jpg

For those not understanding what the hell I'm going for, look at this:

https://www.google.com.br/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjHicP08-vVAhUEfZAKHSUUBiwQFggqMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ign.com%2Farticles%2F2016%2F05%2F25%2Fdc-rebirth-introduces-mind-blowing-joker-twist&usg=AFQjCNH8aJI_EbIBeVZQ8-swhnnZxt14AQ

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

todd phillips directing like war dogs, martin scorsese producing like bleed for this...

miles teller gonna play the joker boyzzzz.

I mean they might as well.  this project is already fucked so they should at least have some fun with it.

More origin spinoffs for characters who don't need them, moooooooooooooooooooooore

• Like 3

DCEU Rebirth is happening. I'm excited and scared at same time because focusing literally just on Batman wasn't exactly what I was expecting.