Eric Plus

Joker | Oct 4 2019 | BE WARNED | ZERO TOLERANCE

I think that raves for Phoenix will put him in front-runner seat. The movie has been seen and people can't talk about it yet but they are hinting at that he is in it to win it not just nomination-is-your-reward. 

I don’t understand why people seem to be acting like this movie needs to be a huge hit. It really doesn’t. There’s no reason that it has to break the October OW record, or anything like that. It’s obvious that this is meant to be an Awards contender, not a huge blockbuster. If it makes a lot of money, then cool, but people shouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t do huge business. Just because Venom did better than a lot of people were expecting, doesn’t mean this movie is going to perform like a big blockbuster. 

• Like 1

My thoughts exactly. October gives it some room, sure, but it has room because things don't normally break out huge in October. The Venom and Deadpool comparisons don't work because A: one was PG-13, and B: They were both presented as being blockbusters, with big action setpieces.

2 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

My thoughts exactly. October gives it some room, sure, but it has room because things don't normally break out huge in October. The Venom and Deadpool comparisons don't work because A: one was PG-13, and B: They were both presented as being blockbusters, with big action setpieces.

More importantly, they were both clearly superhero movies, even if their protagonists were more anti-heroes than anything. This clearly isn’t a superhero movie. It’s a psychological drama that just happens to be loosely based on a character associated with a comic book superhero. 

25 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Social media hype is far from a guarantee to actual box office though. It'll certainly be profitable (unless it's an outright bomb) given the budget, but I'm still bearish on a lot of the predictions I've been seeing.

As for Oscars, I think the best shot is probably makeup. Actor is also possible but there's definitely enough strong candidates he could get edged out.

Did nobody realise how great is the cinematography??

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Has as much chance as TFA did.

Actually, TFA had a pretty good chance of getting nominated. The Critics Choice Awards announced it as an additional Best Picture nominee after the initial nominees were announced and some other guilds gave it a nom as well. Disney just didn't push for it because of the late release date and they didn't want spoilers to leak. I don't think they even did advanced critic screenings.

https://www.usnews.com/news/entertainment/articles/2015-12-22/critics-choice-add-force-awakens-as-best-picture-nominee

Edited by infamous5445

47 minutes ago, infamous5445 said:

Actually, TFA had a pretty good chance of getting nominated. The Critics Choice Awards announced it as an additional Best Picture nominee after the initial nominees were announced and some other guilds gave it a nom as well. Disney just didn't push for it because of the late release date and they didn't want spoilers to leak. I don't think they even did advanced critic screenings.

https://www.usnews.com/news/entertainment/articles/2015-12-22/critics-choice-add-force-awakens-as-best-picture-nominee

yeah, it got Editing nom so if Disney had pushed it it would have been nominated in Picture I guess. But JJ's mystery box crap put the stop to precursor screenings. Lack of Guild and Globes screening killed its chances. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, infamous5445 said:

TFA getting the Critics Choice nom is as meaningful as Deadpool and Wonder Woman getting PGA nominations (hell, it's probably less meaningful because guild award nominations and wins are way more important precursors to a Best Picture nom).

TFA did as well as it did in the Academy and managed a handful of awards because it's Star Wars (same reason why TLJ still managed to pick up a Best Score nomination). Superhero movies don't have the kind of clout Star Wars has.

14 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

TFA getting the Critics Choice nom is as meaningful as Deadpool and Wonder Woman getting PGA nominations (hell, it's probably less meaningful because guild award nominations and wins are way more important precursors to a Best Picture nom).

TFA did as well as it did in the Academy and managed a handful of awards because it's Star Wars (same reason why TLJ still managed to pick up a Best Score nomination). Superhero movies don't have the kind of clout Star Wars has.

I'm just saying, there is a small chance, even though it probably won't happen. Being the highest grossing movie ever certainly doesn't hurt either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Did nobody realise how great is the cinematography??

Not up against TWO Roger Deakins movies they won't.

I would say that Endgame doesn’t really deserve a Best Picture nom, but then again, Black Panther got one, and 2019 so far hasn’t been a particularly strong year for movies anyway, so whatever. At the very least, it might give them some decent ratings. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Not Cool 2

Posted (edited)

I love how everyone is so sure about what is or isn’t going to happen with this movie lol. 

Edited by cax16

It had been reported by this point that Black Panther had gotten a serious campaign planned out, so it doesn't sound like any push for Endgame would be nearly as extensive.

Posted (edited)

Well Jack was nominated for the Globe for "Batman 89" playing Joker.  Heath won the Globe and Oscar for "The Dark Knight" playing the Joker.  "Suicide Squad" won the Oscar for hair/makeup and Jared Leto's Joker played a role in that.   Joaquin is long overdue for his countless amazing performances.  If he knocks it out the park, I definitely wouldn't be shocked if he gets Globe and Oscar nods.  Based on that trailer, it felt like if Martin Scorsese made a comic book movie. Todd said it was influenced by several of his films and has Robert Deniro as well.   They also kept he budget in check, I'm interested to see what this can do in October especially after what happen with "Venom" and "Halloween" last year. 

Edited by filmscholar

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

Well Jack was nominated for the Globe for "Batman 89" playing Joker.  Heath won the Globe and Oscar for "The Dark Knight" playing the Joker.  "Suicide Squad" won the Oscar for hair/makeup and Jared Leto's Joker played a role in that.   Joaquin is long overdue for his countless amazing performances.  If he knocks it out the park, I definitely wouldn't be shocked if he gets Globe and Oscar nods.  Based on that trailer, it felt like if Martin Scorsese made a comic book movie. Todd said it was influenced by several of his films and has Robert Deniro as well.   They also kept he budget in check, I'm interested to see what this can do in October especially after what happen with "Venom" and "Halloween" last year. 

Probably because it's basically a remake of Scorcese's King of Comedy but with Joker.

Edited by SpiderByte

11 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

Given that Scorsese's company is co producing the movie, and one of the producers pretty much is Scorsese's right hand person (she has produced Scorsese's last few films, including "Wolf of Wall Street")  and that Scorsese was going to be one of the producers until he dropped out to concentrate on "The Irishman" I I would say that, yeah, although he does not get an official credit, this film is going to be heavily influcned by Scorsese...………..

ANybody else catch that De Niro's "You think you are funny" line in the Joker trailer is sort of a homage to Pesci's famous "You thin I am a funny guy" scene in "Goodfellas".

4 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Probably because it's basically a remake of Scorcese's King of Comedy but with Joker.

That new trailer felt like a mixture of "King of Comedy" and "Taxi Driver".   It was wild.  Love the way it's shot.  

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Given that Scorsese's company is co producing the movie, and one of the producers pretty much is Scorsese's right hand person (she has produced Scorsese's last few films, including "Wolf of Wall Street")  and that Scorsese was going to be one of the producers until he dropped out to concentrate on "The Irishman" I I would say that, yeah, although he does not get an official credit, this film is going to be heavily influcned by Scorsese...………..

ANybody else catch that De Niro's "You think you are funny" line in the Joker trailer is sort of a homage to Pesci's famous "You thin I am a funny guy" scene in "Goodfellas".

Emma Koskoff (the producer you are talking about) also was able to get crew from The Irishman working on this film.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

It had been reported by this point that Black Panther had gotten a serious campaign planned out, so it doesn't sound like any push for Endgame would be nearly as extensive.

Is there such push for EG? For BP was buzzed as a contender this time last year despite its February release. I'm not hearing shit about EG tbh. 

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Is there such push for EG? For BP was buzzed as a contender this time last year despite its February release. I'm not hearing shit about EG tbh. 

That's literally what I just said but okay